[0.24.2] DebRefund v1.0.13

Vendan

DebRefund refunds you for dropped stages and such that have enough parachutes to land.

Basically, put parachutes on stuff!

Funds will get added, and messages will appear in the message box, as debris is "recovered".

There are 3 regions of recovery, based on mass to parachute drag ratio.

Green is landed safe, and does 88% to 9% refund based on distance from KSC, yellow is landed with some damage, and yields 90% to 50% of the green level, and red is it slammed into the ground, no refund.

Green is <6m/s touchdown speed, Yellow is <10m/s touchdown speed.

Yes, this is similar to StageRecovery, apparently we had the same idea at the same time. One feature DebRefund has is integration into the message system, so you can see your refund amounts easily.

There is update checking available, but it is disabled by default. Please enable. In addition, due to the many frustrations of dealing with issues on a single thread, I will not be checking this thread for issues. Please use my issue tracker at https://github.com/andyleap/DebRefund/issues, or get on IRC on esper.net, channel #DebRefund. Webchat.

DebRefund is compatible with RealChute.

Make sure you give me your output_log.txt.

ChangeLog

Go to KerbalStuff for changelog

Privacy Statement: If you enable the update check, the following information is sent to the KerbalStuff server:

IP address

the fact that you play KSP

I don't control the KerbalStuff server, but you can go read their privacy statement http://beta.kerbalstuff.com/privacy

screenshot37.png

Download at KerbalStuff

Sourcecode on Github

License: MIT license

Edited by Vendan

Any chance of making restrictions of what can be recovered and where? TBH, recovery in the ocean should only be possible for SRBs, and recovery on land shouldn't be possible at all, without damage, at least.

There is only a DLL to download. So should I just put it in my Data folder of KSP and then it works?

Usually you just put DLLs in GameData. Mods generally shouldn't touch folders other than that and Ships.

Has anyone figured out when it's not worth bothering? I mean smaller SRBs cost less than a parachute, there must be a point where it is throwing Funds away to put a parachute on something.

Has anyone figured out when it's not worth bothering? I mean smaller SRBs cost less than a parachute, there must be a point where it is throwing Funds away to put a parachute on something.

The parachute is also recovered.

It looks like that when using this mod I am unable to recover crafts manually. When I press the recover button after landing, the screen goes black and I can't do anything. Have to alt-f4 to quit. This problem only happens when using the mod, I just disabled the mod and I am able to recover crafts again. Am I the only one having this issue?

The parachute is also recovered.

Ok so the decider becomes the additional mass added (if the launch vehicle is borderline). Does this work with RealChutes? I'm getting red messages back all the time on a test rocket and I'm using the RealChutes release for 0.24. Or is there a rough 'chutes per ton' to aim for?

Easy to figure out. If cost of parts without parachutes * recovery percent > cost of parachutes * recovery loss percentage, then you stand to gain from the recovery.

Or simply, if the parachutes lose more value from recovery than you stand to gain from saving the rest of the parts, then you're wasting money sticking them on.

Worth taking a look at fuel tank costs in relation to this. You could add a decoupler between the engine and the tank, stick chutes on just the engine, and have a cheaper chute cost to recover just the expensive engine.

I took off realchutes and added 4 radial plus 1 mk16 chutes to each of 2 BACC SRBs. They still return a red 'hit hard' message and no cash. There's got to be something wrong here, it can't take that many chutes for 1.5t of dry SRB.

Log chunk:

[LOG 21:04:21.137] Vessel Escape 1 Debris was on-rails at 0.5 atm pressure and was destroyed.

[LOG 21:04:21.138] Vessel Escape 1 Debris was on-rails at 0.5 atm pressure and was destroyed.

[LOG 21:04:21.139] DebRefund Vessel Destroyed

[LOG 21:04:21.140] DebRefund: radialDecoupler

[LOG 21:04:21.140] DebRefund: solidBooster1-1

[LOG 21:04:21.141] DebRefund: parachuteRadial

[LOG 21:04:21.141] DebRefund: parachuteRadial

[LOG 21:04:21.141] DebRefund: parachuteSingle

[LOG 21:04:21.142] DebRefund: parachuteRadial

[LOG 21:04:21.142] DebRefund: parachuteRadial

[LOG 21:04:21.143] DebRefund: 0 2.225

[LOG 21:04:21.145] DebRefund Vessel Destroyed

[LOG 21:04:21.145] DebRefund: radialDecoupler

[LOG 21:04:21.145] DebRefund: solidBooster1-1

[LOG 21:04:21.146] DebRefund: parachuteRadial

[LOG 21:04:21.146] DebRefund: parachuteRadial

[LOG 21:04:21.147] DebRefund: parachuteSingle

[LOG 21:04:21.147] DebRefund: parachuteRadial

[LOG 21:04:21.147] DebRefund: parachuteRadial

[LOG 21:04:21.148] DebRefund: 0 2.225

I put the DLL in my gamedata folder and even though I've put parachutes on everything I drop and they deploy when I stage, I don't get any window about recovery.

Is this supposed to happen as they land or only after I complete the mission?

EDIT: After completing the mission I got back just under 1200 in recovered funds on a rocket that cost just under 16000.

I guess I'm one of the people it's not working for. (using the 64 bit version on steam)

Edited by Kerba Fett

I read the source on KerbalStuff, the problem I have is because this does not support RealChutes yet and although I removed the module manager config for the stock chutes, the code goes the empty RealChutes path if it finds the RealChutes DLL present.

bool RealChutes = AssemblyLoader.loadedAssemblies.Any(a => a.name.Contains("RealChute"));

if (RealChutes)
{
ProtoPartModuleSnapshot pm = p.modules.FirstOrDefault(pms => pms.moduleName == "RealChuteModule");
if (pm != null)
{
//CODE THE CODES AND CODE CODE CODE!
}
}
else

I'll remove RealChutes completely, restart and it should work. Major bummer though, RealChutes is a must have mod.

Just installed this and launched an orbital rescue mission. Strapped 4x radial chutes to each of my booster stacks and it essentially worked perfectly. Only thing that didn't was my first stage had a collision problem that destroyed one of the chutes on deployment, easily fixed with sepratrons or something. Great mod!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.