[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

Alright, let me know how it goes. Tested working with Stock and RealChutes on my system. The calculated values for terminal velocity and the actual values are a bit off. For RealChutes SR predicts, in my limited testing, about 0.3 m/s lower than RealChutes does. For Stock parachutes I've seen errors up to 1 m/s above OR below actual physical values. I'll try to improve those figures in the future, but they're close enough that it should be reasonable.

If you encounter issues, please let me know (preferably by including the output_log.txt file). If you notice some designs that have predicted values WAY off from actual ones, let me know and include pictures of the craft, along with what SR predicts and what you actually see for the final velocity at sea level. Remember that the editor predictions use THE WHOLE CRAFT, not any particular stage. I have no idea if mod parachutes will work correctly outside of RealChutes.

Thanks everyone for your patience!

Alright, let me know how it goes. Tested working with Stock and RealChutes on my system. The calculated values for terminal velocity and the actual values are a bit off. For RealChutes SR predicts, in my limited testing, about 0.3 m/s lower than RealChutes does. For Stock parachutes I've seen errors up to 1 m/s above OR below actual physical values. I'll try to improve those figures in the future, but they're close enough that it should be reasonable.

If you encounter issues, please let me know (preferably by including the output_log.txt file). If you notice some designs that have predicted values WAY off from actual ones, let me know and include pictures of the craft, along with what SR predicts and what you actually see for the final velocity at sea level. Remember that the editor predictions use THE WHOLE CRAFT, not any particular stage. I have no idea if mod parachutes will work correctly outside of RealChutes.

You are *my hero*!!

Awesome, looking forward to trying it out magico13: Do you know how long it takes for your updates to appear on CKAN?

I think the NetKAN scanner checks every hour for updates, but I don't know if that changed at all. So it could be up to an hour, but possibly more.

(2xFL-T800 Fuel Tank with LV-T30 Engine)x4 (aspargus) + 2xFL-T800 Fuel Tank with LV-T30 Engine + 1xFL-T800 Fuel Tank with LV-T45 Engine +1xFL-T400 Fuel Tank with LV-909 Engine.

All stages with Maximum 4 stock MK2 Radial Parachutes.

Flying by the Mun atm.

All stages recovered successfully.

You are the best! :D

Edited by Al Mustafa, The Beloved

And back to Space I Go ! =P

I know that for a lot of perfectionists + or - 1m/s might be an issue, but to me, that's just adding another parachute on the craft... As such, not an issue at all. Great Update! And now i have RealChutes too!

Does recovering spaceplanes work? I.e: I want launch a plane within a plane, so I launch this mini-plane from the large one and the large one goes out of physics range, will it be recovered? (that was an incredibly long-winded way of putting it I know :P)

Edited by Boamere

Does recovering spaceplanes work? I.e: I want launch a plane within a plane, so I launch this mini-plane from the large one and the large one goes out of physics range, will it be recovered?

It should, but only if the TWR is greater than 1 (which can be changed in the settings), which isn't exactly realistic for a plane. I haven't done much testing of the powered recovery code in 1.0, and I need to make a few tweaks to it because of the changes in how thrust works, so it's possible that it's a bit bugged. If you'd rather land the larger plane manually, I'd recommend FMRS, which StageRecovery should be compatible with. With both installed, if FMRS is active then StageRecovery won't recover most things. If you turn FMRS off, then StageRecovery will work normally. The weird case is when you have FMRS on and are using stock parachutes on a stage with no probe or command pod, since FMRS won't track those then StageRecovery will still recover them.

It should, but only if the TWR is greater than 1 (which can be changed in the settings), which isn't exactly realistic for a plane. I haven't done much testing of the powered recovery code in 1.0, and I need to make a few tweaks to it because of the changes in how thrust works, so it's possible that it's a bit bugged. If you'd rather land the larger plane manually, I'd recommend FMRS, which StageRecovery should be compatible with. With both installed, if FMRS is active then StageRecovery won't recover most things. If you turn FMRS off, then StageRecovery will work normally. The weird case is when you have FMRS on and are using stock parachutes on a stage with no probe or command pod, since FMRS won't track those then StageRecovery will still recover them.

Thanks for reminding me about FMRS! I forgot that mod existed, I haven't played Ksp in so long!

I shall test and see if this mod works with planes right now and then test FMRS (This mod is great, Thanks :D)

Actually some proper data:

Aspargus stages x2

1x TT-70 Radial Decoupler

2x FL-T800 Fuel Tank

4x Mk2-R Radial Parachute

1x Aerodynamic Nose Cone

1x EAS-4 Strut Connector

1x LV-T30 "Reliant" Liquid Fuel Engine

1x FTX-2 External Fuel Duct

Recovery Percentage: 97.9%

97.9% distance

100% speed

Terminal Velocity: 3.93 (less than 12)

-------------------------------------------

Main "Column" Bottom Stage

1x TR-18A Stack Decoupler

2x FL-T800 Fuel Tank

4x Mk2-R Radial Parachute

1x LV-T30 "Reliant" Liquid Fuel Engine

4x Delta-Deluxe Winglet

Recovery Percentage: 89.9%

89.9% distance

100% speed

Terminal Velocity: 4.03 (less than 12)

--------------------

Upper Stage

1x LV-T45 "Swivel" Liquid Fuel Engine

1x FL-T800 Fuel Tank

1x FL-T400 Fuel Tank

1x TR-18A Stack Decoupler

2x Mk2-R Radial Parachute

Terminal Velocity: 238.1

Stage Destroyed over Water... basically because one of the Kerbal rocket scientists forgot to set the parachutes to open after reentry, so they burned out at ~2.3km/s @ 25km altitude.

I'm not a real rocket scientist so I can't really say if these are values predicted by the parts used in every stage. Buuut... the results seem quite good.

Again, thanks for the quick fix.

Question: Whenever I recover something, I only recover 10% due to distance. Even my solid rocket boosters that I dropped fairly low and directly above KSC.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

The recovery message says the parts were recovered about 950 KM away from KSC.

I do not think this has anything to do with the new patches.

Edited by Ryve

Yay! :)

I think the NetKAN scanner checks every hour for updates, but I don't know if that changed at all. So it could be up to an hour, but possibly more.

Like i said, thank you dude this rocks.

I played without SR. Dear lord, my funding was falling apart since 2.5m part is expensive and i can't recover that. I hope Squad think about this.

In my opinion this sort of mod should be stock, i mean NASA had a way to recover a lot of its stages, its sad that this was such a huge miss in the actual release.

Thank you! Really appreciate the amazing and quick work you did!

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have a stage with 3 FL-T400 und 1 LV-T30 and two mk2-r radial shutes and the get lost with 100 terminal velocity. Before 1.0 this was not a problem at all. :(

Question: Whenever I recover something, I only recover 10% due to distance. Even my solid rocket boosters that I dropped fairly low and directly above KSC.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

The recovery message says the parts were recovered about 950 KM away from KSC.

I do not think this has anything to do with the new patches.

Sometimes the distance calculation bugs out when KSP reports an incorrect latitude and longitude for the vessel. Unfortunately there's not much I can do about that. And it's totally random when it happens.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have a stage with 3 FL-T400 und 1 LV-T30 and two mk2-r radial shutes and the get lost with 100 terminal velocity. Before 1.0 this was not a problem at all. :(

Have you updated to 1.5.5? That sounds like the issue I fixed in 1.5.5 when KSP 1.0.1/1.0.2 totally broke this. I released 1.5.5 a few hours ago.

This mod is awesome. Just a quick question. If I modify physics.cfg to 1.0 release values will it affect anything related to the mod or will it keep working?

This mod is awesome. Just a quick question. If I modify physics.cfg to 1.0 release values will it affect anything related to the mod or will it keep working?

The predicted/calculated terminal velocities will probably be further from what you actually see, but otherwise it should work without issue :)