[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

The official update for 0.90 is version 1.5.2. KerbalStuff and Curse don't realize 0.90 has released yet, so the KSP versions are wrong on there. Here's a quick rundown of the changes (sorry, not a whole lot. I haven't gotten a chance to work on SR in a while):

1.5.2 - (12/15/2014)

- Compatibility update for KSP 0.90

- Automatic recovery of launch clamps when they are unloaded.

- Right clicking on a stage in the flight GUI will now delete it.

- Added indicator to flight GUI showing which stage is selected.

- Several bug fixes.

- Contains a bug where kerbals will lose experience if they are in the craft when it's "recovered". Will be fixed soon.

I also just realized that while I added an option to use a custom TWR requirement for powered recovery, I didn't actually make that do anything. Oops. I'll fix that at the same time I fix the above mentioned bug.

This wasn't thoroughly tested, so there may be some bugs. Let me know how it goes!

@MartGonzo That's not something I've seen happen before. Perhaps it was just a fluke error. Should it happen again, grab me the log file as well and maybe I can find something in there that might offer some explanation.

Edited by magico13

Freaking awesome. I know this sounds snobby but I was uninterested in actually playing .90 until StageRecovery was updated. I honestly appreciate integrated Fine Print and Tanuki Chau's biomes, but it's still baffling why SQUAD hasn't implemented this feature yet.

I would be surprised if Squad didn't implement a similar feature at some point, but I imagine they'd take a more "polished" approach. StageRecovery's approach of assuming best-case scenarios, while simple and effective, is probably not the "best" way of handling things. With that said, it is still much better than the current system of not handling the situation at all!

Edit: I apparently didn't test something before release because I'm an idiot. I'll be putting a bugfix out in a few minutes.

Edited by magico13

The official update for 0.90 is version 1.5.2. KerbalStuff and Curse don't realize 0.90 has released yet, so the KSP versions are wrong on there. Here's a quick rundown of the changes (sorry, not a whole lot. I haven't gotten a chance to work on SR in a while):

1.5.2 - (12/15/2014)

- Compatibility update for KSP 0.90

- Automatic recovery of launch clamps when they are unloaded.

- Right clicking on a stage in the flight GUI will now delete it.

- Added indicator to flight GUI showing which stage is selected.

- Several bug fixes.

- Contains a bug where kerbals will lose experience if they are in the craft when it's "recovered". Will be fixed soon.

I also just realized that while I added an option to use a custom TWR requirement for powered recovery, I didn't actually make that do anything. Oops. I'll fix that at the same time I fix the above mentioned bug.

This wasn't thoroughly tested, so there may be some bugs. Let me know how it goes!

@MartGonzo That's not something I've seen happen before. Perhaps it was just a fluke error. Should it happen again, grab me the log file as well and maybe I can find something in there that might offer some explanation.

Can you add a function where this mod's abilities are added to a building's upgrade plan? Like something early on, like the tracking station or something? That way it has a good stock feel and you need to invest money into a certain building before you can start to make money back.

Of course there are some of you out there that may not like the idea (unless I'm wrong) therefore I would suggest making this an option or something.

Of course there are some of you out there that may not like the idea (unless I'm wrong) therefore I would suggest making this an option or something.

I do love configurability ;) But this actually sounds like a great idea! I could either tie it to a tech node or to a building upgrade. I don't know which would be best, so I'd like to hear what all of you suggest.

That's probably a good idea, since StageRecovery changes the balance of the stock game in the player's favor.

How about increasing recovery radii for each upgrade of the tracking station? For example, with a level 1 tracking station, you can recover stages up to, say, 20km as the crow flies from the space center. And upgrading the VAB and SPH increases the amount of funds recovered. Or even what parts can be recovered - you need a level 2 VAB to refurbish engines and boosters, maybe.

I dunno about tech tree integration, though, that seems to be better suited for parts mods. I could be wrong, though.

Edited by swankidelic

A tech node works too but I think you can actually tie it to multiple buildings so you have to unlock a tier in multiple buildings to get the feature. At least that's what I assume from seeing some existing building upgrade explanations. Not saying do it, just saying it looks possible.

Ok, unless I messed something else up along the way, 1.5.2.1 should be working fine. I think Squad made the editor text bold face in the parachute parameter text, which broke my parser.

Regarding tying to buildings, you're right, I like that a lot more than the tech tree. I like the idea of tracking station = maximum range. How about admin building (or mission control?) = percent recovered. Whichever isn't the previous one could be Maximum Value returned? Keep tossing out ideas! I've got to go to sleep soon so I'm not exhausted for work tomorrow morning, but I'll check out what you guys come up with when I get up.

I thought that attaching fund percentage to the VAB/SPH emulates the ability to repair and refurbish parts after they've been brought back. Maybe I've got Kerbal Construction Time on the brain, though =) I dunno about using the Admin or Mission Control buildings for recovery. It seems like a technical engineering task, not a leadership task, you know? Maybe Administration is managing the logistics of the boats and trains and trucks bringing the parts back. I'd be happy with the feature either way =)

I do love configurability ;) But this actually sounds like a great idea! I could either tie it to a tech node or to a building upgrade. I don't know which would be best, so I'd like to hear what all of you suggest.

I like the idea of it being the tracking station.

Maybe each level of the tracking station equals a higher percentage of the value recovered?

Okay, how about this : the tracking station and mission planning combine to increase the range, mission planning and admin combine to equal increased DRE speed values, and the VAB and tracking station together makes a better return value?

So far, in the newest version for 0.90 I have had zero luck with stage recovery. I've launched stages after checking whether they will work, and tried countless times with not one successful stage recovered. I have tried only the standard Squad parachutes with zero success. For some reason I'm getting terminal readings 200+ for just a empty fuel can with a chute on it.

So far, in the newest version for 0.90 I have had zero luck with stage recovery. I've launched stages after checking whether they will work, and tried countless times with not one successful stage recovered. I have tried only the standard Squad parachutes with zero success. For some reason I'm getting terminal readings 200+ for just a empty fuel can with a chute on it.

same here, non of my SRB with stock parachute works. Gets 99-100% sucess rate in VAB, but the parachute does not seem to work. always terminal velocity of 100+

Also reporting the same bug -- powered recovery works great, but the terminal velocity calculation ignores all parachutes.

I tried both versions 1.5.2.1 and 1.5.2 on otherwise vanilla KSP 90.0.705 Beta.

Edited by walnut49

Also reporting the same bug -- powered recovery works great, but the terminal velocity calculation ignores all parachutes.

I tried both versions 1.5.2.1 and 1.5.2 on otherwise vanilla KSP 90.0.705 Beta.

Confirmed, same result here =\

Before .90 KSP I decided not to do the stage recovery thing because money was just too easy anyway.

But I tell you what, Hardcore .90 KSP with all the upgrades and buildings.. It might even be considered a grind fest at this point.. Still playing but stage recovery is going to help at this point. When some building upgrades get into the 5 Million range... WOW.

...I really hope this is working, as after Trying 2 or 3 new campains, on normal settings, I realised I have to change how I play -so much- to be able to progress without getting stuck, so hopefully this will help save a -bit- of money X_X

Same here. Empty RT-10 Booster with 4 chutes gets destroyed by too much terminal velocity everytime. If i would do a bet, the drag from the (open) parachutes don't get applied to it and it just crashes unbraked into the ground.

...I really hope this is working, as after Trying 2 or 3 new campains, on normal settings, I realised I have to change how I play -so much- to be able to progress without getting stuck, so hopefully this will help save a -bit- of money X_X

Or just change the amount of money you get in the options instead your playstyle ;)