[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

13 hours ago, Jack Conor said:

Alright the whiteout icon is due to me iinstalling it into the squad folder. Now the icon it normal, but there doesnt seem to be any notification for recovered/destroyed stage even though I had it enabled. And I cant access the stagerecovery tab in the VAB.

I just tested it again to be sure and in a mostly stock environment the editor tool was working fine. Can you zip up the entire log and upload it somewhere, then send me the link? Definitely don't just post the whole thing here. It might be some sort of mod conflict.

On 3/16/2018 at 9:56 AM, Jack Conor said:

You're running the 1.4 version of StageRecovery on KSP version 1.3.1. Either update KSP to 1.4.1 or go back to StageRecovery 1.7.2. That answers my question of whether it's backwards compatible, it seems it isn't. Code-wise nothing changed that wouldn't work before, but I'd have to recompile it against the older KSP version.

23 hours ago, EstebanLB said:

Has this been tested for 1.4.1?

I haven't tested everything but I don't know of anything that changed between 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 that would affect this and it all seemed to be working correctly in 1.4.0.

Edited by magico13

• 2 weeks later...

Magico13, I'm having a weird issue.  StageRecovery is only attempting a powered recovery on my liquid powered boosters, even though I have a parachute on it and it is out of fuel.

I set the min pressure to 0.2 so the main rocket doesn't fry the chute, and it to open at 5k.   I've never had an issue until I upgraded from 1.3.1 to 1.4.2 (fresh install).

At first I thought it was because on the new KSP install I tried FMRS (with Recovery Controler) and Stage Recovery at the same time, but I uninstalled FMRS+RC, and am still having the issue.

When I switch to the booster, I can clearly see that the parachute was activated in staging at separation (if that matters).  I even tried a core on the boosters.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for the great mod!

Log is here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zjHoDZ_2pkUXrNFsOqAokG-zKQdzJic5

Image of stage destroyed report

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mIG7NIvn_bTgZugJGjUMGvLGunFtrEtX

1 hour ago, Critter79606 said:

Magico13, I'm having a weird issue.  StageRecovery is only attempting a powered recovery on my liquid powered boosters, even though I have a parachute on it and it is out of fuel.

It doesn't seem to be recognizing the parachute. Do you have a mod installed that replaces the stock parachute module? Can you send me the craft file or the save file with this vessel in it? I don't necessarily need to load it, I just need to see what modules are on the parachute part.

17 minutes ago, magico13 said:

It doesn't seem to be recognizing the parachute. Do you have a mod installed that replaces the stock parachute module? Can you send me the craft file or the save file with this vessel in it? I don't necessarily need to load it, I just need to see what modules are on the parachute part.

I have Ferram Aerospace Research, but I disabled RealChuteLite.cfg (renamed it), as it did break the parachutes.  I also have USI.  I saw in a thread it may modify something with parachutes, but not sure.

Here is the craft file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16Er35yN3pBlbNf87w0B9m29PjDKpc3fC

Thanks for the quick response. 

24 minutes ago, Critter79606 said:

I have Ferram Aerospace Research, but I disabled RealChuteLite.cfg (renamed it), as it did break the parachutes.  I also have USI.  I saw in a thread it may modify something with parachutes, but not sure.

Modules look the same, but I wonder if it's FAR overriding the drag cubes. What was the issue you were seeing with RealChuteLite? If that was active StageRecovery should have calculated the parachute effects pretty much exact. 

12 hours ago, magico13 said:

Modules look the same, but I wonder if it's FAR overriding the drag cubes. What was the issue you were seeing with RealChuteLite? If that was active StageRecovery should have calculated the parachute effects pretty much exact. 

It was adding values even if realchute was not installed, and all of the values were 0, which caused the chutes to rip off as soon as they were opened, so I renamed the extension of the .cfg to disable it and get the chutes to work again.

I uninstalled FAR and StageRecovery is working correctly again.

Thanks for the help running this down.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome mod. I came across this looking for a mod that resembled SpaceX auto landings but the option to recovery science from decoupled stages is sure more useful.

Does any mod let you auto land stages on specific places like a barge in the ocean yet?

3 minutes ago, 1990eam said:

Awesome mod. I came across this looking for a mod that resembled SpaceX auto landings but the option to recovery science from decoupled stages is sure more useful.

Does any mod let you auto land stages on specific places like a barge in the ocean yet?

FMRS does that

Hi magico13, I got some issues here with stage recovery, could you have a look?
I tried powered recovery with this vessel:
https://imgur.com/746PeFJ
https://imgur.com/SvHjyyw

I tried to recovery first stage, in order to get stage recovery involve I add a booster on top so my focus view can fly far away and let stage recovery kick in. I left 1500m/s dv in first stage.

Well originally stage recovery says no...it doesn't think it can be recovered, with a short of 200m/s dv. I have control installed, omi antenna, battery, SAS, just don't know why it doesn't calculate for powered recovery.

During actual fly (Krash test simulation mod), it just says so:

https://imgur.com/i4Fc8ag

"Stock module used"

Not sure what it means. For those previous uncontrolled decoupled stages, stage recovery at least gave some hint about what caused the stage destroyed.

Wondering what is wrong here, can anyone give me some hint?

Here is the ksp log file. I got a lot of mods installed but I don't think there is any mod interfering the stage recovery. (Krash mod might, but I don't know)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/feh53k5xxfu3v3m/KSP.log?dl=0

Edited by BUGescape

2 minutes ago, BUGescape said:
Hi magico13, I got some issues here with stage recovery, could you have a look?
I tried powered recovery with this vessel:
Album https://imgur.com/UdRMY4J will appear when post is submitted

I tried to recovery first stage, in order to get stage recovery involve I add a booster on top so my focus view can fly far away and let stage recovery kick in. I left 1500m/s dv in first stage.

Well originally stage recovery says no...it doesn't think it can be recovered, with a short of 200m/s dv. I have control installed, omi antenna, battery, SAS, just don't know why it doesn't calculate for powered recovery.

During actual fly (Krash test simulation mod), it just says so:

Album https://imgur.com/i4Fc8ag will appear when post is submitted

"Stock module used"

Not sure what it means. For those previous uncontrolled decoupled stages, stage recovery at least gave some hint about what caused the stage destroyed.

Wondering what is wrong here, can anyone give me some hint?

Here is the ksp log file. I got a lot of mods installed but I don't think there is any mod interfering the stage recovery. (Krash mod might, but I don't know)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/feh53k5xxfu3v3m/KSP.log?dl=0

You can do unpowererd recovery even if you don't get far enough away.  I've dropped asparagus stages less than 1000m up, it works (and gets a very nice recovery percentage.)  Note, however, that while Stage Recovery only requires the presence of sufficient chutes you have to be more careful with such low-dropped stages--the chutes must be correctly set up or the stage will execute a lithobraking maneuver before it goes outside physics range.

Powered recovery is another matter, a dropped stage can't light it's engine while you're controlling the main rocket.  Thus you have to use FMRS.  I've never played with this, I've never built something that was big enough to want powered recovery but dropped low enough that Stage Recovery couldn't handle it.

3 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

You can do unpowererd recovery even if you don't get far enough away.  I've dropped asparagus stages less than 1000m up, it works (and gets a very nice recovery percentage.)  Note, however, that while Stage Recovery only requires the presence of sufficient chutes you have to be more careful with such low-dropped stages--the chutes must be correctly set up or the stage will execute a lithobraking maneuver before it goes outside physics range.

Powered recovery is another matter, a dropped stage can't light it's engine while you're controlling the main rocket.  Thus you have to use FMRS.  I've never played with this, I've never built something that was big enough to want powered recovery but dropped low enough that Stage Recovery couldn't handle it.

Sorry for the album thing...

So you mean powered recovery is currently unsupported? I run ksp 1.3.1 and stage recovery v1.7.2

BTW just want an automatically powered recovery experience, but FMRS required manual handling isn't it?

20 minutes ago, BUGescape said:

<snip?

BTW just want an automatically powered recovery experience, but FMRS required manual handling isn't it?

For that you'll need KoS as well as FMRS with a script that you can run (requires trial and error) to automatically go through the process. Sadly beyond that, I don't think you can do low level (as in in physics range) automated powered recovery.

2 minutes ago, RobertJPowell said:

For that you'll need KoS as well as FMRS with a script that you can run (requires trial and error) to automatically go through the process. Sadly beyond that, I don't think you can do low level (as in in physics range) automated powered recovery.

Yes, but I mean I want to have out-of-physic range stage powered recovery (just a pop-up message says recovery successful, given that your dropped stage have enough dv, control etc). It says in the StageRecovery features to support powered recovery but it doesn't work for me, like what happened in the above pictures.

10 hours ago, BUGescape said:

Sorry for the album thing...

So you mean powered recovery is currently unsupported? I run ksp 1.3.1 and stage recovery v1.7.2

I can't address currently--I've been waiting on some mods and haven't updated.

However, I have successfully done powered recovery.  I added a probe core and a small fuel tank that I locked that had enough fuel for about 300m/s.  Booster recovered successfully.  You need a pretty big booster before powered recovery is a better deal than chutes.

As for your photos:

After fixing the URLs (you have the first part duplicated) I see a rocket that in the VAB shows as it's going to lithobrake and in flight I see a rocket that did lithobrake.  The list of components isn't quite complete but I see no fuel--and without fuel there can be no powered recovery.

The safe way to do powered recovery is a locked fuel tank with enough fuel for the landing, but I see nothing in your rocket that looks like this.  The only other way to do it is to jettison it manually at the requisite fuel level (and note that getting this right is hard as it's such a small amount compared to the total it was carrying!)  Note that jettisoning a stage does not shut down it's engines, you must do so manually.  (I've had a MechJeb screwup result in a staged but still burning engine pushing me into space!  Flies fine until you attempt to turn and since it's staged you can't shut it down.)

I also note the presence of grid fins and landing legs.  You might be including these for thematic reasons but they are not needed for Stage Recovery.

Edited by Loren Pechtel

I can't look at the log until I get home, but the requirements for powered recovery are an activated engine (throttled down though), a probe core with SAS capability or a pilot kerbal, and enough fuel for the landing (about 300m/s at surface level Isp). The more detailed StageRecovery UI should contain some extra info about powered recovery, stating that it was attempted and either no suitable probe core was found or it ran out of fuel. The log will also show more info when I get a chance to look at it later.

2 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I can't address currently--I've been waiting on some mods and haven't updated.

However, I have successfully done powered recovery.  I added a probe core and a small fuel tank that I locked that had enough fuel for about 300m/s.  Booster recovered successfully.  You need a pretty big booster before powered recovery is a better deal than chutes.

As for your photos:

After fixing the URLs (you have the first part duplicated) I see a rocket that in the VAB shows as it's going to lithobrake and in flight I see a rocket that did lithobrake.  The list of components isn't quite complete but I see no fuel--and without fuel there can be no powered recovery.

The safe way to do powered recovery is a locked fuel tank with enough fuel for the landing, but I see nothing in your rocket that looks like this.  The only other way to do it is to jettison it manually at the requisite fuel level (and note that getting this right is hard as it's such a small amount compared to the total it was carrying!)  Note that jettisoning a stage does not shut down it's engines, you must do so manually.  (I've had a MechJeb screwup result in a staged but still burning engine pushing me into space!  Flies fine until you attempt to turn and since it's staged you can't shut it down.)

I also note the presence of grid fins and landing legs.  You might be including these for thematic reasons but they are not needed for Stage Recovery.

Thank you. I did leave 1500m/s dv of fuel and stage them manually: I throttle the engine to 0 and stage, and move my focus to upper stage.

With this, it should at least have some hint in the stock message, but no, it just says: 'stock module used' :(

25 minutes ago, magico13 said:

I can't look at the log until I get home, but the requirements for powered recovery are an activated engine (throttled down though), a probe core with SAS capability or a pilot kerbal, and enough fuel for the landing (about 300m/s at surface level Isp). The more detailed StageRecovery UI should contain some extra info about powered recovery, stating that it was attempted and either no suitable probe core was found or it ran out of fuel. The log will also show more info when I get a chance to look at it later.

Thank you.

It works like that before, when I did not implement any sort of recovery tech, some message with pop up like 'stage burn up, did not find a point of control, try to add a probe on it'....

But this time it just says 'stock module used', 'destroyed xxx km from ksc'...

31 minutes ago, BUGescape said:

Thank you. I did leave 1500m/s dv of fuel and stage them manually: I throttle the engine to 0 and stage, and move my focus to upper stage.

With this, it should at least have some hint in the stock message, but no, it just says: 'stock module used' :(

Thank you.

It works like that before, when I did not implement any sort of recovery tech, some message with pop up like 'stage burn up, did not find a point of control, try to add a probe on it'....

But this time it just says 'stock module used', 'destroyed xxx km from ksc'...

SR has long been weak in telling you why it went wrong.  However, from your pics I'm pretty sure it failed to find either parachutes or active engines.  Since I saw no fuel going splat I suspect that's the problem.

Putting the landing fuel in a separate tank and locking it so it won't be burnt on the way up makes life much simpler.  Simply stage your rocket normally when it runs dry, nothing fancy needed.  (It even works with MechJeb and hands off the keyboard.)

3 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

SR has long been weak in telling you why it went wrong.  However, from your pics I'm pretty sure it failed to find either parachutes or active engines.  Since I saw no fuel going splat I suspect that's the problem.

Putting the landing fuel in a separate tank and locking it so it won't be burnt on the way up makes life much simpler.  Simply stage your rocket normally when it runs dry, nothing fancy needed.  (It even works with MechJeb and hands off the keyboard.)

That's the method I use though it's probably worth mentioning that if you use SSTU then you might need to enable crossfeed on the reserve tank depending on where you put it. (for instance if you put it near the engine to keep CoM low for those situations where you might want to try a manual landing)