Wait... Did I misunderstand the contract?

I accepted a contract to test out a new parachute. I had to be between 480 and 680 m/s, and between 17km and 29km.

So, I launched a simple ship up to about 50km, then controlled my descent just enough that I was at around 600 m/s at 28km, within the upper bounds of the contract parameters, and then manually opened the chute (I wanted to try and save as many of my stages as possible). I landed the ship safely, but I didn't receive any of my contract pay. Now I'm short about 10k funds and I don't have enough to finish the contract? What did I do wrong? =/ I can't figure out what went wrong. Is there something I'm missing?

it sounds like the contracts perform the completion checks when the part is staged, so opening it manually probably didn't trigger the check.

There should also be a "test part" button if you right-click the part if you activate it manually.

We're all going thru a learning process.

There is a little (+) when you look at the contract section while getting ready to explode your craft at the launch pad. That will tell you what you need to do to to test the part properly. I had the ant engine that needed me to right click and 'run test' and not go through staging. So not all parts that can be staged need to be staged for it to complete.

The above should be done with what Maximus97 mentioned too.

You need to trigger it through staging. Not manually.

I ran into this aswell. Some Contracts say, that you have to activate the part in question through staging, some have to be tested through the context menu.

But you will find the instructions in the Contract description when you accept them

I ran into this as well. Some Contracts say, that you have to activate the part in question through staging, some have to be tested through the context menu.

But you will find the instructions in the Contract description when you accept them

A quick fix while in a situation where you want to "test" a part that you need to stage to in order to test it, is to create a new stage and place the part into it, then move the stage to the end of the staging list (make it the next stage) and stage to it. This will work if the part has already been staged to, such as an engine you may have used to get into orbit, but must stage to while in orbit. This is probably an exploit that they will fix, or perhaps they will put manual test buttons on all parts at a later date.

A quick fix while in a situation where you want to "test" a part that you need to stage to in order to test it, is to create a new stage and place the part into it, then move the stage to the end of the staging list (make it the next stage) and stage to it. This will work if the part has already been staged to, such as an engine you may have used to get into orbit, but must stage to while in orbit. This is probably an exploit that they will fix, or perhaps they will put manual test buttons on all parts at a later date.

Yup - this works. I have been doing this as well.

I don't think it's an exploit if there is a context menu option to run the test.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.