[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

@Bluebottle

SR for some reason decided that the vessel was likely to be destroyed and pre-recovered the kerbals. That shouldn't happen until the altitude drops below the cutoff (27200 meters, determined from the atmospheric density but for some reason higher than the actual altitude where KSP destroys things). Maybe KSP fed SR the wrong altitude for that vessel? Can you upload the full log file, just so I can scour it for any other information that might be pertinent but might not appear related.

I think I'm going to need to add a bit more error checking into that code and have it reassign crew if the vessel isn't destroyed within a few seconds. My dev time is pretty minimal for the next two months though, so ETA on that.

14 hours ago, magico13 said:

@Bluebottle

SR for some reason decided that the vessel was likely to be destroyed and pre-recovered the kerbals. That shouldn't happen until the altitude drops below the cutoff (27200 meters, determined from the atmospheric density but for some reason higher than the actual altitude where KSP destroys things). Maybe KSP fed SR the wrong altitude for that vessel? Can you upload the full log file, just so I can scour it for any other information that might be pertinent but might not appear related.

I think I'm going to need to add a bit more error checking into that code and have it reassign crew if the vessel isn't destroyed within a few seconds. My dev time is pretty minimal for the next two months though, so ETA on that.

Ahh, sorry. I forgot to copy the log when I restarted KSP to recover the kerbals :blush:. Since I run a continuous "tail -f" on the log file in a terminal, I can only provide you with everything after 01:56:09 (the 100,000-line limit in my terminal means everything was truncated before that time) but that's five mins after they were killed off. Would that still be useful? Probably not. :(

The vessel was 6 days and 2 hours out from Kerbin when I noticed the problem, so it's altitude would have been 30-40 million metres, and I guess KSP could have given it the wrong altitude. The camera kept flipping around between the orbital and suborbital perspectives despite a periapsis of ~24,600.

Thanks for the quick reply! No pressure whatsoever for a fix. I'm sure everyone would prefer that you kept your power dry for the apocalypse that will be 1.1. :)

edit: I've got a dated-saves mod installed too, so I'll try to go back and reproduce it from the last save before the problem. Maybe it'll work.

edit 2: Having gone back to that old save and time-accelerated past when I had the problem, I'm unable to reproduce it. :( Who knows, it could have been a section of code that isn't thread-safe or the like.

Edited by Bluebottle

Are there any monster chutes to use with this?  My asparagus (the biggest tanks from fuel tanks plus) needed 12 chutes to get the recover percentage over 99%.  Or should I be adding a probe core and a fuel tank that doesn't feed the engine?  (And will Mechjeb stage properly if I do that?)

Also, any good solutions for asparagus that falls off very quickly?

5 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Are there any monster chutes to use with this?  My asparagus (the biggest tanks from fuel tanks plus) needed 12 chutes to get the recover percentage over 99%.  Or should I be adding a probe core and a fuel tank that doesn't feed the engine?  (And will Mechjeb stage properly if I do that?)

Also, any good solutions for asparagus that falls off very quickly?

I've used tweaksale to change the size of the chutes with success. Lithobrake Exploration Technologies (link below) has some big chutes which also work well.

Edited by smjjames

4 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Yeah, I just downloaded RealChutes.

MechJeb doesn't know how to handle the chutes in RealChutes, but that shouldn't stop you I guess.

Maybe I could look at RealChutes actually.

Just now, smjjames said:

MechJeb doesn't know how to handle the chutes in RealChutes, but that shouldn't stop you I guess.

Maybe I could look at RealChutes actually.

I don't let Mechjeb handle chutes anyway.  Maybe it can land a spaceplace (I have yet to build one) but it sure doesn't understand overheating returning rockets.  If I blow off the booster there's not really much for Mechjeb to decide and if I leave it on it doesn't understand when it needs to be separated.  If I'm returning from orbit I start it landing but I take over as soon as I'm in the fire--blow the booster and SAS retrograde.  This will always drop me in short but quite close to KSC--better recovery percentage.

Recently I've had other guidance problems with Mechjeb, also--dropping the rocket onto the ground in warp when it should be doing it's final descent.  (I've also had trouble with the target vector jumping away as soon as the rocket points at it when it's trying to do a small burn.  It started out only when I was at sphincter-tightening altitudes but I just saw it on a rendezvous about 250km over Minmus.)

5 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I don't let Mechjeb handle chutes anyway.  Maybe it can land a spaceplace (I have yet to build one) but it sure doesn't understand overheating returning rockets.  If I blow off the booster there's not really much for Mechjeb to decide and if I leave it on it doesn't understand when it needs to be separated.  If I'm returning from orbit I start it landing but I take over as soon as I'm in the fire--blow the booster and SAS retrograde.  This will always drop me in short but quite close to KSC--better recovery percentage.

Recently I've had other guidance problems with Mechjeb, also--dropping the rocket onto the ground in warp when it should be doing it's final descent.  (I've also had trouble with the target vector jumping away as soon as the rocket points at it when it's trying to do a small burn.  It started out only when I was at sphincter-tightening altitudes but I just saw it on a rendezvous about 250km over Minmus.)

You mean the 'land somewhere' guidance? That kind of problem with warping into the ground or past the suicide burn point has been around for a long time. I just don't let MJ warp itself.

2 minutes ago, smjjames said:

You mean the 'land somewhere' guidance? That kind of problem with warping into the ground or past the suicide burn point has been around for a long time. I just don't let MJ warp itself.

It doesn't matter if it's land somewhere or land at a target.  It's dropped rockets either way.  So far it hasn't dropped a rocket when I turn off auto-warp as it's getting reasonably close.

1 minute ago, Loren Pechtel said:

It doesn't matter if it's land somewhere or land at a target.  It's dropped rockets either way.  So far it hasn't dropped a rocket when I turn off auto-warp as it's getting reasonably close.

I've only had issues with 'land somewhere' with autowarp. You could probably let Sarbian know, but don't expect anything until after 1.1 is released, or at least the 1.1 open experimentials.

2 hours ago, magico13 said:

Alternatively you can use RealChute. That's what I tend to use. A big nosecone parachute might be all you need.

Observation:  I added RealChutes & the Lithobraking one--now I have a chute big enough to land a 2.5m stage by itself but the big ones would still land pretty hard.  It occurs to me that an itty-bitty solid booster that won't light from staging would be the ideal approach here.  (Think of how a Soyuz capsule lands.)

Edited by Loren Pechtel

12 hours ago, smjjames said:

I've only had issues with 'land somewhere' with autowarp. You could probably let Sarbian know, but don't expect anything until after 1.1 is released, or at least the 1.1 open experimentials.

I was just coming down on Minmus on a land-at-target.  The suicide timer was at 26 seconds and it tried to warp and maybe 10 seconds later it lit the engines.  That almost certainly would have crashed had it been able to warp.

11 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Observation:  I added RealChutes & the Lithobraking one--now I have a chute big enough to land a 2.5m stage by itself but the big ones would still land pretty hard.  It occurs to me that an itty-bitty solid booster that won't light from staging would be the ideal approach here.  (Think of how a Soyuz capsule lands.)

It really just has to be slower than the the impact rating of your most fragile part, or at least the part that you expect to take the brunt of the impact.

If stagerecovery is going to catch it before it lands, as you might expect from a spent stage, it just has to be slow enough to have 100% recovery as far as speed goes.

1 minute ago, smjjames said:

It really just has to be slower than the the impact rating of your most fragile part, or at least the part that you expect to take the brunt of the impact.

If stagerecovery is going to catch it before it lands, as you might expect from a spent stage, it just has to be slow enough to have 100% recovery as far as speed goes.

The pint is it takes a crazy number of chutes to land a 3.75m booster safely.

Just now, Loren Pechtel said:

The pint is it takes a crazy number of chutes to land a 3.75m booster safely.

True...

Have you tried tweakscale? Really helps with that situation by reducing partcount.

13 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Yeah, I just downloaded RealChutes.

Argh!!!  Realchutes nerfs the stock parachutes!  I had a mission in flight, plenty of chutes for a soft landing.  Now it lands at 8.6 m/s.  Fortunately it had enough fuel on board to get into a reasonable orbit about Kerbin, I'm going to have to send up a rescue mission.

Also, Stage Recovery doesn't understand the chute from the Lithobraking pack--the chute works but it's *predicted* to crater instead.

2 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Argh!!!  Realchutes nerfs the stock parachutes!  I had a mission in flight, plenty of chutes for a soft landing.  Now it lands at 8.6 m/s.  Fortunately it had enough fuel on board to get into a reasonable orbit about Kerbin, I'm going to have to send up a rescue mission.

Also, Stage Recovery doesn't understand the chute from the Lithobraking pack--the chute works but it's *predicted* to crater instead.

Then configure the chute (in the VAB / SPH editor action group editor) to land at a lower speed. You can totally edit RC chutes to your specific custom needs. Not that hard to do either.

I can't recovery a stage..

I tried to build a testcraft with 2 stages, installed on them realchute radial chute paras, even set them on 0.5 min pressure, controlled on the Stagerecovery simulation if the will land safely but it doesn't work.. 

the craft was recovered but the 1st stage still remain unrecovered..

20 minutes ago, fr33soul said:

I can't recovery a stage..

I tried to build a testcraft with 2 stages, installed on them realchute radial chute paras, even set them on 0.5 min pressure, controlled on the Stagerecovery simulation if the will land safely but it doesn't work.. 

the craft was recovered but the 1st stage still remain unrecovered..

When did the first stage come off?  If it comes off real quickly the stage will impact before the engine kills it so stage recovery doesn't grab it.  In theory the chutes can be set to deploy at the right time but when you have a bunch of them that's a big pain.  Since the Realchutes will only deploy when heading down it seems to me that it would be possible to trigger them with the stage.  Since I installed Realchutes I haven't had an occasion to test this, though--everything I've launched has staged plenty high for Stage Recovery to handle it.

Why can't we have a chute that deploys only when safe?!?!

21 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Hey Magico, just had a problem. StageRecovery just spawned around 850 "your stage crashed" messages.

Here's the Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ZYgATQfNhBejAxeGlvdC03cnM/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for that. I've seen a few people post similar things so I have a fix in mind. Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll get to it for a while. I'll try to get it fixed for 1.1 but no promises. In the meantime you can turn off failed recovery messages in the settings if it keeps happening.

Edit: It's an issue with the Kerbal Konstructs integration on Kerbal Konstruct's side. Can you crosspost over there by chance?

6 hours ago, Buster Charlie said:

Any chance of stagerecovery being able to use this mod to count as propulsive landing?

I don't think it would be too hard to add, so I've added a reminder on github. It won't be any time soon though, sorry.

Edited by magico13

2 hours ago, magico13 said:

Thanks for that. I've seen a few people post similar things so I have a fix in mind. Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll get to it for a while. I'll try to get it fixed for 1.1 but no promises. In the meantime you can turn off failed recovery messages in the settings if it keeps happening.

Edit: It's an issue with the Kerbal Konstructs integration on Kerbal Konstruct's side. Can you crosspost over there by chance?

AGH. Something is really bugging with the reply and quoting.

@magico13, I will post my problem in  the KK thread. Thank you for your help.

Edited by theonegalen