Jump to content

[1.11.x] USI Exploration Pack - Small parts, big adventure! [v 0.6.0]


Recommended Posts

On 6/12/2020 at 6:41 PM, RoverDude said:

tbh it's probably something I have to fix.  A lot of these parts need a bit of TLC.

Speaking of which - I have been spending some quality time with the Packrat Rover that's in this pack. and it is absolutely amazing stuff now :D  Here's a sampling from the changelog:

  • The Packrat seat now has a crew capacity so it can be loaded in the VAB.
  • The Packrat FRONT Chassis has a new bottom attachment node that you can use to snap onto a KAS concrete block as a starting point for KIS/KAS assembly
  • Added some additional nodes to the Packrat to ease assembly with KAS/KIS (no more having to rotate - just cycle through nodes!)
  • Packrats got easier to... pack?  You can now squeeze the Packrat into a pair of KIS SC-62 Containers.
  • Packrat part masses have been normalized to facilitate balanced KIS packing accross two radial containers.
  • The Packrat has had it's stability dramatically increased.  Parts also have a higher mass.
  • The Packrat built in RTG got a power boost to account for the mass increase and resource consumption.

The handling is absolutely amazing (since it's a set piece with a single configuration, I have a wider array of tricks).  Hugs the ground like a carpet, even at high speed - and if you can slam it enough to get it up on two wheels it almost always drops back on all fours.  Catching air on the mun at the moment and it's probably the funnest thing on four wheels I have played with in KSP.

I took too long a break from KSP. Even tho I am some months late to comment, this is awesome news!

Like so many others, I look forward to your latest efforts, RoverDude. Thank you for the incredible mods that you have created for the community.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

i loved this mod, and wanted to use it with the 1.10.x... it works, but with problems... for example the Derp escape pod has a weird parachute... it is deployable, but not go out normally... it is like "horizontal" to the pod...

(sorry, my english is bad... i hope to be clear)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kerbinidiel said:

i loved this mod, and wanted to use it with the 1.10.x... it works, but with problems... for example the Derp escape pod has a weird parachute... it is deployable, but not go out normally... it is like "horizontal" to the pod...

(sorry, my english is bad... i hope to be clear)

If I recall that's been an issue with the Derp  parachute for a fairly long time.  Not a 1.10 specific issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I experienced that problem as well. Career 1.10. It was a while ago but IIRC the packrat wheel showed up as a light instead or something. I believe it's a compatibility issue with ReStock.

You can try this "fix" but I'm not sure it really works, as it loads but is still missing some suspensionPivot and transform objects and I haven't tested if it actually works correctly when deployed or not:

[LOG 17:43:07.646] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExpPack/PackRat/MiniWheel/MiniWheel/PackRat_MiniWheel'
[ERR 17:43:07.648] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Squad/Parts/Wheel/roverWheelM1/model' as model does not exist
[ERR 17:43:07.649] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly
[ERR 17:43:07.649] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model
[ERR 17:43:07.650] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Changed in: GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExpPack/PackRat/MiniWheel/MiniWheel.cfg

changed model definition from:
model = Squad/Parts/Wheel/roverWheelM1/model

changed to:
model:NEEDS[!ReStock] = Squad/Parts/Wheel/roverWheelM1/model
model:NEEDS[ReStock] = ReStock/Assets/Ground/restock-wheel-2

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

I experienced that problem as well. Career 1.10. It was a while ago but IIRC the packrat wheel showed up as a light instead or something. I believe it's a compatibility issue with ReStock.

You can try this "fix" but I'm not sure it really works, as it loads but is still missing some suspensionPivot and transform objects and I haven't tested if it actually works correctly when deployed or not:

[LOG 17:43:07.646] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExpPack/PackRat/MiniWheel/MiniWheel/PackRat_MiniWheel'
[ERR 17:43:07.648] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Squad/Parts/Wheel/roverWheelM1/model' as model does not exist
[ERR 17:43:07.649] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly
[ERR 17:43:07.649] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model
[ERR 17:43:07.650] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Changed in: GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExpPack/PackRat/MiniWheel/MiniWheel.cfg

changed model definition from:
model = Squad/Parts/Wheel/roverWheelM1/model

changed to:
model:NEEDS[!ReStock] = Squad/Parts/Wheel/roverWheelM1/model
model:NEEDS[ReStock] = ReStock/Assets/Ground/restock-wheel-2

Well given I have been happily using the Packrat in a 1.10 save - this looks like a restock mod conflict.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Yeah, if the Packrat wheels reference the Vanilla wheel part then it will be an issue. I'll look into it this weekend and offer a whitelist solution as a PR.

Excellent.  I am happy to take it as a pull request or it can be a restock config thing, whatever works best.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Excellent.  I am happy to take it as a pull request or it can be a restock config thing, whatever works best.  

that would explain why i'm not seeing any parts that require squad textures.... i'll bring this up in restock+ but is there a way to load the squad textures and restock plus at the same time but have restock overwrite the stock textures after all other mods have copied from them? or am i making mountains out of moehills.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AntiMatter001 said:

that would explain why i'm not seeing any parts that require squad textures.... i'll bring this up in restock+ but is there a way to load the squad textures and restock plus at the same time but have restock overwrite the stock textures after all other mods have copied from them? or am i making mountains out of moehills.

ReStock unloads a lot of the stock models in order to save on memory, since it replaces them with more detailed ones. So there are basically only two real approaches, afaik - either adding the relevant stock model to the whitelist for ReStock (so that it doesn't get excluded from loading at game start) or having the mod in question use the alternate ReStock model if the ReStock mod is detected (can be done using a syntax like in my previous post above but this needs a change to the mod in question).

In this particular case, I've had some (possibly minor) issues with the second approach, so the whitelist approach may be preferable - needs more testing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grimmas said:

ReStock unloads a lot of the stock models in order to save on memory, since it replaces them with more detailed ones. So there are basically only two real approaches, afaik - either adding the relevant stock model to the whitelist for ReStock (so that it doesn't get excluded from loading at game start) or having the mod in question use the alternate ReStock model if the ReStock mod is detected (can be done using a syntax like in my previous post above but this needs a change to the mod in question).

In this particular case, I've had some (possibly minor) issues with the second approach, so the whitelist approach may be preferable - needs more testing.

what would i need to whitelist to load up the stock texture and would that over-write the restock texture currently on the rover wheels?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Excellent.  I am happy to take it as a pull request or it can be a restock config thing, whatever works best.  

Done, submitted a PR with the simple whitelist file to the Development branch. ReStock prefers to let the other mods house their own whitelist files as then the mod author or any other contributor can add to it as they develop.. but the ReStock team is happy to help out catching these changes where we can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Poodmund said:

Done, submitted a PR with the simple whitelist file to the Development branch. ReStock prefers to let the other mods house their own whitelist files as then the mod author or any other contributor can add to it as they develop.. but the ReStock team is happy to help out catching these changes where we can.

just curious but would it be possible to give the Restock model to the miniwheel with no adverse effects? (reading the Restock wiki currently and seeing some hints to let mods use the models)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2020 at 12:10 PM, RoverDude said:

Excellent.  I am happy to take it as a pull request or it can be a restock config thing, whatever works best.  

Just to follow up on this again, for reference, I've just been through all of the USI mod's DEVELOP branches and rechecked all instances of SQUAD assets. All were already taken care of in their respective mods except for this Packrat wheel so it looks like everyone is on the ball already. :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Done, submitted a PR with the simple whitelist file to the Development branch. ReStock prefers to let the other mods house their own whitelist files as then the mod author or any other contributor can add to it as they develop.. but the ReStock team is happy to help out catching these changes where we can.

While we have your attention, could you also kindly consider doing ReStock whitelist PR for USI KarbonitePlus (TriBitDrill used by ORE_Drill) and USI FTT (advancedSasModuleLarge and dockingPortSr used by FTT_SAS_500)?

Edit: missed the last post above so if these are already in the develop branches then please ignore this.

Edited by Grimmas
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grimmas said:

While we have your attention, could you also kindly consider doing ReStock whitelist PR for USI KarbonitePlus (TriBitDrill used by ORE_Drill) and USI FTT (advancedSasModuleLarge and dockingPortSr used by FTT_SAS_500)?

https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite/pull/276 and https://github.com/BobPalmer/FTT/pull/194 ... like I said, everything has been taken care of for all USI mods once the recently submitted Exploration Pack pull request is merged. RoverDude has merged all of these other ones already into his mod repos so please wait patiently, the next releases will contain all the necessary changes in this regard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jonney5 said:

Is there any chance of a MM patch for the packrat parts to allow to allow them to be stored in the new stock cargo containers?

Funny you should ask...  I'll be going through all of the USI mods and moving from KIS/KAS into the stock system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

So, I'm having an issue trying to find the small fan from this modpack. Other USI mod fans? Got those. But only down to medium size. File missing on the CKAN version, or am I just being blind? It's even not showing up in a search. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently playing in sandbox, which is why I'm so confused. Nothing locked behind research. Can't see it in the parts list in either VAB or SPH.  Tried a couple things to see if I was being blind, but search isn't finding it, nor using Janitors Closet to filter to USI parts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...