[1.12.x] USI Exploration Pack - Small parts, big adventure! [v 0.6.0]

RoverDude

Hi. I'm using (trying to) USI bleeding-edge1 release in 1.12.2. I removed all the folders from GameData besides USI, USI tools (and Squad stuff), but still the game stops loading at UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExpPack/PackRat/Parts/PackRat_Mk2_Generator_01/PackRat_Mk2_Generator_01. Any ideas what's wrong?
Edit: After I removed the file, it now stops on FTT/Parts/FTT_DuctedFan_Atl/FTT_DuctedFan_Atl. So it doesn't look like a problem specific to the exploration pack.
Edit2: After I removed the FTT_DuctedFan_Atl file, now it's yet another file. Also the game loads fine with all the mods from my modlist installed except for USI.
Edit3: Ok, nevermind. Didn't realize  Community Resource Pack was NOT included. My bad.

Edited by jamqdlaty

Another unrelated question. There is a "SciencePack" inside of  "ExpPack". It includes a lot of science parts. Are they balanced in any way? So far I avoided using these, because it feels like cheating. Currently I literally have more of  these parts available than stock science experiments parts.  Does it do anything besides making science easier, letting me unlock stuff faster? Do you maybe have some recommended  science % value to set in difficulty when using the mod? How much science does it provide compared to stock?

Edited by jamqdlaty

6 minutes ago, jamqdlaty said:

Another unrelated question. There is a "SciencePack" inside of  "ExpPack". It includes a lot of science parts. Are they balanced in any way? So far I avoided using these, because it feels like cheating. Currently I literally have more of  these parts available than stock science experiments parts.  Does it do anything besides making science easier, letting me unlock stuff faster? Do you maybe have some recommended  science % value to set in difficulty when using the mod? How much science does it provide compared to stock?

They are science parts.  They are balanced against stock.  Just that there are more of them.  Great if you use CTT and need more science experiments.

6 hours ago, jamqdlaty said:

Try them out, they are fun.

KoS

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I've been trying to use the USI mods recently, but yet can't seem to get a recent install. This is due to the Github pages not working, or all mods being outdated. I've tried the Umbra Space Industries website, and the mods don't work for me there either. If anybody could link a (hopefully) working page to download the mods, that'd be awesome! Thank you for your attention and possibly co-operation.

• 2 months later...

Love USI. Been using the whole Constellation since I discovered USI-LS and it hit the niche I wanted.

I am experiencing a texture issue however with several parts. Most of them are negligible (such as the in-line SAS), as UNSTABLE means unstable. My reason for writing is if there is a way I can restore textures to the Packrat seat. I have big plans for this rover, but regardless of installed UNSTABLE or PRE-RELEASE versions, I still get a white seat. In the .cfg, I see it points to a texture that appears to be in Assets folder and there is a .dds file there. Looking in older versions of the mod does not seem to bring up a different file that I could see.

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions on restoring this awesome rover to textured glory, I'd appreciate it. Perhaps if I download an old version of the Exploration Pack by itself and look for the file?

22 minutes ago, USKnight said:

Love USI. Been using the whole Constellation since I discovered USI-LS and it hit the niche I wanted.

I am experiencing a texture issue however with several parts. Most of them are negligible (such as the in-line SAS), as UNSTABLE means unstable. My reason for writing is if there is a way I can restore textures to the Packrat seat. I have big plans for this rover, but regardless of installed UNSTABLE or PRE-RELEASE versions, I still get a white seat. In the .cfg, I see it points to a texture that appears to be in Assets folder and there is a .dds file there. Looking in older versions of the mod does not seem to bring up a different file that I could see.

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions on restoring this awesome rover to textured glory, I'd appreciate it. Perhaps if I download an old version of the Exploration Pack by itself and look for the file?

Try on a clean install with the latest constellation.

Thank you for your prompt reply @RoverDude. I appreciate your advice and spent most of this evening re-installing and re-modding my KSP. The Packrat seat is still white and at this point I will concede defeat.

Perhaps this is simply a case of mod incompatibility with some other mod I use. An example would be my efforts to use KSPI-E, but finding that it seems to hate probes with in-built solar panels (i.e. every probe from Bluedog). As making rockets with historical-like American parts is my priority, I had to give up on KSPI-E.  In USI's case, 99% of the parts are textured in my game. I'll make due without the Packrat seat and see what I can engineer using the rest of this great rover.

Mods are always use at your own risk. Thanks again for the suggestion.

• 3 months later...

Version 112.0.1 of the USI Exploration Pack has been released, and the thread has been updated to reflect the updated download location and KSP version supported.  CKAN should also be catching up for those of you who use it.  You can also nab the latest release here:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExplorationPack/releases

This is pretty much what was in the bleeding edge releases for 1.11, plus a few small tweaks.  Barring any major issues, this is likely going to be the release we stick with for the foreseeable future, as @DoktorKrogg and I are both neck deep in a new indie game we're both working on :)  

So while we're totally still around and active in the forums and on the USI discord, I would not anticipate any major new USI releases, at least in the short term, though there are still a few major things we both want to knock out (including updating all of the wheels, and some other large system changes).

Lastly, a couple of handy links.  First, the discord server for all things USI (though this also covers our new game as well), and a reminder that I'll be doing a bunch of streaming around game dev (mostly the art side, so Blender, Substance, Unity, etc.). though it's going to be exclusively work on the new game, vs KSP stuff.  

Discord:  https://discord.gg/FNBwUXRgX8

Twitch:  https://www.twitch.tv/RoverDude

Enjoy!  And make sure to let us know if any bees got into the build process.  If so, we'll do a fast follower in a week or two if necessary to update the releases.

On 5/30/2022 at 3:22 AM, RoverDude said:

Version 112.0.1 of the USI Exploration Pack has been released, and the thread has been updated to reflect the updated download location and KSP version supported.  CKAN should also be catching up for those of you who use it.  You can also nab the latest release here:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExplorationPack/releases

This is pretty much what was in the bleeding edge releases for 1.11, plus a few small tweaks.  Barring any major issues, this is likely going to be the release we stick with for the foreseeable future, as @DoktorKrogg and I are both neck deep in a new indie game we're both working on :) 

Enjoy!  And make sure to let us know if any bees got into the build process.  If so, we'll do a fast follower in a week or two if necessary to update the releases.

Hey @RoverDude and @DoktorKrogg

Thanks for your great work!

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but where can I find a full changelog?

I have an ongoing JNSQ (+Kerbalism) game and want to check, if it is save to update.

Edited by N3N

3 hours ago, alphaprior said:

RatRack Rover is upodated with new parts.
The older version is invalid now, not a problem but is there any screenshots of new RatRack rover?
I don't know how to build one properly, where parts go etc.

You can combine it in different ways, here's one example to get you started. 

There seems to be a small issue with the "Environmental Scanner" experiment in the latest release. There is no option to log the data, in all situations:

TM31ILM.png

Trying to fix the issue, it seems there is something wrong with the experiment definition itself, if I replace it with another one the "log data" button is available again. I wasn't able to find the problem though. This was tested on a bare-bones install, with only USI (different install from where the picture was taken, but the issue persists).

On 6/7/2022 at 3:26 PM, KawaiiLucy said:

There seems to be a small issue with the "Environmental Scanner" experiment in the latest release. There is no option to log the data, in all situations:

TM31ILM.png

Trying to fix the issue, it seems there is something wrong with the experiment definition itself, if I replace it with another one the "log data" button is available again. I wasn't able to find the problem though. This was tested on a bare-bones install, with only USI (different install from where the picture was taken, but the issue persists).

There is small a syntax error in the experiment configs, which I fixed a while ago but it has not yet been accepted into the repository - you can find the change in my PR here. That should fix your problem.

On 2/24/2022 at 1:44 PM, RoverDude said:

Try on a clean install with the latest constellation.

@RoverDudeThere is definitely something wrong with some of the textures from the new version. I downloaded and installed the ExpPack from version 1.4.0.0 and the command seat no longer shows up white. I had previously tried the full constellation for 112.0.1 (as well as the first prerelease, assuming the intermittent prereleases would have the same issues) and just the ExpPack downloaded individually (both on a clean install) and in all cases the texture was missing. This is also happening with the "Ballute - 2.5m " part, just as an FYI. There may be others but that's all I've unlocked so far in my current playthrough. I will add a ticket to the Github.

Edited by VelRahnKoon

@RoverDude

I found the root cause of the issue with the missing textures! I was looking through my player.log file and found this line:

Texture 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExpPack/PackRat/Assets/model000' not found! 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

I opened the 1.4.0.0 build and copied (the model.mu and don't need it, works without) the model000.dds into the directory above and the texture loads properly!

I'm not a programmer by any stretch, so I have no idea how to fix this properly or even how to go about locating what file is calling for the model000 file. Anyone have any ideas so we can submit a pull request?

Edited by VelRahnKoon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.