[1.12.x] USI Exploration Pack - Small parts, big adventure! [v 0.6.0]

RoverDude

• 2 weeks later...

@RoverDude 

I've been having some issues with different RCS thrusters, and wanted to let you know about it.  I first found it on the SETI Probes pack, but it seems there are others, including the AES RCS Block.
I wanted to make sure it wasn't another mod interfering with it, and I found some are working correctly (graphics and direction) and others are not.  The graphics are way to bright (blinding in space), and the jets graphics go in the wrong direction (but thrust is in the right direction).  Note I didn't test all thrusters, but tried to grab 1 or 2 per mod I have installed that have them.

Left to Right (* means graphics and direction issues)

KWRocketry - mk1 rcs quad
KWRocketry - mk1-45 rcs quad
NearFuturePropulsion - HeFt-4 Magnetoplasmadynamic rcs block
KerbalReusabilityExpansion - Advanced vernier thruster medium
*B9_Aerospace - R12 RCS Thruster Block
*B9_Aerospace - R5 RCS Thruster Block
NearFutureLaunchVehicles - RQ-5x4 Heavy RCS Block
Squad - RV-105 RCS Thruster Block
NearFutureSpacecraft - RV-105x5 RCS Thruster Block
NearFutureSpacecraft - RX-55 Advanced RCS Block
*UmbraSpaceIndustries - AES RCS Block
NearFutureLaunchVehicles - RQ-5A Aerodynamic Heavy RCS Block
*RealScaleBoosters - Saturn S-IVB Auxiliary Propulsion System
SpaceY-Lifters - SpaceY "Super Dibamus" RCS/OMS Thrust Block
SpaceY-Lifters - SpaceY RCS-5x7 Thruster Block
*SETIprobeParts - RV-15 RCS Thruster Block
*SETIprobeParts - Inline mini rcs

uc?export=view&id=1CLPFyWETVHIIZspFBGRbi

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2017 at 11:12 AM, Bodo said:

So, why does the Packrat launch itself into orbit on Minmus when it bumps into a Kerbal or some other inane thing?

On 11/28/2016 at 12:32 AM, hieywiey said:

.....When anything touches the wheels, it shoots the PackRat 200 meters into the air.

On 11/11/2016 at 10:58 PM, Stratickus said:

Is the Pack-Rat command seat ejecting anyone else? When I 'Leave Seat', it shoots me straight up slightly above the cargo net and I come crashing down usually smashing the camera and antenna attached at the nodes adjacent to the command seat. .....

Encountering similar issues with:
KSP 1.4.2 Build 2110
ExpPack 0.11.0.0
Example is on Kerbin. But with less gravity (e.g. Minmus) the effects are worse.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bfcz16vcn6wxja/Jumpy.flv?dl=0

When I replace the file model.mu of the RatPack's "miniWheel" with the corresponding file of Squad's "roverWheelM1" and change the values of "ejectDirection" in the .cfg file of the "PackRat_Seat" to 0.0, 0.1, 0.1 - similar to the values of Squad's "externalCommandSeat " - the issues are gone.

If of interest, here is an example that shows assembly in the field is still possible:
using 

KIS 1.11.6659
KAS 0.6.4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki0fjgem7om6pxn/BuildRover.flv?dl=0

As you can see the rover is quite sturdy.

4 hours ago, Kurbalizer said:

Encountering similar issues with:
KSP 1.4.2 Build 2110
ExpPack 0.11.0.0
Example is on Kerbin. But with less gravity (e.g. Minmus) the effects are worse.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bfcz16vcn6wxja/Jumpy.flv?dl=0

When I replace the file model.mu of the RatPack's "miniWheel" with the corresponding file of Squad's "roverWheelM1" and change the values of "ejectDirection" in the .cfg file of the "PackRat_Seat" to 0.0, 0.1, 0.1 - similar to the values of Squad's "externalCommandSeat " - the issues are gone.

If of interest, here is an example that shows assembly in the field is still possible:
using 

KIS 1.11.6659
KAS 0.6.4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki0fjgem7om6pxn/BuildRover.flv?dl=0

As you can see the rover is quite sturdy.

Yes those have been issues since the packrat's release.  Nice fix.  I'll have to try it.  There are multiple ways to still build the pack rat via KIS.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 12:41 AM, Critter79606 said:

@RoverDude 

I've been having some issues with different RCS thrusters, and wanted to let you know about it.  I first found it on the SETI Probes pack, but it seems there are others, including the AES RCS Block.
I wanted to make sure it wasn't another mod interfering with it, and I found some are working correctly (graphics and direction) and others are not.  The graphics are way to bright (blinding in space), and the jets graphics go in the wrong direction (but thrust is in the right direction).  Note I didn't test all thrusters, but tried to grab 1 or 2 per mod I have installed that have them.

Left to Right (* means graphics and direction issues)

KWRocketry - mk1 rcs quad
KWRocketry - mk1-45 rcs quad
NearFuturePropulsion - HeFt-4 Magnetoplasmadynamic rcs block
KerbalReusabilityExpansion - Advanced vernier thruster medium
*B9_Aerospace - R12 RCS Thruster Block
*B9_Aerospace - R5 RCS Thruster Block
NearFutureLaunchVehicles - RQ-5x4 Heavy RCS Block
Squad - RV-105 RCS Thruster Block
NearFutureSpacecraft - RV-105x5 RCS Thruster Block
NearFutureSpacecraft - RX-55 Advanced RCS Block
*UmbraSpaceIndustries - AES RCS Block
NearFutureLaunchVehicles - RQ-5A Aerodynamic Heavy RCS Block
*RealScaleBoosters - Saturn S-IVB Auxiliary Propulsion System
SpaceY-Lifters - SpaceY "Super Dibamus" RCS/OMS Thrust Block
SpaceY-Lifters - SpaceY RCS-5x7 Thruster Block
*SETIprobeParts - RV-15 RCS Thruster Block
*SETIprobeParts - Inline mini rcs

Having just got around to updating from 1.3.1 to 1.4.3, I was just looking around the forums to see if anyone else had reported this!  (Clearly something had to go wrong, it was otherwise a suspiciously smooth upgrade...)

I suspect that a smallish positive number is now a gigantic negative number, given that the actual thrust is still in the correct direction.  Unfortunately I know nothing about building mods, so my ability to experiment is limited...

• 3 weeks later...

hi RoverDude. I love yours mods but I see a litle problems on this one.

DERP-pod have broken the Aerodinamics.
Uncommenting this line seems to fix it.

//bodyLiftMultiplier = 0

and I tink the DERP-pod, HERP-pod and AES-pod are  overpower... and there is no práctical diference beetwen HERP-pod and AES-pod.

I'm working on some modification of there 3 pod to making more balanced exclusivily for my next carrer game.

if you intrested on there i can share it.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Are you looking for one?

Try "Take Command":

I have it, it just allows to assign crew to External Command Seat from the Vab/SPH but not to do an IVA view.

Edited by kurgut

1 hour ago, kurgut said:

I have it, it just allows to assign crew to External Command Seat from the Vab/SPH but not to do an IVA view.

Oh -- I think I totally mis-read your question. Sorry! :D 

"Through the Eyes of a Kerbal" does a first-person EVA view, but as yet no combination of the two for external seats. Drat.

4 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Oh -- I think I totally mis-read your question. Sorry! :D 

"Through the Eyes of a Kerbal" does a first-person EVA view, but as yet no combination of the two for external seats. Drat.

No pb! :)

I already asked to Linuxguru if he could do that with through the eyes, of course he can't, that's not an EVA, it's a IVA! So maybe the best thing to do is ask to alexustas (ASET).

12 minutes ago, kurgut said:

No pb! :)

I already asked to Linuxguru if he could do that with through the eyes, of course he can't, that's not an EVA, it's a IVA! So maybe the best thing to do is ask to alexustas (ASET).

Yeah -- since they're essentially command pods, the IVA could be mostly transparent, with the tiny controls or instrument panel parts visible as in the model.

Just now, Beetlecat said:

Yeah -- since they're essentially command pods, the IVA could be mostly transparent, with the tiny controls or instrument panel parts visible as in the model.

Exactly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 2:28 PM, RoverDude said:

Yes

U should let it be known to everyone. I mean my game takes 20min to load n I'm like a cat in the water if a mono.dll error shows up after that. So if it's possible can u edit version on USI

Heil USI

• 2 weeks later...

I had hours of fun yesterday tweaking a packrat design for a mun expedition (expedition failed hilariously due to lack of Dv and some other problems but thats another story)

Anyway, I have two feature requests for this little rover:

First: a battery only back part - I feel the reactor powered one doesn't fit for the tech I'd researched, so I left that off and put batteries underneath. it looks quite cool. https://imgur.com/a/5zYj8H6 (or maybe a backpart wheel guards with attachments for battery or nothing or the reactor power?

requires solar or being plugged in every so often now.

Second: some attachment points (or parts with points) at the front and back to allow for easier usage of stack separators or whatever for decoupling from inside a cargo bay/fairing or whatever. (without the roof rack it fits really nicely inside the size2 parts from... I think the Airplane plus pack)

I ended up using the radial attachment point which looks kind of ugly, but I guess an engineer can remove it at the other end, I think.. if its not the root part.

The Otter could do with similar adjustments.

I was missing the EVA portraits on any ship with an occupied HERP. Turns out it was already fixed but the fix didn't make it into the 0.11.0 release. There is already an issue saying that:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/ExplorationPack/issues/146

The fix is just one line, a path in the IVA, so it was easy to make that change in my GameData.

Is it just me or are the AES RCS thruster animations firing in the wrong direction? (ie hit D and the ship will go right, but the thruster plume is coming out the right side too!)

I'll grab a screen shot.

Edit:

dU3SxkB.jpg

Hitting L and It's pushing me in the direction of the arrow (correctly), however the animation should be going the other direction, this is the same for all axes. (the animation is flipped on all of them)

The wheel motors are off.

It's a little confusing when trying to maneuver this thing in space

I feel like the animation might be a bit large too. it's not *that* powerful is it?

I've created this as an issue on github. also see my PR for the fixed PackRat wheels.

Edit again:

Ooops, I didn't even see ChrisF0001's post. duh.

But yeah this one doesn't appear to be a simple .cfg tweak so it's a bit out of my ken.

Edited by se5a

19 hours ago, se5a said:

If you put a tourist into a DERP pod, you don't have the option of transferring him out again.

Why don't you? Sometimes I have been missing the crew portrait for a Kerbal in a DERP and had trouble getting them out, but when I looked that up I found that you can also click directly on a crew hatch to get EVA/Transfer buttons for all the Kerbals in there. (If you use CLS the DERP pod isn't internally connected to anything, but then I don't think you could get a tourist into the pod in the first place).

Yeah got him in via Transfer, but right clicking on the DERP pod didn't have a transfer button, so I couldn't get him out. (realized after I'd transfered him that there was no way I could deploy the parachutes, or even de-orbit).

Guess I need to get my comms network up a bit more reliable so I can stick a probe core on them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.