[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

In my opinion there is no reason for DebRefund and StageRecovery to compete, so I'm going to suggest that people use DebRefund as the UI integration and gameplay mechanics are better than what I'm offering here. It also means I can focus more directly on KCT, which has yet to have a 0.24 release. Vendan and I are in talks of getting compatibility between DebRefund and KCT for recovery mechanics.

DebRefund: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86691-0-24-DebRefund-v1-0-4

If for some reason you really want to use this instead, let me know. Otherwise, KCT will have virtually identical recovery mechanics when it releases. Kerbal and Science recovery will not be supported in KCT, however.

Currently DebRefund crashes KSP 64 bit for me, so I wouldn't mind still being able to try this if possible.

The debrefund doesn't work with kerbals and realchute yet, so there's still a use for this.

This isn't really the right thread for it, but please look before you assume. DebRefund has supported RealChute, kerbal AND science recovery since at least 5 hours ago.

In 32bit it works fine, but in 64bit it doesn't work (for some people it does work).

Well since I'm using 64bit, that means I can't use it yet. Does anybody have any alternative recommendations with regards to part recovery mods?

I added the download link back to the front page, but it is use at your own risk. I don't plan on continuing support unless there is a large demand. Support for this overlaps heavily with KCT so it's not hard to continue support, I just didn't see a reason to if DebRefund is basically the same thing but better.

Science recovery is not supported. Kerbal recovery is (but without any reputation gains) but is disabled by default.

KCT will have it's own recovery once that's updated and won't require DebRefund, but I'm trying to add additional features to KCT when the two are used together.

Nooo, don't abandon yet... DebRefund doesn't work at all for me, and this works perfectly. :(

Well, you're in luck I put out at least one more update. This one adds science recovery, integrates with the message system, and recovers at 100% of the normal landed recovery if a probe core is attached. Stage destroyed messages are enabled by default, but can be disabled in the config file.

I can't promise continued support, but for the time being if DebRefund isn't working for you, this may still.

Keep going magic! Competition makes it so much better! Plus I'm using yours ;)

If it's simple enough to maintain then I may still update it. Enough of the codebase is identical to KCT's recovery code that any changes to one can be copied over to the other (and any bugs in one are likely present in the other). An instance of that was just fixed with the 1.1.2 version. A small bug found in KCT where stages with multiples of the same part would fail recovery.

With that said, there's a new version that fixes that bug. The download is on the front page.

I appreciate the support guys :)

Small update for typical users, but a large update in my learning of C#. For typical users this update adds the ability to have Kerballed command pods increase the recovery modifier from (default) 75% up to 100% of stock (just like the last update did for probe cores). You will want to enable Kerbal Recovery in the config file (GameData/StageRecovery/Config.txt) otherwise your Kerbals won't survive.

For modders: This update adds an easy to use Wrapper class to access the StageRecovery API. There are two Events exposed by the API, RecoverySuccessEvent and RecoveryFailureEvent. Whenever a stage is recovered, all the methods listening to RecoverySuccessEvent are invoked with the Vessel and a Dictionary<string, int> containing the part names and quantity. The same goes for stage recovery failure, but with the RecoveryFailureEvent. The listening methods must be of the type "void". The wrapper contains methods for adding your listeners to or removing them from the events without requiring a hard dependency on StageRecovery. There's a link on the front page to the wrapper class. Kerbal Construction Time currently uses the API to let SR do all of the recovery processing and then just uses the returned parts for itself. The whole vessel is returned though, so you could do anything on it that you could with a normal vessel passed to the onVesselDestroy stock event.

A note on future support:

Even if I don't try to compete directly with DebRefund, this mod lets me add a lot of things that I would like to have optional in KCT but don't feel comfortable adding directly to KCT. As such, I think I'm going to keep working on it. I've got a couple fun ideas I want to implement (powered landings, Deadly Reentry support, in-game checker for if stages will pass recovery tests), that would enhance the KCT experience but would also work nicely on their own in this.

Nothing wrong with different flavors of similar mods anyway. I mean gods, how many minimap plugins does Minecraft have now?

I'm going to try to not look at what DebRefund is doing to avoid copying anything from it. If these two mods evolve separately, they'll become entirely different entities, which I think would be better than two very similar but slightly different mods. So I'm just not going to worry about DebRefund unless I absolutely have to. If enough people request a feature like something DebRefund has, I'll likely add it but with my own style.

Honestly, it seems like neither one of these work for me. I'm 64bit now. It seems really erratic. I was using deb, works fine, everything goes smoothly... and then i start up ksp the next day and going to the vab crashes the game consistently. Similarly, i try to use this mod, I get the same problems. I do have many mods in use, but this didnt really hit me until after the very first releases. I would gather the 64bit is just really touchy right now and these mods are possibly best played with new careers/stable mod packages. Might be this will all really shine later.

This works perfect for me still. Good stuff! Plus this seems to lack the drama in Deb's, poor guy.

Wow, just read through that. A lot of fuss over an update checker :/ KCT has an automatic update checker, but the default option is based on what the user chose for sending progress data to Squad (I figure if you don't want Squad to see any data, you probably don't want any excess network communication, even just receiving a number) and it's configurable by the user after that. If I do update checking for StageRecovery it will follow the same process.

Honestly, it seems like neither one of these work for me.

In the KSP folder there is another folder called KSP_Data and in that there is a file called output_log.txt. If you can get me that file (using dropbox or something like that) from after a play session where the problems occur I can take a look and see if I can find the problem. For the future, if you're reporting a bug for any mod, include that file and the authors will be very happy :)

Edited by magico13

Opt in is fine but assuming it's ok to make connections from someone's machine without any input from the user is a serious no no. I've currently got KSP forbidden to do anything via firewall and kerbalstuff.com got itself an entry in my router firewall (I simply do not trust anything from there any more). All this phone home stuff is getting over the top, one mod did it and now half the community is doing it.

Anyway, I've deleted DebRefunds (he only hosts on [Moderator removed defunct website] now) and I'll give yours a shot.

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

In the KSP folder there is another folder called KSP_Data and in that there is a file called output_log.txt. If you can get me that file (using dropbox or something like that) from after a play session where the problems occur I can take a look and see if I can find the problem. For the future, if you're reporting a bug for any mod, include that file and the authors will be very happy :)
It was mainly just a comment, but i'll try it again and get you one later. I'm still not entirely sure if its mods like yours specifically, but I know everything runs when I remove them. Perhaps you can tell me later hehe.

Opt in is fine but assuming it's ok to make connections from someone's machine without any input from the user is a serious no no. I've currently got KSP forbidden to do anything via firewall and kerbalstuff.com got itself an entry in my router firewall (I simply do not trust anything from there any more). All this phone home stuff is getting over the top, one mod did it and now half the community is doing it.

To be fair, for most mods it's just a convenience to be alerted to an update. I definitely agree that you should be able to easily enable or disable it, and should be notified if it is enabled. I've actually made the update checker status more clear in KCT with the latest update based on this comment. Either way, no intentional data is collected, it literally just pulls an 8 Byte file which contains a number and compares the number. I like the convenience of update checkers, since trying to manually check for updates for 40 mods is a time consuming chore to me, as such I'll probably add one to StageRecovery in the future, but I will make sure to confirm with the user before running the initial check.

It was mainly just a comment, but i'll try it again and get you one later. I'm still not entirely sure if its mods like yours specifically, but I know everything runs when I remove them. Perhaps you can tell me later hehe.

Well, if it is an issue with my mod then I'd like to know about it, and if it isn't an issue with my mod then maybe I can help figure out why you're having issues :)

Just a quick question to help clarify something for me. I received 46.1% return on a solid fuel rocket booster. The information below says "Stock Module used. Terminal velocity of 3.85 (10 needed)."

I'm assuming that means it was okay, and needed to be below the terminal velocity of 10? Or does it mean I need to have it land at 10 for a higher return?

Does this work for RealChutes? So, if I "arm" a parachute as a stage is dropped, and it then goes beyond physics range, does it still pick it up? Or does the parachute have to be deployed?

This is designed to work with real chutes and the parachutes don't even need to be armed, just attached, though it's generally a good idea to arm them, especially if low in altitude.

Just a quick question to help clarify something for me. I received 46.1% return on a solid fuel rocket booster. The information below says "Stock Module used. Terminal velocity of 3.85 (10 needed)."

I'm assuming that means it was okay, and needed to be below the terminal velocity of 10? Or does it mean I need to have it land at 10 for a higher return?

It's supposed to say <10 needed, so yes everything is ok. For some reason the less than sign doesn't appear, but the greater than sign works. Higher returns are gotten by using a probe core or kerballed command pod (make sure you enable Kerbal recovery if use a command pod) and by dropping the stages closer to KSC. You get a flat return percentage (modified by distance) as long as the velocity is below 10.