[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

28 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

It will attempt to land on rockets (simply simulated, it doesn't actually do a physics simulation) if it's got an engine with a TWR > 1, fuel and a probe core.

If that doesn't work it will try to use chutes.

If neither approach works the stage crashes and you get the attempted propulsive landing message.

thanks for the quick response. turns out the little tank I added for the landing fuel didn't have the fuel drain disabled like I thought it did. Silly me!

I know I have recovered boosters since starting with 1.1.3, but it doesn't seem to be working anymore, no idea what I did.  All I get are failure messages saying no control point to attempt landing, but the part list shows parachutes....

Uk1HINo.jpg

Edited by eberkain

On 7/3/2016 at 8:51 AM, eberkain said:

I know I have recovered boosters since starting with 1.1.3, but it doesn't seem to be working anymore, no idea what I did.  All I get are failure messages saying no control point to attempt landing, but the part list shows parachutes....

OK, I found this in the log which explains what is happening for me.   I'm sure its a mod conflict, just got to figure out with what.  

[F: 326172]: Vessel [KOL-2] Habatit Module Debris was on-rails at 1.0 kPa pressure and was destroyed.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

[PR] Deleting [KOL-2] Habatit Module Debris as reference.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

[SR] Searching in RecoveryQueue (0) for bb18925b-6060-401c-b54f-bd9bba1d5f5c

[SR] Altitude: 24931.2658810171

[SR] Error occured while trying to determine terminal velocity.

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

Parameter name: s
  at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Single.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at StageRecovery.RecoveryItem.DetermineTerminalVelocity () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
StageRecovery.RecoveryItem:DetermineTerminalVelocity()
StageRecovery.RecoveryItem:Process()
StageRecovery.StageRecovery:VesselDestroyEvent(Vessel)
EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
Vessel:Die()
Vessel:FixedUpdate()

(Filename:  Line: -1)

[SR] Vt: 200

[SR] Trying powered recovery

[SR] Stage not controlled. Can't perform powered recovery.

[SR] Distance: 319016.8

[Vessel [KOL-2] Habatit Module Debris]: Vessel was destroyed.

Anyone have any insight?

Well I just took a glance at the current code on Github, and it looks like SR is trying to access a RealChute parameter called 'deployedDiameter' - which on my test vehicle, doesnt seem to exist.

Seems like a compatability issue between the two mods - but this is just after a quick glance at the code, you'll have to wait for a reply from the actual mod creator :wink:

So yeah, I confirmed that SR works with stock chutes.

I had to remove both RealChute AND the RealChuteLite within the FAR directory to get back to stock.

Be warned that I dont know how the game handles orphaned [Module] sections in your persistance.sfs and ship saves, it may be enough just to remove those two mods but I hold no responsibility if you wreck your save =p

Good news is, that I can now gain back some much needed cash in my 20% fund/sci/rep 500% penalty save :wink:

1 hour ago, LuciferNZ said:

So yeah, I confirmed that SR works with stock chutes.

I had to remove both RealChute AND the RealChuteLite within the FAR directory to get back to stock.

Be warned that I dont know how the game handles orphaned [Module] sections in your persistance.sfs and ship saves, it may be enough just to remove those two mods but I hold no responsibility if you wreck your save =p

Good news is, that I can now gain back some much needed cash in my 20% fund/sci/rep 500% penalty save :wink:

That explains it, I flew my first few missions before adding in FAR.  

Hi, sorry for the noobish question, but is there any way to install this mod since the 1.1.3 update? I have CKAN, but it's listed under the incompatible section, and there doesn't seem to be a way to force a slightly outdated mod to install. I have no other mods installed.

2 hours ago, AdmiralWen said:

Hi, sorry for the noobish question, but is there any way to install this mod since the 1.1.3 update? I have CKAN, but it's listed under the incompatible section, and there doesn't seem to be a way to force a slightly outdated mod to install. I have no other mods installed.

This mod is, unfortunately, broken by 1.1.3 - at least for some people. I wouldn't risk it, but if you want you can manually install it - just download it from the OP and merge the "gamedata" folder in the .zip with your KSP "gamedata" folder.

Edited by minepagan
Redundant stuff

19 minutes ago, magico13 said:

RealChute still appears to have the same parameters available, but I'll try to get it sorted out and do some testing of my own tomorrow.

When I looked through the persistance file, I could find no reference to deployedDiameter when Realchute was installed.

Im not familiar with modding for KSP, is the deployedDiameter something thats a runtime module or something?

3 hours ago, LuciferNZ said:

When I looked through the persistance file, I could find no reference to deployedDiameter when Realchute was installed.

Im not familiar with modding for KSP, is the deployedDiameter something thats a runtime module or something?

Correct. It isn't a persistent value, but it is defined in the module and exists on a loaded version of the module.

This should point to the line in the source that defines it: https://github.com/StupidChris/RealChute/blob/master/RealChute/Parachute.cs#L188

Because SR was compiled for an older KSP and those fields are accessed through Reflection, a recompile might be all that's needed. I'll test after work tomorrow

9 hours ago, magico13 said:

Here's a recompile for KSP 1.1.3 that might fix the RealChute issues (untested). RealChute still appears to have the same parameters available, but I'll try to get it sorted out and do some testing of my own tomorrow.

I tested it and I can now recover using RealChutes, thanks so much.   I did not seem to be able to get the VAB UI to do anything though, but I didn't get any exceptions thrown either. 

6 hours ago, magico13 said:

Correct. It isn't a persistent value, but it is defined in the module and exists on a loaded version of the module.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response.

I might look into modding KSP as I have a programming background =)

2 hours ago, LuciferNZ said:

Awesome, thanks for the quick response.

I might look into modding KSP as I have a programming background =)

There is still time to escape....you still have a chance to break free....

3 hours ago, eberkain said:

I tested it and I can now recover using RealChutes, thanks so much.   I did not seem to be able to get the VAB UI to do anything though, but I didn't get any exceptions thrown either. 

I'm still having the same problems as before - VAB UI works fine, everything looks fine...but it always says my stages reach terminal velocity, despite having multiple, armed, parachutes.

2 minutes ago, minepagan said:

I'm still having the same problems as before - VAB UI works fine, everything looks fine...but it always says my stages reach terminal velocity, despite having multiple, armed, parachutes.

Are you using the 'recompiled for 1.1.3' .dll that magico13 just posted?  Its working for me too (with realchutes only, removed FARs RealChute Lite)

1 hour ago, LuciferNZ said:

Are you using the 'recompiled for 1.1.3' .dll that magico13 just posted?  Its working for me too (with realchutes only, removed FARs RealChute Lite)

Yes I am

Problem is, I don't have Realchute, and if I uninstall Realchute Lite in FAR then my parachutes don't work normally. Like, at all.

Edited by minepagan

I'm playing KSP v1.1.3, and I'm using the 1.1.2 version of the mod (i.e. the one on the first page of this topic, and not the pre-released posted to Github). I'm using other mods, but I don't believe I'm using "RealChutes" (but I'll look at that mod after posting this). I'm also not using FAR, either.

Under those circumstances, I'm having no issues with Stage Recovery. Since everyone's talking about bugs and compatibility issues, I wanted to share that I haven't had any.

Edited by Anase Skyrider
I adjusted a couple things about the wording to make my first sentence less ambiguous.

I'm fairly new to KSP, so please pardon my ignorance if any is found...

I installed the newest version of the mod and I can't seem to get it working properly (with or without the .dll fix).

When I load into the game, the icon for SR is just a white box. When I click on it, I still get the window and everything that shows for the UI in the VAB, yet when I go thru my entire flight, I get no results showing for my stages (recovered or destroyed).

I have the mod located in a folder called StageRecovery_1.6.4.3 inside the GameData folder. Is this correct or should I move it?

I also run the game in 64-bit version. Does this matter? Does it work for 64-bit?

I also have stock parachutes only, no real parachutes mod.

I've also noticed that in all the videos I've seen, usually clicking on the icon would bring up a message showing that the mod is active. I don't get anything like that, just the Recovered/Destroyed list.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

On a side note, I've also noticed that a lot of people have their buttons for contracts, resources and the like on the top edge of the screen on the right-hand side, while mine show on the right edge on the right-hand side. Is there a UI mod to change that or is it a setting I'm missing?

1 hour ago, xTheKraZe96x said:

I'm fairly new to KSP, so please pardon my ignorance if any is found...

I installed the newest version of the mod and I can't seem to get it working properly (with or without the .dll fix).

When I load into the game, the icon for SR is just a white box. When I click on it, I still get the window and everything that shows for the UI in the VAB, yet when I go thru my entire flight, I get no results showing for my stages (recovered or destroyed).

I have the mod located in a folder called StageRecovery_1.6.4.3 inside the GameData folder. Is this correct or should I move it?

I also run the game in 64-bit version. Does this matter? Does it work for 64-bit?

I also have stock parachutes only, no real parachutes mod.

I've also noticed that in all the videos I've seen, usually clicking on the icon would bring up a message showing that the mod is active. I don't get anything like that, just the Recovered/Destroyed list.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

On a side note, I've also noticed that a lot of people have their buttons for contracts, resources and the like on the top edge of the screen on the right-hand side, while mine show on the right edge on the right-hand side. Is there a UI mod to change that or is it a setting I'm missing?

I don't know if it's relevant but the normal folder is StageRecovery without the version number.

On 08/07/2016 at 5:20 AM, AdmiralWen said:

I guess your issue is sorted now, but for future reference, you can force CKAN to install a slightly outdated mod - just you have to use the command line to do so.

ckan.exe install ModIdentifier=ModVersionNumber

@magico13  just an idea, but it kind of bugs me that you can put a small heatshield on a big part and have it count to make it that much more recoverable - and similarly, that a big heat shield doesn't make small parts more recoverable.

Would you think it would be a good idea to have an option to make heat shielding have a more complex option - but still of course an approximation?

Something like Recovery Break Chance Reduction = Tuning Constant * (Heat shield_Total_Weight * Heath_Shield_Percentage) / Total_Recoverable Part_Mass

So, for example, if your tuning constant there was 10, then you'd have a 100% break chance recovery if your height shield had full ablator and was 10% of the recovered part mass.   

Edited by Maxsimal