[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

7 hours ago, BUGescape said:

Thank you. I did leave 1500m/s dv of fuel and stage them manually: I throttle the engine to 0 and stage, and move my focus to upper stage.

With this, it should at least have some hint in the stock message, but no, it just says: 'stock module used' :(

Thank you.

It works like that before, when I did not implement any sort of recovery tech, some message with pop up like 'stage burn up, did not find a point of control, try to add a probe on it'....

But this time it just says 'stock module used', 'destroyed xxx km from ksc'...

The "stock module used" is for parachutes and just indicates whether it was using RealChute's calculations or stock ones. With no parachutes it'll use the stock one. So it looks like it found the probe core but may not have found the engine. Can you upload the craft file? I'm guessing it's using a currently unsupported engine module. Alternatively if you can tell me what mod the engine is from and what the engine is called I can try it out myself (or both).

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Zafer Altan said:

I downloaded the mod, and it doesn't work quit well i drop a stage, and it gives me a message that it is recovored but i do not have the button where you can see all your recovored vessels.

When you recover a vessel you simply get back a percentage (based on distance) of the value of whatever it was made of and any kerbals and science.  There are no "recovered vessels" to examine, same as with the stock game.

On 5/13/2018 at 6:17 PM, Gordon Dry said:

@Loren Pechtel Well, in flight mode there should be a button with "SR" written on it, too. Clicking this button in flight shows the stats of recovered stages and destroyed stages.

i get the message that it is recovored, but there is no button with SR on it.

4 hours ago, Zafer Altan said:

i get the message that it is recovored, but there is no button with SR on it.

Do you use Toolbar mod? Perhaps it's set up to be in Toolbar by SR, but not enabled in Toolbar itself ...

Hi, I am trying to get my RP-0 recovery rocket working.  I have an RD108 core with 2 AJ-10 (MID) engines to decelerate and parachutes for landing and a THOR Avionics for control and 800 electric charge.  The AJ-10s have 1550 dv.  When I fly the rocket by hand everything works.

When staging I set throttle to 0 and activate the AJ-10s

Stage recovery says the stage burns up in atmosphere at 3200ish m/s

Are the AJ-10s not supported?

Is the TWR to low?  I know I have to start my burn at about 90k when flying manually.

Am I not allow to mix fuel types?  Do I need to place the AJ-10's first?  How does this work with sub assemblies?

17 minutes ago, Nich said:

Hi, I am trying to get my RP-0 recovery rocket working. 

Rp-0 will have (at least) two problems: the first is that the engine modules probably aren't supported so it won't recognize them when trying to perform powered recoveries, and the second is that the velocity that it "burns up" at may be set too low for an RP-0 game (although powered recovery should help with that so it might not need to be changed).

I believe you can mix fuel types, it doesn't matter the order you place things, and subassemblies aren't recognized specially since they technically don't exist in flight.

You can send me a log file, craft file, and maybe a save file and I can look into it. I am guessing the main problem is that the engine module isn't supported yet.

3 hours ago, Nich said:

Hi, I am trying to get my RP-0 recovery rocket working.  I have an RD108 core with 2 AJ-10 (MID) engines to decelerate and parachutes for landing and a THOR Avionics for control and 800 electric charge.  The AJ-10s have 1550 dv.  When I fly the rocket by hand everything works.

When staging I set throttle to 0 and activate the AJ-10s

Stage recovery says the stage burns up in atmosphere at 3200ish m/s

Are the AJ-10s not supported?

Is the TWR to low?  I know I have to start my burn at about 90k when flying manually.

Am I not allow to mix fuel types?  Do I need to place the AJ-10's first?  How does this work with sub assemblies?

3200m/s will fry the rocket every time--that's above Kerbin escape velocity.  You'll need to edit the config as you're obviously using a different world.

@magico13 re the player using AJ10 for powered Reentry: there's another problem in that the code checks that TWR >= 1

While obviously important for the landing phase it is less important for deceleration during Reentry phase. (Though if it didn't have enough during the first burn then it may not have enough for landing. It all depends on if it burns enough mass to raise its twr for landing)

not mentioned is whether or not those were sstu cluster engines. Those would appear to SR as one single engine. A fix for that would require either changes to sstu to expose the field holding the number of engines or some heavy duty parsing of the engine module config (by SR)

Edited by Starwaster

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing a lot of Falcon 9 style launches lately, and that raised an interesting question, would it be possible to check if a rocket has enough DeltaV to fly back to the KSC?  I noticed that my recovered stages are coming down about 300 km away from the launch site and only expending enough delta-V for the suicide burn, when I could be getting better recovery percentage if they were capable of flying back like the real Falcon 9.  I know I could take manual control with FMRS, but that takes extra time.

On 6/10/2018 at 2:55 PM, Capt. Hunt said:

I've been doing a lot of Falcon 9 style launches lately, and that raised an interesting question, would it be possible to check if a rocket has enough DeltaV to fly back to the KSC?  I noticed that my recovered stages are coming down about 300 km away from the launch site and only expending enough delta-V for the suicide burn, when I could be getting better recovery percentage if they were capable of flying back like the real Falcon 9.  I know I could take manual control with FMRS, but that takes extra time.

For full laziness, use mechjeb. I know how people say its cheating, but on board guidance computers are used by SpaceX.

14 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

For full laziness, use mechjeb. I know how people say its cheating, but on board guidance computers are used by SpaceX.

Nowhere in this game does it state that you HAVE to do everything by hand or you lose the game. There's no such thing as cheating here.

12 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Nowhere in this game does it state that you HAVE to do everything by hand or you lose the game. There's no such thing as cheating here.

I agree, its just that there are people who feel offended by mechjeb. Better be careful than be sorry.

2 hours ago, Xd the great said:

I agree, its just that there are people who feel offended by mechjeb. Better be careful than be sorry.

No need to be careful. To be blunt, that's their problem, that they feel offended by something like using MJ instead of a manual control.

Enough of this OT :)

13 hours ago, maja said:

No need to be careful. To be blunt, that's their problem, that they feel offended by something like using MJ instead of a manual control.

Enough of this OT :)

hehe i agree. Anyway, will stage recovery add a function to semi-command the spent rocket stages to go back to ksc?

17 hours ago, Xd the great said:

hehe i agree. Anyway, will stage recovery add a function to semi-command the spent rocket stages to go back to ksc?

No, it just tries to land them where they are. It shouldn't be too hard to do a simple check to see if after deducting enough to decelerate to safe speeds and then to land if there also would have been enough to send it back to the launch site...

23 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

No, it just tries to land them where they are. It shouldn't be too hard to do a simple check to see if after deducting enough to decelerate to safe speeds and then to land if there also would have been enough to send it back to the launch site...

Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple as Stage Recovery is triggered when it goes outside physics range, not when it's jettisoned.  Thus the boostback burn will be calculated at the wrong time.

6 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple as Stage Recovery is triggered when it goes outside physics range, not when it's jettisoned.  Thus the boostback burn will be calculated at the wrong time.

Doesn't matter. Not sure why you're thinking there's some difficulty here but there isn't any. The distance from KSC is already being calculated (necessary in order to determine refund amount) and from there it's just a matter of determining if there's enough delta-v to boost back in addition to the checks made for reentry burn and landing.

It's just math.

9 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Doesn't matter. Not sure why you're thinking there's some difficulty here but there isn't any. The distance from KSC is already being calculated (necessary in order to determine refund amount) and from there it's just a matter of determining if there's enough delta-v to boost back in addition to the checks made for reentry burn and landing.

It's just math.

The main problem is that since SR triggers at destruction, and destruction happens around 25km altitude, the boostback probably should have started a while ago and now there's a bunch of extra downward velocity that wouldn't have been an issue if you did the burn at apoapsis. It'll also be further down range. Ignoring those problems it wouldn't be too hard to "burn" the excess fuel to try to get closer to KSC, it just would be way less optimal than doing it with FMRS.

10 hours ago, Starwaster said:

It's just math.

The distance calculation is fine.  The problem is the boostback burn should be done long before Stage Recovery is triggered.  By the time Stage Recovery wakes up it has no idea of when the stage was jettisoned and thus where the boostback could have been done.  (I have successfully used Stage Recovery on boosters that had been used to fly to the Mun.  Landing the rocket intact was asking for trouble if it came down on land but Stage Recovery doesn't worry about little things like tipping over.)

The only way I see that Stage Recovery could be made to handle it is if it somehow knew what was supposed to be recovered.  My suggestion:  A recovery controller that's attached to the stage.  When a stage is separated so it has no other control point the recovery controller activates.  It looks at the remaining fuel, allocates what it will need for landing after considering chutes, allocates what it will need to get it down to a safe velocity and uses the remainder to get as close to KSC as possible.  Note that this is not always a boostback, such a system would permit stages to be recovered from in orbit.

Would it be easier to just increase the percentage of value recovered regardless of distance from KSC if it was a powered return, under the assumption that there is a barge or some alternative landing/recovery area prearranged as the landing location?

On 6/14/2018 at 7:46 AM, Loren Pechtel said:

The distance calculation is fine.  The problem is the boostback burn should be done long before Stage Recovery is triggered.  By the time Stage Recovery wakes up it has no idea of when the stage was jettisoned and thus where the boostback could have been done.  (I have successfully used Stage Recovery on boosters that had been used to fly to the Mun.  Landing the rocket intact was asking for trouble if it came down on land but Stage Recovery doesn't worry about little things like tipping over.)

The only way I see that Stage Recovery could be made to handle it is if it somehow knew what was supposed to be recovered.  My suggestion:  A recovery controller that's attached to the stage.  When a stage is separated so it has no other control point the recovery controller activates.  It looks at the remaining fuel, allocates what it will need for landing after considering chutes, allocates what it will need to get it down to a safe velocity and uses the remainder to get as close to KSC as possible.  Note that this is not always a boostback, such a system would permit stages to be recovered from in orbit.

I'm not worried about what the spent stage actually does while it's still in physics range (as long as it doesn't explode) I know that SR just runs the math and doesn't actually land your rocket anyway.  @Starwaster has the right idea, it just needs to check if it can do it.  If you want it to actually do a correct boostback, you can use FMRS.