Jump to content

[1.11.x] USI Exploration Pack - Small parts, big adventure! [v 0.6.0]


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, whitespacekilla said:

I'm finding quite a few USI mods, Exploration Pack and ART among them, that still use the old USI modules (i.e. ModuleResourceConverter_USI). So far as I know, these are "no-op" modules since the February 5th release of USI Tools.

I have an open pull request with a generic patch to update some things that use the old modules.  It only handles life support and it's not meant as a long-term solution (the parts' own configs still ought to be updated), but it might help.  Here's a direct link to the MM patch if you want to give it a try.

Edited by Wyzard
Fixed patch link to include a typo fix
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Wyzard thanks. I'll take a look. I've also forked ART and uploaded a release. I need to test it then I'll submit a PR. https://github.com/marr75/ART/releases

@Wyzard what's odd to me is that there's no activity, no acknowledgement of the issues, no conversation on the PRs, etc. There's even some commits in the ART repo which would might fix the problem that just aren't released. Is the USI eco-system dead? Minimal support? Wouldn't it be useful to mention that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whitespacekilla said:

Is the USI eco-system dead? Minimal support?

Well, @RoverDude still checks the forum (and see this recent thread), and there was an announcement a few months ago about an upcoming MKS release with major new features in the works.  So USI isn't really dead.  But it does appear that way sometimes.

(As for "wouldn't it be useful to mention that", I'm not really the one to ask.  I'm not part of the "USI team", just a user who occasionally contributes patches and small improvements.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know, just kind of venting. I've gotten bored of mods I published before and just not kept up when there were major external changes that broke them but the breaking changes were internal here and fairly easy to fix (an MM patch from someone outside of the team can take care of them, they would have been trivial to fix in February when the breaking changes were bundled in with ART/Exploration Pack).

 

Your patch works great, btw, and the comments and steps help to understand all of the changes I was trying to work out for more modules than I was even looking at. Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

@RoverDude I thought you were busy with the DLC and that's why the USI Constellation hadn't been updated. I was finally able to get Breaking Ground yesterday so I am just now exploring things. If it is not covered by a NDA, what did you work on in this latest expansion pack?

I have been missing all of your wonderful mods so I look forward to when you will be able to get them updated for the current release--the fact that your day job of developing for the game kept you busy is quite understandable and you improving the game is quite worth my having to wait for a USI update.. The USI constellation is usually one of my "must-have" sets of mods.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, thesmokindeist said:

@RoverDude I thought you were busy with the DLC and that's why the USI Constellation hadn't been updated. I was finally able to get Breaking Ground yesterday so I am just now exploring things. If it is not covered by a NDA, what did you work on in this latest expansion pack?

I have been missing all of your wonderful mods so I look forward to when you will be able to get them updated for the current release--the fact that your day job of developing for the game kept you busy is quite understandable and you improving the game is quite worth my having to wait for a USI update.. The USI constellation is usually one of my "must-have" sets of mods.

They all work in the current release FYI.  The only areas with some potential issues are things that rely on KIS/KAS due to the major changes to those mods recently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 9:31 AM, goldenpsp said:

They all work in the current release FYI.  The only areas with some potential issues are things that rely on KIS/KAS due to the major changes to those mods recently.

I think that KAS has been updated but not sure if KIS was updated as well. But that's good to hear.I should grab the constellation and start adding things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thesmokindeist said:

I think that KAS has been updated but not sure if KIS was updated as well. But that's good to hear.I should grab the constellation and start adding things.

It's not that they were updated.  There were very serious breaking changes made to KAS in particular, the biggest being the removal of the old kas pipes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, thesmokindeist said:

Cool, I see the individual mods are done but the big USI Constellation has yet to be updated.

The big constellation release isn't always a thing.  If you look there have only been 6 constellation releases total, and they don't always coincide with the individual mod releases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

 

16 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Yes.

Yes.

In these parts.

Thanks, though i have a bit of a "bug" to report

when you open airbags (or flotation devices) that are in symmetry  and re-place it with symmetry on the craft so that they are all open, the other ones(other then the one you opened) will act as if they are deflated which means that if you try to deflate one of the airbags it won't work, or even worse, if you pick the wrong one you will have an airbag that cannot be deflated,

 

also when i launch a craft the bags always start  inflated even though they were deflated in the VAB

and the airbags never seem to work for me

Edited by moguy16
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2020 at 2:16 AM, moguy16 said:

 

Thanks, though i have a bit of a "bug" to report

when you open airbags (or flotation devices) that are in symmetry  and re-place it with symmetry on the craft so that they are all open, the other ones(other then the one you opened) will act as if they are deflated which means that if you try to deflate one of the airbags it won't work, or even worse, if you pick the wrong one you will have an airbag that cannot be deflated,

 

also when i launch a craft the bags always start  inflated even though they were deflated in the VAB

and the airbags never seem to work for me

For airbags, I've gotten in the habit of replacing them after I mess with the inflate/deflate in the VAB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

For airbags, I've gotten in the habit of replacing them after I mess with the inflate/deflate in the VAB.

Yeah i am doing that too, but i don't think that is a very efficient,, maybe you can make it the same way solar panels extend/retract or is there something i am not aware of that doesn't allow that?

Edited by moguy16
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have my RCS/Docking keys set like EVA controls, and I noticed that no matter how I place the AES RCS module, the controls are always screwy. 

Am I doing something wrong, or do those just work differently than ship RCS?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 3:54 AM, Smurfalot said:

I have my RCS/Docking keys set like EVA controls, and I noticed that no matter how I place the AES RCS module, the controls are always screwy. 

Am I doing something wrong, or do those just work differently than ship RCS?

tbh it's probably something I have to fix.  A lot of these parts need a bit of TLC.

 

Speaking of which - I have been spending some quality time with the Packrat Rover that's in this pack. and it is absolutely amazing stuff now :D  Here's a sampling from the changelog:

  • The Packrat seat now has a crew capacity so it can be loaded in the VAB.
  • The Packrat FRONT Chassis has a new bottom attachment node that you can use to snap onto a KAS concrete block as a starting point for KIS/KAS assembly
  • Added some additional nodes to the Packrat to ease assembly with KAS/KIS (no more having to rotate - just cycle through nodes!)
  • Packrats got easier to... pack?  You can now squeeze the Packrat into a pair of KIS SC-62 Containers.
  • Packrat part masses have been normalized to facilitate balanced KIS packing accross two radial containers.
  • The Packrat has had it's stability dramatically increased.  Parts also have a higher mass.
  • The Packrat built in RTG got a power boost to account for the mass increase and resource consumption.

 

The handling is absolutely amazing (since it's a set piece with a single configuration, I have a wider array of tricks).  Hugs the ground like a carpet, even at high speed - and if you can slam it enough to get it up on two wheels it almost always drops back on all fours.  Catching air on the mun at the moment and it's probably the funnest thing on four wheels I have played with in KSP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RoverDude said:

tbh it's probably something I have to fix.  A lot of these parts need a bit of TLC.

 

Speaking of which - I have been spending some quality time with the Packrat Rover that's in this pack. and it is absolutely amazing stuff now :D  Here's a sampling from the changelog:

  • The Packrat seat now has a crew capacity so it can be loaded in the VAB.
  • The Packrat FRONT Chassis has a new bottom attachment node that you can use to snap onto a KAS concrete block as a starting point for KIS/KAS assembly
  • Added some additional nodes to the Packrat to ease assembly with KAS/KIS (no more having to rotate - just cycle through nodes!)
  • Packrats got easier to... pack?  You can now squeeze the Packrat into a pair of KIS SC-62 Containers.
  • Packrat part masses have been normalized to facilitate balanced KIS packing accross two radial containers.
  • The Packrat has had it's stability dramatically increased.  Parts also have a higher mass.
  • The Packrat built in RTG got a power boost to account for the mass increase and resource consumption.

 

The handling is absolutely amazing (since it's a set piece with a single configuration, I have a wider array of tricks).  Hugs the ground like a carpet, even at high speed - and if you can slam it enough to get it up on two wheels it almost always drops back on all fours.  Catching air on the mun at the moment and it's probably the funnest thing on four wheels I have played with in KSP.

No big rush, just an observation.

Wow, that sounds awesome, I always loved the packrat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...