[1.12.x] USI Exploration Pack - Small parts, big adventure! [v 0.6.0]

RoverDude

Fans were probably reversed because we finally fixed the orientation issue. Not sure why you'd have that issue, but I will take a look

I can provide the craft files if they help.

I should be going to bed (gotta be up at 0630) but I'm playing with the MKS modules. Had what I think was a good idea. You're excellent mods may turn me into a modder.

I can provide the craft files if they help.

I should be going to bed (gotta be up at 0630) but I'm playing with the MKS modules. Had what I think was a good idea. You're excellent mods may turn me into a modder.

Awesome :) And let me know how things work out for you

Dude, your mods are great! thanks! i really enjoy it, and i hope u will make smth like that, but for rovers. RackRat is awesome, but i want a little more. Keep it up)

What more do you wish to have? ;)

Can you help me i keep getting this error upon loading NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object it's referencing loading the umbraspaceindustries mods

As noted in other thread, usually a bad install.

My recommendation is to start with a clean KSP (just back up your stuff) and start with the USI bits then go from there re-adding things in.

Hey. Loving the addition to gameplay with all the USI parts. However, I can't get a ratpack assembled out of the crates. When I try to attach the front end to the ground pylon it ALWAYS puts the part on upside down. Any pointers? Thanks.

SC

use B and N to roate the part before it's attached, then use Alt B and Alt N to rotate it the other way

I think I found a bug.

http://imgur.com/a/FScHK

USI Exploration pack's manned command pods (all 3 of them) seem to suffer from some confusion when the command pod is not the root-part. In my screenshots, the root part is the probe-core (to which the front girder-leg attaches to).

confirm i placed 2 of them one to ech other and both had same IVA

Yep, aware of this. On my list :)

Awesome. By the way, I love the mod.

If I might be so bold, there's a feature suggestion I like to offer in case the idea hasn't been considered yet: Give the ducted fans action-group options for "toggle hover" (locking you to a radar altitude), and "increase height" and "decrease height".

B9 has a VTOL engine called the Engine_VA1 that does this, and I love it, but I'm pretty sure that hover functionality came from Firespitter, which is already a dependency for USI Exploration. Or at least I see such functionality noted in this Firespitter document. As best as I can tell, the hover function works by rapidly turning on/off the engine depending on your height relative to the target height (since it doesn't appear to work via throttling).

Just an idea… maybe not a great one. It might cause me to crash fewer craft using those ducted engines though.

Awesome. By the way, I love the mod.

If I might be so bold, there's a feature suggestion I like to offer in case the idea hasn't been considered yet: Give the ducted fans action-group options for "toggle hover" (locking you to a radar altitude), and "increase height" and "decrease height".

B9 has a VTOL engine called the Engine_VA1 that does this, and I love it, but I'm pretty sure that hover functionality came from Firespitter, which is already a dependency for USI Exploration. Or at least I see such functionality noted in this Firespitter document. As best as I can tell, the hover function works by rapidly turning on/off the engine depending on your height relative to the target height (since it doesn't appear to work via throttling).

Just an idea… maybe not a great one. It might cause me to crash fewer craft using those ducted engines though.

From the last update announcement a few pages back

0.2.1 is up!

Download via the USI Catalog Page. All USI mods are updated at once, so for your convenience there is also an all-in-one pack on DropBox that includes all of the goodness in one package.

• Synced ORSX/CRP changes
  • Added the HERP command bubble and Jumpseat pods!
  • FAR/NEAR support
  • Engine tweaks for the ducted fan engines
  • DRE support
  • ATM support
  • Better packrat wheels!
  • FireSpitter Hover Mode!
  • Corrected model for ducted fan (transform issues)
  • Switched to latest USI DLLs
  • Switched to ORSX and new CRP
  • The PackRat has been adjusted again - be careful, old ones may have bees.
  • Updated RDS cage (3.75m) with matching fairings
  • Ducted fans have attachment nodes and should play symmetry better

Trying to understand how to best utilize the fan motors. It is stated that they are tied to the RCS system. Does that mean I should turn RCS on as I fly? Do the engines increase or decrease their thrust in order to keep me at my desired attitude?

Trying to understand how to best utilize the fan motors. It is stated that they are tied to the RCS system. Does that mean I should turn RCS on as I fly? Do the engines increase or decrease their thrust in order to keep me at my desired attitude?

Yes, turn on RCS. They will make you have one shockingly nimble little ship.

Do I have to activate any thing on the motor themselves? Will I see thrust values changing as the motor makes RCS compensations?

Nope - you still use the engines as thrust if you want - the RCS is separate. Think of a regular engine with RCS blocks attached. Now smash that into one part. Same thing :)

So I grabbed this and am experimenting with the fans. I'm trying to make something that I've been trying to make for a long time, but I need to know if it'll work.

1) does this fly on Duna/Eve?

2) when it comes to hovering/motion; how do I keep it from flipping around? I've got it set up perfectly symmetrical (4x) and it loves to veer off and flip around like a top at random.

3) Is RCS REQUIRED to be active for it to do things?

4) ... How do I propel it forward then?

AKA: HELP! XD

[edit] Now that I figured out what I was doing wrong, the only bit I need is confirmation that it'd work on duna and/or eve. XD

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Tassyr

So I grabbed this and am experimenting with the fans. I'm trying to make something that I've been trying to make for a long time, but I need to know if it'll work.

2) when it comes to hovering/motion; how do I keep it from flipping around? I've got it set up perfectly symmetrical (4x) and it loves to veer off and flip around like a top at random.

3) Is RCS REQUIRED to be active for it to do things?

4) ... How do I propel it forward then?

AKA: HELP! XD

[edit] Now that I figured out what I was doing wrong, the only bit I need is confirmation that it'd work on duna and/or eve. XD

http://imgur.com/a/al9hf

Yes, it will work on Duna and Eve.

If an engine uses 'intake atm' instead of 'intake air', when you look at its description in the vab, it will work with any atmosphere whatever its composition.

2) when it comes to hovering/motion; how do I keep it from flipping around? I've got it set up perfectly symmetrical (4x) and it loves to veer off and flip around like a top at random

I havent updated this mod in the last 2 weeks so my judgement might be obsolete. However it seems to me your craft is very over powered. You probably need only 2 on the engines.If it flips, make sure it is balanced properly. Also flying such a craft is very hard... Akin choppers, and it takes a while to know how to fly them.

Edited by merlinux

If an engine uses 'intake atm' instead of 'intake air', when you look at its description in the vab, it will work with any atmosphere whatever its composition.

I havent updated this mod in the last 2 weeks so my judgement might be obsolete. However it seems to me your craft is very over powered. You probably need only 2 on the engines.If it flips, make sure it is balanced properly. Also flying such a craft is very hard... Akin choppers, and it takes a while to know how to fly them.

Actually I THINK I've got the hang of flying it. And yeah, I know it's stupidly overpowered but I have this thing. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. (And I have yet to attach the science and transmission suites)

Also Duna has an amazingly thing atmostphere and I want to be sure as hell that it won't just drop through to the ground like a freaking rock.

Edited by Tassyr

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.