[0.24.2] DebRefund v1.0.13

Vendan

Agreed, but an orange tank plus engine is abit excessive when you have to put 14-16 chutes on it, it would be perfectly fine with maybe 8. Maybe the the author could come up with a formulae that makes sure the speed of descent is under 6ms or there abouts, such that engines will survive the impact with the ground

Yes but my stages are clustered with chutes. My ~50t lunchstage costs 60k funds and it needs another 14k funds of Chutes and the hole rocket just looks ugly with that amount of chutes

lets make it mass dependent but with a maximum of 3 chutes per stage. When i put 3 chutes on it i will be 100% sure that the stage gona survive.

I don't think that's a good idea personally. The mod should try to stay as close as possible to what would happen if the debris didn't auto delete at 2.5k. There's no way you could land something even modestly large with only three chutes if you did it yourself, and I think that's what the mod is trying to simulate.

Here's an idea:

If you need a quick hackfix, to make your stuff survive, while waiting for the dev to fix the inaccuracies: Just edit the configfile! There you go: Safe landings, without the need to prematurely change the mod in... sorry.... STUPID WAYS..... just because the current sane approach still needs fixing.

I'm having a rather strange problem. First off, my rocket has a short SRB first stage which gets dumped only a few km up, then a long liquid fuel stage which sticks my apoapsis into space and gets dumped at some 30km up. With both stages, if I don't have any parachutes on them I get a red message that tells me they splashed down hard, however if I do have parachutes on either stage, stock or realchute, that stage gets deleted as it would without the mod, and I don't get any messages at all. This seems to be the case no matter if the parachute is deployed when dropping the stage or not (I haven't been able to tell from the mod description nor really test it for myself yet). I just downloaded the mod an hour or two ago, so it should be the 1.0.9 version.

Maybe it was already asked, but this only applies to debris-class objects with a parachute in an atmosphere?

It's not debris class, it's just anything that's getting killed in Kerbin's atmosphere because it's outside of physics range.

I've been playing with this mod for some days now, and I might just be doing it wrong, but everything is recorded as "splashed down hard", even though I feel that I have enough parachutes. For example, shouldn't two stock radial chutes be enough for two long 1.25m tanks and one engine, or am I too much of a miser?

Edited by Boosterspice

I've been playing with this mod for some days now, and I might just be doing it wrong, but everything is recorded as "splashed down hard", even though I feel that I have enough parachutes. For example, shouldn't two stock radial chutes be enough for two long 1.25m tanks and one engine, or am I to much of a miser?

have you already updated to version 1.0.9?

I've been playing with this mod for some days now, and I might just be doing it wrong, but everything is recorded as "splashed down hard", even though I feel that I have enough parachutes. For example, shouldn't two stock radial chutes be enough for two long 1.25m tanks and one engine, or am I to much of a miser?

Little bit of a miser, though you can alter the default drag requirements in the config file.

RJUWASgZApdR.png

_iEkhGkv9fPN.png

Edited by Vendan

I found a bug that is related to loading a craft from the space center. The game crashed twice when I tried to fly a lander I had on Minmus. When I looked through the logs a found a null reference for DebRefund and removing the mod allowed me to fly my lander. Crash Report Clicky

Also, I notice weird mouse behavior that made it difficult to right click on objects some times taking 4-5 clicks and I was actually restarting the game to see if that fixed it when this happened. After removing DebRefund my mouse was back to normal. It may be unrelated but its something to watch for.

Not a bug more a suggestion. on notice of a hard debris hit the parts list gives the full prices as it being recovered, such as "4 x Aero Stabalizer @ 100 = 400" It may be more representative of the lack of recovering it it showed as "4 x Aero Stabalizer @ 100 = 0" as one don't get anything for squished parts.

Is it necessary to deploy the chutes you put on your stages or does it just take into account that the chutes exist? Also I noticed sometimes the stage would touch down nice and soft, but I would not get credit for the refund.

Also can you please put the version number in the name of your zip so we know when you have updated?

Is it necessary to deploy the chutes you put on your stages or does it just take into account that the chutes exist? Also I noticed sometimes the stage would touch down nice and soft, but I would not get credit for the refund.

Also can you please put the version number in the name of your zip so we know when you have updated?

when you see the stage touching down, then you will not get any refunds^^ only if the game removes them ~2.5km in atmo.

If you get it from my main download source, it has the version number in the zip. The dll has the version number in it's properties. (both of these were explained a few pages ago). And now, there's a version check system in place, so you'll get a message next time I make an update.

Agreed, but an orange tank plus engine is abit excessive when you have to put 14-16 chutes on it, it would be perfectly fine with maybe 8. Maybe the the author could come up with a formulae that makes sure the speed of descent is under 6ms or there abouts, such that engines will survive the impact with the ground
I don't think that's a good idea personally. The mod should try to stay as close as possible to what would happen if the debris didn't auto delete at 2.5k. There's no way you could land something even modestly large with only three chutes if you did it yourself, and I think that's what the mod is trying to simulate.

So, I agree that it should come as close to realism as possible, but the recovery values are already ridiculously high. Furthermore, A mainsail, orange tank, and another 2x2.5m tank only took me four parachutes to get 88% value recovered. What chutes are you putting on these?

And lastly, I put the chutes inside the decoupler for the stage. Just a pro-tip there... you won't have to see them.

So, I agree that it should come as close to realism as possible, but the recovery values are already ridiculously high. Furthermore, A mainsail, orange tank, and another 2x2.5m tank only took me four parachutes to get 88% value recovered. What chutes are you putting on these?

And lastly, I put the chutes inside the decoupler for the stage. Just a pro-tip there... you won't have to see them.

Just a heads up, the latest version did do a complete redesign of the drag calcs, so his complaints may have already been addressed.

I would like a small explanation of this with real chutes, do i just install real chutes as normal and it will work "out of the box" or do i need to do anything to ensure they work correctly?

I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but the refund amounts for tanks is off. When the mod refunds money for fuel tanks (doesn't matter if it's an LFO tank or an SRB) it refunds the full purchase price of the tank, INCLUDING the cost of the fuel, regardless of how much fuel you used. This returns way more money than it should, especially for SRB's since about 90% of the expense of SRB's comes from the solid fuel, not the tank itself.

So, for example, if I purchase an RT-10 Solid Fuel Booster for 325, 260 of that cost is coming from the fuel itself. So when I stage this part and completely use up all of its fuel and it lands safely; I should only be refunded 65 for the cost of the tank itself, since that is all that has been recovered. Instead, the current implementation of this mod will refund me 325, as if the tank were still full of fuel.

I also think the percentages that are refunded based on landing speed (88% for green, and 50% for yellow) are way too high and forgiving for the player, but that's just a matter of opinion. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.