What is you current mission in KSP?

gmpd2000

Right now, I'm earning a lot of reputation by returning kerbals. They aren't going far, just to the pad and back, but it's great for my programs records!

(It does depreciate though. I hope it's also proportional to where those kerbals have been.)

Right now, I'm earning a lot of reputation by returning kerbals. They aren't going far, just to the pad and back, but it's great for my programs records!

(It does depreciate though. I hope it's also proportional to where those kerbals have been.)

My program is the best at safely returning Kerbals who have daringly sat on a launchpad.

Currently checking the feasibility of my two-mission tech tree maximization strategy when confined by a budget. Thus far the answer seems to be "are you kidding, of course it can still be done". I'll have to see what contracts and advanced I've unlocked from my mission-one Minmus jaunt to be sure, but I think doing so will unlock contracts for the Mun, Minmus, Duna, and Ike, giving me more than enough advance funds to complete my crazy plan.

The equivalent to spawning a capsule on launch pad for and runway easy science before any other serious mission ... :D

The equivalent to spawning a capsule on launch pad for and runway easy science before any other serious mission ... :D

in 0.24, that was the SECOND thing i did, right after "launch a new vessel" and "reach 5km altitude" on my first launch

Testing a solid rocket booster between 1000 and 7100 meter at a speed of at least 370m/s.

IMPOSSIBLE

Hmm, that's a different one then the booster I just tested. After a few aborted attempts the penny dropped the check marks showing up green indicate that the conditions are met to _start_ the actual test. LOL

Greets,

Jan

Testing a solid rocket booster between 1000 and 7100 meter at a speed of at least 370m/s.

IMPOSSIBLE

What, never tried to see how far you can go with one single SRB? Hint, they can burn at angles of more than straight up, also you don't need to use a SRB to get to the testing conditions.

What, never tried to see how far you can go with one single SRB? Hint, they can burn at angles of more than straight up, also you don't need to use a SRB to get to the testing conditions.

I know that, didn't know about the angle, but using 1 SRB is not possible, as I will get above 7100 meters before i reach 370m/s.

I will try firing at an angle.

IMPOSSIBLE

I really like the idea of these challenges. I guess everyone of us has become accustomed to his (or her) own way to play KSP. Many things are done not for efficiency, but just because out of habit and ignorance. Creating (often stupid) goals like that will force you to think out of the box again.

I'm looking for a way to make cheap SSTOs viable. Currently: 1.5 tons to orbit with 485 funds, provided you land on the runway in one piece. The problem is, once you get rapier engines you are probably so far into the career that funds become a non-issue :/

Although I wouldn't say impossible, but I did get testing boosters ad 25000 to 30000 meters, which means building special rockets for this purpose. then I started also to notice the pay out ot these kind of jobs as very low. This combined with very high requirements. I'm thinking to skip them.

I had a lot of fun getting parashutes tested. below 8000 meters ad speeds over 400m/s ending up putting three boosters to a fuel tank with cocpit lancing it ad 45 degrees and deploying the shutes and decoupling the boosters when the riquirement was there.

found it a bid strange

my two cents

IMPOSSIBLE

Launch straight up and get into space, 736 km straight up should do fine. Wait and let gravity do its thing. BE amazed you don't burn up upon re-entry. Hope you have enough mass to keep the speed as well as remembering to have an extra test stage just incase you need a speed boost downwards. Also remember to have a parachute on a seprate stage to prevent unwanted slow downs as well as from ripping off anything they are attached to. Also remember to add chutes too.

Edit: The ones I dislike a lot are. Test SRB at 18km+ at 70-170 m/s. Not impossable just time consuming getting the timing right for them.

Edited by Aragosnat

With reputation making it all the more important to keep the little rascals alive, it makes me wonder if we are going to forget how much fun it was to kill them. I would love for a contract that comes up after a kerbal or crew gets killed, that demands something be done in their memory, like planting a flag somewhere(a certain biome of some specified world, including Kerbin) or "doing a barrel roll" over the KSC. It would give you a chance to restore lost reputation, plus give a deeper sense of feel for the space program itself. Even though they are cloned sentient vegetables, these little guys have a glorified purpose, and all should be respected who step forward to take the risk.

I'm looking for a way to make cheap SSTOs viable. Currently: 1.5 tons to orbit with 485 funds, provided you land on the runway in one piece. The problem is, once you get rapier engines you are probably so far into the career that funds become a non-issue :/

Not necessarily. There will be many players who will reach the higher tech tiers by the skin of their wallets with a big chunk of the solar system yet to be visited. Imagine betting it all in investing in a refueling station and building an SSTO to not only get to that station, but refueling there and taking a crew of three on a mission to a high-reward trip to Jool and back. Anything can go wrong, from miscalculating the delta-v for the most economical launch window, to losing critical parts that would make it a one-way trip. But if the mission succeeds, your space program just got saved with anything becoming possible. If it fails, your funds will be gone, stuck floating out there in Kerbin orbit and also in solar orbit, along with three big reputations you will never get back.

Those are the moments we should aspire for. This isn't about making a successful landing on the Mun, anymore. This is about making the Kerbin solar system ours to do with as we will, and we have so much more challenge in doing it. Space is out there; let's go shopping.

At the moment? Trying to build a rocket capable of going interplanetary without spending much money. (I have tons of funds, but I'm a cheapskate).

The difference between my attitude in .235 and .24 is rather striking.

.235: Well technically I could use rockomax sized parts and be more efficient, but using Kerbodyne to lift everything is so much easier...

.24 : Well technically I could use rockomax sized parts and lift heavy stuff, but using small parts to lift everything is so much cheaper...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.