[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

How long ago did you download SR? If it was more than a day or two ago, I'd first recommend redownloading. It's possible that you managed to download the broken 1.5.2 version, or the 1.5.2.1 that was mispackaged, which both could exhibit those symptoms. I'm also assuming this is on 0.90

Indeed, that was it! I had the bad 1.5.2.1.

I redownloaded it and it works fine!

Thanks!

Edited by Phoenix84

found a fix for the experience

go to your save, search "dead"

remove those lines from the kerbals

load the save

That doesn't fix the issue where inactive vessels with Kerbals in them get recovered by this mod, but the Kerbals lose their experience. Having to edit a save file every single time you recover a vessel in this way would get tedious.

For the time being, I guess it's best to just not auto-recover any Kerbals.

Hi I have found something strange and I'm not sure i fit is caused by Stage recovery or not be seems to be.

I flew a mission with Jeb and I separated the booster rocket with real chutes mod and I swithched to view it and it was too then it became too far away from the command pod and I could not switch back to it.

Thats Ok however as the command pod was returned via Stage recovery thank goodness... it was the first time I had experienced not bringing a pod back to kerbin by accident.

I'm playing in hard mode by the way and haven't lost a kerbonaut yet..

But when I checked on Jeb at his condo at the Kerbonauts facility all his experience had been expuged. He had started with at least half a bar much like his scientist and engineer buddies Bill and Bob.

Whooa .. this isn't fair... what happened to Jeb?

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o75/Martin_Ellis/Martins%20KSP%20screen%20shots/c743afc2-6646-4388-a39f-cb22fc4033b9.png' alt='c743afc2-6646-4388-a39f-cb22fc4033b9.png'>

I'm on mobile, so can't post a whole lot, but if you'll check the first post there's a big warning saying they'll lose experience if they get recovered this way. I'm looking into it, but have been working on getting a 0.90 update out for KCT first.

Ah yes... sorry for not searching more.. I found the way to open the save file and changed the last flight to show as landed and not died .. it worked. sweet.

Very interesting and I can cover this now.

Thank you magico13.

Asking works :-)

might aswell keep this on each new page till it's fixed...

As a temporary workaround... yes, I agree. Or when magico gets a chance he could add that info to the OP. We'll still get people who don't check the last 2 pages or the OP before asking the same questions, but thats life.

Even though SR doesn't properly track landing sites based on predicted trajectories I agree that should have had a distance of near 1000 km. The way distance is calculated is by finding the Great Circle Distance using the latitude and longitude of the craft at deletion (as reported by KSP) from the Space Center. It seems KSP isn't correctly reporting the latitude and longitude values for some vessels. Nonphysical timewarp has been known to cause strange issues and I wouldn't be surprised if it were related some how.

I have seen similar behavior once or twice. It's likely the same problem as above. I'll look into finding a different way of determining the latitude and longitude of the craft at destruction. I know it isn't the Great Circle Distance calculation, since that is a stock function that would affect all recoveries and no one has reported similar issues with stock games.

Powered recovery shouldn't affect this, but thank you for double checking :)

I just installed Scansat and Blizzy's toolbar on my 0.90 game and this bug is back. Anything dropped under about 10k lands at 781.52km for 61.5%. StageRecovery worked perfectly before I added them.

Edited by Rasip

I just installed Scansat and Blizzy's toolbar on my 0.90 game and this bug is back. Anything dropped under about 10k lands at 781.52km for 61.5%. StageRecovery worked perfectly before I added them.

Thanks for that update, I wonder if somehow they're directly related. I'll try taking a look at that in the future, thanks! :)

I just uploaded 1.5.3 which includes a fix for Kerbals losing experience when recovered by StageRecovery. Thank you lIAceI for discovering the temporary fix, which helped me figure out what was causing the issue so I could repair it on my end.

For those of you who are curious, I basically did the same thing as the fix lIAceI used, but in code. First I removed the "Die" flight event, then created two new ones: "Land, Kerbin" and "Recover", which means Kerbals should receive experience as if they had landed and then were recovered from Kerbin.

I just uploaded 1.5.3 which includes a fix for Kerbals losing experience when recovered by StageRecovery. Thank you lIAceI for discovering the temporary fix, which helped me figure out what was causing the issue so I could repair it on my end.

For those of you who are curious, I basically did the same thing as the fix lIAceI used, but in code. First I removed the "Die" flight event, then created two new ones: "Land, Kerbin" and "Recover", which means Kerbals should receive experience as if they had landed and then were recovered from Kerbin.

Awesome! Great work!

As far as the weird distances reported by SR when orbital debris re-enters, I've had problems with debris reporting as if it was 700+km away on two occasions, both from the same type of vessel but with two different projected landing zones. I use the Trajectories mod to calculate true landing areas so I can get the most from recovery. So the two instances:

First landing was projected to impact right on top of KSC by Trajectories, which means the orbital line passed overhead and entered Kerbin about 2/3 of the way to the next continent to the east. What I didn't consider when creating this deorbit path for the debris is that if left on rails to deorbit then atmospheric calculations are not done the same way and the object was 'deleted' somewhere east of KSC, probably 1/4 of the way to that next continent. Distance was reported by SR as ~870 km.

Second landing was after a reversion to assembly to modify the upper stage of the rocket, deorbit stage was the same as before. This time I put the orbital path to enter Kerbin about 50km east of KSC and Trajectories projected impact on the western side of the mountains short of KSC. Left on rails, the debris was deleted somewhere over the mountain range or just east of them. Distance was reported as over 600 km from KSC.

I'll be dropping more debris from LKO and trying to hit KSC with it as I play, so I'll try to remember to grab some screenshots and more accurate numbers. I want to see if I can get a ~90% recovery on rails that isn't dropped from directly above.

Edit: Here's a test I just did.

4wirTCw.png

The white and red lines are Trajectories predicted travel path dues to air resistance and planet rotation. The red X is the projected impact point. Red dot at KSC is from RT2. Theres also a flag at KSC so I could target it with Trajectories at night (before RT2 was updated and gave me back the red dot).

Left on rails, the debris was deleted just west of KSC between it and the mountains. SR reported it as recovered 370 km away. Without rails the debris landed 3km from the flag.

These tests were all done with SR 1.5.2. I have blizzy's toolbar and SCANSat if those cause the issue.

Edited by Baythan

Your issue would make sense Baythan since anything on rails is deleted as soon as it hits atmo if it isn't in physics range.

As a test i removed Scansat and flew straight up decoupling 2 parachutes every 1k. anything dropped under 20k "landed" at 781.52km. Everything over 25k "landed" within half a kilometer of the ksc.

Readded Scansat and removed Blizzy's toolbar. Everything under 15k "landed" at 781.52 also. time for work.

Edited by Rasip

Not sure if this is asked before but: does this mod also works with parachutes provided by other mods? Like Novapunch?

EDIT: doesn't seem to be. Because the mod said the stage was destroyed though i managed too have it survive the landing intact when switching to it.

Edited by Enterprise0709
tested it myself

Your issue would make sense Baythan since anything on rails is deleted as soon as it hits atmo if it isn't in physics range.

As a test i removed Scansat and flew straight up decoupling 2 parachutes every 1k. anything dropped under 20k "landed" at 781.52km. Everything over 25k "landed" within half a kilometer of the ksc.

Readded Scansat and removed Blizzy's toolbar. Everything under 15k "landed" at 781.52 also. time for work.

I know that things on rails get deleted in atmosphere, around 30-40 km up, but the location of that last debris when it got recovered was MUCH closer than 300km, probably only about 150km(max)(using KER I discovered it was more like 60km).

It seems like the distance calculations for objects moving really fast across the surface is messed up. I have no idea if its a KSP issue or a SR issue because I have no idea how either one decided where something is when it gets deleted.

Edited by Baythan

I know that things on rails get deleted in atmosphere, around 30-40 km up, but the location of that last debris when it got recovered was MUCH closer than 300km, probably only about 150km(max)(using KER I discovered it was more like 60km).

It seems like the distance calculations for objects moving really fast across the surface is messed up. I have no idea if its a KSP issue or a SR issue because I have no idea how either one decided where something is when it gets deleted.

The condition for deletion is atmospheric pressure above 0.01 atm, which is about 22km altitude. Since unloaded objects don't get physics applied, no atmospheric effects are applied, so the path you see in map view is the path it takes. When the object gets deleted, then SR looks at the latitude and longitude of it as reported by KSP. For whatever reason, KSP often doesn't report these coordinates correctly.

I'd like to manually determine where the path intersects with ground level (still doesn't account for atmospheric effects though), which should hopefully help prevent that issue. I'd also like to integrate with Trajectories to use that for determining landing location after atmospheric effects. Eventually I'd like to provide the option of keeping physics loaded on the ships until they actually land.

Well apparently Tiberion did indeed invented a new parachute module for novapunch. Because StageRecovery does his job just fine using stock radial parachutes. and the NP shutes still don't work.

It looks like NP uses the normal parachute module, so I'm not 100% sure what the problem is. You can try the version I'm about to link, which might work instead. http://magico13.net:8080/job/StageRecovery%20Development/4/artifact/StageRecovery/obj/Debug/StageRecovery.dll

The condition for deletion is atmospheric pressure above 0.01 atm, which is about 22km altitude. Since unloaded objects don't get physics applied, no atmospheric effects are applied, so the path you see in map view is the path it takes. When the object gets deleted, then SR looks at the latitude and longitude of it as reported by KSP. For whatever reason, KSP often doesn't report these coordinates correctly.

I'd like to manually determine where the path intersects with ground level (still doesn't account for atmospheric effects though), which should hopefully help prevent that issue. I'd also like to integrate with Trajectories to use that for determining landing location after atmospheric effects. Eventually I'd like to provide the option of keeping physics loaded on the ships until they actually land.

Okay, so its most likely a KSP issue causing things to get recovered in weird locations.

Trajectories has an API for integration with other mods, but as I'm not a modder/coder I don't know if it will help you much.

Okay, so its most likely a KSP issue causing things to get recovered in weird locations.

Trajectories has an API for integration with other mods, but as I'm not a modder/coder I don't know if it will help you much.

I'm partially responsible for the Trajectories API being a thing in the first place, so I intend on using it in the future. I was contacted earlier by an author of another recovery mod about increasing compatibility, which may have some fun implications in the future and might help solve some problems with SR's recovery methods.