The "Quickloading Withdrawal" Thread

moeggz

If you're a real engineer, you do test runs. I see no reason to feel guilty about reverting to hangar.

Basically, this. Launch and revert remains, by far, the best way to collect information about vessel performance. This, combined with the presence of bugs, krakens, my own math errors, and other nasties, is why I have no problem using it.

If you're a real engineer, you do test runs. I see no reason to feel guilty about reverting to hangar.

IRL test flights cost money. I like the idea that if you're testing something, it's going to cost money to do so. Although like others, once I get beyond Kerbin's SOI I might miss my revert/QS/QL...

Edited by tgruetzm

And I agree there is no reason to feel guilty. I did that all the time and had fun. This thread is for those who are trying the game a different way. We're not saying that it's the right way, this is just how we are trying it for a change for fun. :)

So.... I guess I don't understand the "I never use F5" thing. Does it really matter if you have a save point? I would think the F9 key would be much more pertinent to the discussion. I quicksave after every maneuver, but I very rarely quickload. I don't think it's unreasonable to have a save point in the case that the kraken (or some other bug/freeze/situation beyond your control) strikes.

Edited by Beachernaut

I can't remember the last time I hit F5. I will do it once in a while in sandbox if I'm building(via docking) something kraken-worthy. I never think about it or wish I could reload when something dos happen. I've come across a mod for random failures but, to me, we've already got that with all the bugs. The latest one is a weird EVA camera bug that bounced me out of my capsule during the crucial low altitude flyby of Minmus so I managed to miss out on about half science for the mission. :( I went back to Minus with a lab. It took about a dozen launches to get the Minmus station right, included 5 wasted fuel runs and two useless landers. Fun times.

I've reverted a couple of flights in this career save trying to figure out how the contracts fulfillment works. But, let's face it, simple rockets with payloads between 2-50T are routine to build and fly. Everyone should know how to throw a decent rocket together by now. If not, throw some of your budget at testing runs. Who knows, you may accidently put your test fuel into orbit for later use.

• 2 weeks later...

I've returned to tell a sad tale. Jeb is dead. ;.; he was coming in for a routine landing from a munar mission and was landing in the ocean. Normally I just land the pod, but with recoverable parts I was going for the whole munar lander. I had the parachutes up, engines full throttle and was at around 12 m/s when it hit the water. The pod can survive that. I thought the ship could too but it did not and the explosion killed Jeb. So now I join the majority of us "Ironman" players with a Jeb-less save. I've replaced him with Ribvey, the first kerbalnaut I rescued because Jeb was his savior, and mentor in my headcannon. There is a nice memorial for him on the mun. Now we see how long Bill and Bob last....

It's definitely a new experience for me. While I was sad to see Jeb go, not resetting IS, as I hoped, making the game mean more to me and making me play with more planning and thought. I mean I now have the makeshift LES of two seperatrons on my pods that has saved countless kerbals, even Jeb a few times. That is way, personally for me again not saying this is how the game should be played its just the way I'm playing, more deep and entertaining, IMHO. I think I'm past withdrawal now and on into a life free of quickloading addiction. :)

I'm not too sure I could do without the revert button, for one simple reason:

All too often I launch a 1-seat rescue mission, stage, and then realize Jeb or Bob's in the only seat the instant the rocket starts climbing.

I really wish we could set a seat to 'fill' or 'not fill' by default in the VAB...

This is the most annoying thing ever, I'd prefer it if there was no setting of crew in the VAB, and it just brought up a little crew window when you're at the pad then there can be no issues.

Of course the solution to the rescue mission problem is to ditch the little seat hogger in orbit.

I'm currently going interplanetary on my carrer and i didn't use f9 or revert at any time.

It was very difficult and i often try to find the "revert to launch" button after a crash.

However i think it add challenge because you really have to build cost efficient rockets, you never know how the launch will be and losing 1/2 of my money is very frustrating

I'll be honest, I never really used the quicksave/quickload functions. However, I've been a blatant abuser of "return to Hangar" for missions. I've decided, no more of this. No more weaseling out and just warping to the hangar whenever a plane starts to explode. No more "Oh crap, there's a missing fuel line. Time to restart!" No more "Well, maybe if I cram the throttle wide open this time, I'll get a better takeoff, let's relaunch" tactics.

The result: Frustration. I go for those buttons only to remember - after I brought out the menu - that I disabled them already. So I spend a good chunk of time watching failed designs turn into million-root fireworks. Then again, I'm enjoying watching my very expensive fireworks, and half the time my ejection systems save the pilots, so that's always a plus.

Basically, this. Launch and revert remains, by far, the best way to collect information about vessel performance. This, combined with the presence of bugs, krakens, my own math errors, and other nasties, is why I have no problem using it.

Unfortunately a great many Jeb-like test pilots have been killed during test flights of experimental aircraft, from the earliest X-planes all they way through to the modern F-22 and V-22. I say build your rockets and do test flights w/o critical personnel or payload. Probecores are your friend:) Regarding bugs and krakens I definitely agree with you, which is why I don't actually use the debug menu to disable reverts.

The question is how the hell do you areocapture at Jool, especially with FAR. Maybe just give up on trying and use a combined gravity assist at Laythe and burn the rest of the way into orbit? It is likely that humans will never aerobrake at Jupiter without massive amounts of radiation shielding; if Jool has a magnetic field then there are probably similar radiation problems there thus you could justify a burn-to-capture on role play grounds. Still, throwing away so much freebie dV is a tough pill to swallow.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.