[0.24.2] DebRefund v1.0.13

Vendan

If you use RealChutes, that shouldn't be a problem, as RC uses its own drag code to deal with parachutes.

I would highly suggest DebRefund users consider using RealChutes - especially because that can greatly reduce the parts needed to recover heavier stages.

This, SOOOO THIS! RealChutes can scale parachutes up, which helps massively with larger asparagus stages and such. You might need 8~10 stock radials, or 1 RealChute nose cone and a radial.

Ah, I seem to be getting "landed hard, nothing recovered" messages from DebRefund for my launch clamps. That seem right to you?

Also, feature request: I've been shuttling modules up to my space station recently using a heavy lifter with a probe core on it for control. Trouble is, while DebRefund recovers my boosters and lower stage just fine, I have to manually land the upper stage because of that probe core - and, honestly, manually parking used stages isn't exactly my idea of a fun time. Could we have some way to mark something that isn't normally considered debris - like one of those stages - as debris, so I can just execute a reentry burn for them, hit the magic button, and let DebRefund take it from there?

Thanks,

-c

Uh hjave you seen stageRecovery? You came up with the the nice GUI first and now I look at stage recovery it looks very very similar now...

Well, we are both using the stock messaging system, so unfortunately there is going to be similarities in appearance (with any mods that use the message system). But I believe StageRecovery has some different values that it displays than DebRefund (I haven't actually looked at what DebRefund displays in a while, so I don't recall what all is displayed exactly) and everything is being developed independently. Though Vendan did give me permission to look at DebRefund's integration with the message system so that I could use it in my mods.

Before people even start suggesting it, StageRecovery and DebRefund are not copies of each other, both were originally developed separately and are even now developing separately, which is good for both of them. I have contributed bug fixes and examples to Vendan and I have also learned from him (an example: I was the one who first mentioned that he was refunding higher than the actual part cost and provided an alternative, and his implementation of the stock message system is how I learned to use it). StageRecovery had Kerbal recovery first, but DebRefund got science recovery working first. And if you look at the features each has now, I think you'd agree that they're branching off from the similar core system they share. The only reason I continued StageRecovery is because I was tired of waiting for DebRefund to have some sort of API for use with my primary mod, now I'm continuing it as a standalone expansion for my primary mod, Kerbal Construction Time.

Actually, here's another feature request:

Parts in KAS containers (KAS's own, or the Universal Storage KAS wedge) don't appear to be being counted/refunded. If they could be, that'd be great, since I tend to pack old parts into KAS wedges when upgrading satellites, then drop them with the re-entry stage.

-c

Actually, here's another feature request:

Parts in KAS containers (KAS's own, or the Universal Storage KAS wedge) don't appear to be being counted/refunded. If they could be, that'd be great, since I tend to pack old parts into KAS wedges when upgrading satellites, then drop them with the re-entry stage.

-c

i have a problem of my own. just skimming through the text i've seen that the big solid fuel booster is giving me -3200 rather than plus...

i have a problem of my own. just skimming through the text i've seen that the big solid fuel booster is giving me -3200 rather than plus...

Like the previous complaint about this, I am unable to reproduce. If you are using a mod that adjusts prices, that's your problem. Complain to the author for not adjusting fuel costs too

Like the previous complaint about this, I am unable to reproduce. If you are using a mod that adjusts prices, that's your problem. Complain to the author for not adjusting fuel costs too

ok i'll complain to squad. lol

sorry i don't think i made it clear. it's the big BACC rokomax boster(RT-20, costs 700). it gives me -320 when i recover it...

ok i'll complain to squad. lol

sorry i don't think i made it clear. it's the big BACC rokomax boster(RT-20, costs 700). it gives me -320 when i recover it...

then you need to provide proof of some kind, a screenshot, a log file, something, as 5 minutes of testing showed me this:

y-9Kkd3BM4gs.png

BACC booster, refunded for 190.

I'm not sure if this is working for me, I put parachutes on my lower stage but I didn't get any messages about it being recovered or destroyed.

I take it that I just extract the contents of the zip in my gamedata folder?

There's no description of how to install or configure it anywhere I could see.

EDIT - nevermind, it worked on my second flight :)

Edited by MartGonzo

then you need to provide proof of some kind, a screenshot, a log file, something, as 5 minutes of testing showed me this:

First, thank you for the mod. I really missed this functionality in stock KSP.

Unfortunately, I see the same problem as AntiMatter001 with the S1 SRB-KD25k. The refund is -1200 (even if I they don't hit hard). Below are two screenshots, one for the debrefund message and the other from the VAB showing the prices for SRB and fuel.

I hope this helps to track down the issue.

jQvDXA9.pngBKCfZal.png

This, SOOOO THIS! RealChutes can scale parachutes up, which helps massively with larger asparagus stages and such. You might need 8~10 stock radials, or 1 RealChute nose cone and a radial.

Only issue is you basically have to config RC per chute/symmetry manually to get separate stages to survive. If you just plop down RC chutes on the side of a stage, the automatic behaviour is that they try to calculate mass for the whole craft and this messes stuff up.

Found an interesting interaction with Tweakscale and the two part recovery mods I've seen, DebRefund and StageRecovery. The SRB's are causing a negative amount of funds to be recovered. For the larger boosters you could actually end up recovering a negative amount.

When I commented out the RT-10 from the Squad_TweakScale.cfg it recovered with positive value. Not sure if this is a TweakScale bug or one for the other mods, but I'm going to post this in those their respective threads since I've seen a few folks running into this issue.

Same issue Antimatter001 and SpaceSkipper are seeing I think.

Perhaps if you added a few chutes...

As I said before, the refund is -1200 even if the debris doesn't hit hard. Here is an example, where it landed safely.

hsV1KMV.png

Found an interesting interaction with Tweakscale and the two part recovery mods I've seen, DebRefund and StageRecovery. The SRB's are causing a negative amount of funds to be recovered. For the larger boosters you could actually end up recovering a negative amount.

When I commented out the RT-10 from the Squad_TweakScale.cfg it recovered with positive value. Not sure if this is a TweakScale bug or one for the other mods, but I'm going to post this in those their respective threads since I've seen a few folks running into this issue.

Same issue Antimatter001 and SpaceSkipper are seeing I think.

Yes this is the same issue. After reading your post, I removed the KD25K from the NASA tweakscale config and now DebRefund refunds me 299.9999.

got a null reference exception, related to debrefund: '>output_log.txt (win64)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at DebRefund.DebRefundManager.onVesselDestroy (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object, Boolean)

UnityEngine.Object:DestroyImmediate(Object)

ProtoPartSnapshot:Load(Vessel, Boolean)

ProtoVessel:LoadObjects()

Vessel:Load()

Vessel:Update()

Edited by acc

This is, as far as I can tell, a TweakScale only issue, as it happens to native refunding with only TweakScale installed(i.e. no DebRefund).

https://mediacru.sh/IevnuCHcccW4.png

hmmm ok i'll mess around some more and see if i can't get this thing working. (<- by this i mean just uninstalling this mod and putting the money in by hand :P thanks for your help though)

hmmm ok i'll mess around some more and see if i can't get this thing working. (<- by this i mean just uninstalling this mod and putting the money in by hand :P thanks for your help though)

You do realize that TweakScale updated about 2 hours before your post with a fix to this exact problem? And people thought I was crazy for putting in an update checker.....

Perhaps if you added a few chutes...

what SpaceSkipper is demonstrating is that the cost of the engine is 300; the cost of the fuel is 1500. However, the DebRefund window shows that 1200 per engine was lost (excluding fuel); it should be 300 per engine.

Edited by Apollo13

DebRefund should not be charging any amount when a part is destroyed. The player already paid for the parts when the rocket was built and launched. Therefore, 5thHorseman, the negative values for the spent SRBs are meaningless, regardless of the amount shown in the DebRefund message window. So, you can keep Tweakscale.

The only time the DebRefund amount should have an effect on funds is when it's positive. That is, the funds are added back.

Edited by Apollo13

DebRefund should not be charging any amount when a part is destroyed. The player already paid for the parts when the rocket was built and launched. Therefore, 5thHorseman, the negative values for the spent SRBs are meaningless, regardless of the amount shown in the DebRefund message window. So, you can keep Tweakscale.

The only time the DebRefund amount should have an effect on funds is when it's positive. That is, the funds are added back.

So when I'm on the launch pad, and I've got 10000 in the bank, and I launch and detatch my SRB with a parachute, and debrefund says I recovered -1200 funds, and my money window says I've now got 8800 funds... I shouldn't worry?

Because that's what's happening.

Note: I'm not saying this is DebRefund's fault. It's not. It's Tweakscale's. TweakScale has a bug in it that makes SRBs worth negative money. DebRefund is just using that wrong value in its calculations because it has no other value to use.

So when I'm on the launch pad, and I've got 10000 in the bank, and I launch and detatch my SRB with a parachute, and debrefund says I recovered -1200 funds, and my money window says I've now got 8800 funds... I shouldn't worry?

Because that's what's happening.

Note: I'm not saying this is DebRefund's fault. It's not. It's Tweakscale's. TweakScale has a bug in it that makes SRBs worth negative money. DebRefund is just using that wrong value in its calculations because it has no other value to use.

Correct, though TweakScale should be fixed now. In addition, I'm planning on using negative returns in the future, as some stuff is too dangerous to just let it explode on the ground. (Think nuclear engines and such) Hopefully I'll even be able to do some calculations to say landing stuff on water is safer then land, and such, but that starts getting complex

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.