Proper Way to Back Up .23.5 Game Data?

Yes. In particular you need to copy "persistent.sfs" but you'll probably want the whole game-folder from within Saves.

I just made a duplicate folder of my original one. Then renamed the duplicate "KSP .23.5" & the original "KSP.24". How's that? Will KSP be able to distinguish between which one I want to use at a particular point in time?

Scott Manley had a great suggestion in his tutorial videos... for Steam users. Go into Steam/steamapps/common and copy the Kerbal Space Program folder to another location. He says this is all legal to do. Then you always have a pristine, untouched version in the Steam folder... and you run your actual KSP games from the other folder that you copied. Then you can add mods, do whatever you like, without worry. Plus, you don't even have to load up Steam to run the game. I don't need Steam running in the background all the time.

I have a KSP 0.23 folder for the previous version's games, and now I made a KSP 0.24 folder for my new games. I deleted local content thru Steam for the old KSP, and then I clicked "Install game" to get the newest version today.

Edited by asb3pe

That's what I do actually - keep a copy of the entire install. KSP won't be able to tell which you want to use so you'll need to create separate shortcuts for the different KSP.exe files (they're the program itself). Or, of course, you can run those files directly by clicking on them

I just made a duplicate folder of my original one. Then renamed the duplicate "KSP .23.5" & the original "KSP.24". How's that? Will KSP be able to distinguish between which one I want to use at a particular point in time?

Yes. This works perfectly and is also how I manage my folders (just like Pecan). That way each one is a fresh install with no merged files.

If desired, you can then copy the contents of your "saves" directory over into the new version. That way you will also have backup copies of your save games in case something goes wrong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.