[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

Odd that you fguys are having soo many issues with it...I've been playing with FAr and SR from the beginning on my playthrough of 1.1.3, and have had no issues getting everyhting recovered at all. Never installed anyhting extra beyond the manual download of it from the front page links, and it just..works?

18 hours ago, DracoSilverpath said:

Odd that you fguys are having soo many issues with it...I've been playing with FAr and SR from the beginning on my playthrough of 1.1.3, and have had no issues getting everyhting recovered at all. Never installed anyhting extra beyond the manual download of it from the front page links, and it just..works?

Maybe post a few screen caps of your directory structure for those guys? Enough to show all the files relevant to the two or three mods in question? (FAR, SR, RSS, etc.). if they can see how your stuff is setup, and you confirm it functions without issue, that might be enough to help them to troubleshoot their install.

25 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

Hey, @magico13 , I seem to have forgotten, how do you change the velocity prediction in VAB for another planet? I'm trying to figure out how many parachutes I need for Duna. Could you please remind me?

That's not a StageRecovery feature (as of right now). RealChute has a similar feature for configuring their parachutes, which is acttivated by going into the action groups tab and then clicking on a parachute. I'd like to have estimates for other planets at some point too.

1 minute ago, magico13 said:

That's not a StageRecovery feature (as of right now). RealChute has a similar feature for configuring their parachutes, which is acttivated by going into the action groups tab and then clicking on a parachute. I'd like to have estimates for other planets at some point too.

I see, somehow I thought I used this feature in SR before! Thanks for clarification. Indeed, it would be a great feature.

On 8/26/2016 at 11:22 PM, magico13 said:

FAR definitely wasn't working. It seems they removed saving the diameter in the parachutes, so I had to create a workaround to get it. New pre-release that works with FARhttps://github.com/magico13/StageRecovery/releases

Installed the updated .dll and I'm recovering un-controlled boosters on chutes alone once again. Thanks.

On 8/28/2016 at 5:48 PM, Maxsimal said:

Mine's still working even without this workaround... is it because I'm using realchutes?

That's fairly probable  - I don't use RealChutes, but I do use FAR.

On 6/09/2016 at 2:54 AM, Alexology said:

I have my eyes on this mod but I don't see it on CKAN. Is it working with 1.1.3?

Indeed it does work.

However in Ckan it will show up as being compatible up to version 1.1.2.

So you will need to download it and install it manually.

Ckan will then show it as a autodetect installed version in your Ckan list.

This means if ther is any consecutive update you will have to update it manually. Which kind of defeats the purpose of Ckan.. but at least it is n your list of mods.  Which in my opinion is well worth it.

17 hours ago, Mars Mullo said:

Indeed it does work.

However in Ckan it will show up as being compatible up to version 1.1.2.

So you will need to download it and install it manually.

Ckan will then show it as a autodetect installed version in your Ckan list.

This means if ther is any consecutive update you will have to update it manually. Which kind of defeats the purpose of Ckan.. but at least it is n your list of mods.  Which in my opinion is well worth it.

I got it working thanks! It is marvelous! Really makes so much sense and is a life saver in career mode. Thanks for the work mod maker and thanks for the help mod helpers. You really helped me enjoy the game all the more. 

Is it just me or is the parachute effectiveness a lot more forgiving for stage recovery calculations than actual reentry? Like it's using the old atmospheric model or something? For a time I was using it to also estimate the landing speed of my landers but anything heavier than a Mk1 pod was hitting the ground too fast. Then I realized that Stage Recovery was underestimating the speed under parachutes. Using another calculator such as RCS Build Aid reports the correct speeds, which fixed my lander designs. But Stage Recovery still lets me get away with using a handful of parachutes to successfully recover even huge stage assemblies. Kind of takes the motivation away from trying powered landings.

And before anyone asks, I'm not using FAR or RealChutes or anything of the like.

2 hours ago, Tybot said:

Is it just me or is the parachute effectiveness a lot more forgiving for stage recovery calculations than actual reentry? Like it's using the old atmospheric model or something? For a time I was using it to also estimate the landing speed of my landers but anything heavier than a Mk1 pod was hitting the ground too fast. Then I realized that Stage Recovery was underestimating the speed under parachutes. Using another calculator such as RCS Build Aid reports the correct speeds, which fixed my lander designs. But Stage Recovery still lets me get away with using a handful of parachutes to successfully recover even huge stage assemblies. Kind of takes the motivation away from trying powered landings.

And before anyone asks, I'm not using FAR or RealChutes or anything of the like.

I am using RealChutes, I have noticed the landing speed seems to be somewhat higher than what Stage Recovery anticipates but the difference has been small.  I figured it was SR looking at the dry weight of the craft rather than it's real weight.  Boosters normally land completely dry but spacecraft don't.

1 minute ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I am using RealChutes, I have noticed the landing speed seems to be somewhat higher than what Stage Recovery anticipates but the difference has been small.  I figured it was SR looking at the dry weight of the craft rather than it's real weight.  Boosters normally land completely dry but spacecraft don't.

Not using RC, but I'm talking about landing at ~14-15 m/s when SR anticipates 5 m/s. Pre 1.0 the amount of parachutes I was using in that example probably would be right, but not anymore. Again, not too much of an issue anymore because I can use other calculators to get the accurate descent rate, but it does mean that getting my spent stages to be recoverable is a lot easier than it should be.

2 hours ago, Tybot said:

Not using RC, but I'm talking about landing at ~14-15 m/s when SR anticipates 5 m/s. Pre 1.0 the amount of parachutes I was using in that example probably would be right, but not anymore. Again, not too much of an issue anymore because I can use other calculators to get the accurate descent rate, but it does mean that getting my spent stages to be recoverable is a lot easier than it should be.

I've never seen anything like that level of discrepancy.  More like expected 4 m/s, got 5 m/s.

2 hours ago, Tybot said:

That's because for Stock it's using a very contrived formula based on some experimental tests I ran after 1.0.2. I tried to get it to match based on the drag cubes and couldn't figure it out. If that mod gets it right then I'll take a look at what they use and probably use that instead. RealChute and FAR should be really close since StageRecovery uses the exact formula that they use (FAR actually uses a watered down version of RealChute called RealChuteLite). RealChute's formula is a known drag formula. I can't figure out what stock does with the drag cubes, but I could never get it to fit that formula.

The one issue I am running into is prior to installing realchute the stages would highlite with the various colors to indicate if there was enough chutes to recover. Now I am not seeing that or the panel in the VAB, it still recovers and awards the salvage value but it can still take a few tries just to get the chutes right.  I am stuck using realchute  for something else but would really really like the nice quick visual go-nogo back.

16 hours ago, Wragie said:

The one issue I am running into is prior to installing realchute the stages would highlite with the various colors to indicate if there was enough chutes to recover. Now I am not seeing that or the panel in the VAB, it still recovers and awards the salvage value but it can still take a few tries just to get the chutes right.  I am stuck using realchute  for something else but would really really like the nice quick visual go-nogo back.

You mean when you click the StageRecovery button on the toolbar you aren't seeing the highlighting and estimates? Are you running the latest pre-release, cause that should be working. Also, with realchute you can configure the chutes to land at any speed so it should be pretty easy to make them land (edit a chute by going to the action groups tab, then clicking a chute. I usually enter masses manually based on the dry masses of the attached parts. No guesswork required).

I actually managed to get it to work again by putting it into a floating menu (can't rem name) as it wasn't showing in the standard menu. Once there it allowed me to select it and the normal and very useful landing speed and red/yellow/green tint was working. Worked perfectly first time. Oh how I have missed it LOL.

1.1.3 and almost all the mods ever made ;-]

Got a message bug:

Additional Information:

RealChute Module used.

Terminal velocity of 7.69 (less than 12 needed)

The stage burned up in the atmosphere!  It was

travelling at 2138.07336107201 m/s.

Attempted propulsive landing but could not find a

point of control.  Add a pilot or probe core with SAS

for propulsive landings.

It's griping about not being able to do a propulsive landing when that's not the issue. 

I'm curious what you think is the issue. From knowing how the code works, I understand why the message says what it does: parachutes brought it down to about 7m/s (low cutoff of 6m/s) so it attempted powered recovery to get below the minimum cutoff for maximum recovery percentage but found no point of control. It was going too fast, however, so it didn't make it anyway. The speed and powered recovery status are still printed to help you know if it would have recovered if it hadn't burned up. I suppose I could make the cause of failure more prominent and reword some things when recovery fails for X reason.

Those messages are all added by different parts of code and are totally independent, so they aren't always clear when all of them happen.

22 minutes ago, magico13 said:

I'm curious what you think is the issue. From knowing how the code works, I understand why the message says what it does: parachutes brought it down to about 7m/s (low cutoff of 6m/s) so it attempted powered recovery to get below the minimum cutoff for maximum recovery percentage but found no point of control. It was going too fast, however, so it didn't make it anyway. The speed and powered recovery status are still printed to help you know if it would have recovered if it hadn't burned up. I suppose I could make the cause of failure more prominent and reword some things when recovery fails for X reason.

Those messages are all added by different parts of code and are totally independent, so they aren't always clear when all of them happen.

I can see the point about letting you know if it was recoverable but the way the message is worded it looks like it tried it.  As I said, it's only a message bug, the code did what it should have.

Question:  If I included some fuel on board could SR use it for a retroburn to avoid burning up?