[1.12.x] USI Exploration Pack - Small parts, big adventure! [v 0.6.0]

RoverDude

On 1/15/2016 at 0:01 AM, goldenpsp said:

You could have just watched the video I posted above for free.  But since you offered, here is my paypal link.  You didn't specify that it had to be a pretty video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A_xAg58EbY&feature=youtu.be

This was much better than your basic launchpad video.  Extremely helpful!   Payment sent.  (as promised.)

2 hours ago, mjl1966 said:

This was much better than your basic launchpad video.  Extremely helpful!   Payment sent.  (as promised.)

Haha Thanks.  I can't take credit for the launchpad video.  It wasn't mine.  I do remember when KIS came out a number of us were coming up with new ways to get the Packrat assembled, as you could no longer simply pull the pylon out like with the old KAS.  The other guy beat me to the original video, which honestly at the time was a much easier new method than I had come up with. Mine on the Mun was super quick.  My software was acting up so the video is crap, and I did it in one take, my mistakes and all.  Still I'm glad it helped.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:17 PM, goldenpsp said:

Haha Thanks.  I can't take credit for the launchpad video.  It wasn't mine.  I do remember when KIS came out a number of us were coming up with new ways to get the Packrat assembled, as you could no longer simply pull the pylon out like with the old KAS.  The other guy beat me to the original video, which honestly at the time was a much easier new method than I had come up with. Mine on the Mun was super quick.  My software was acting up so the video is crap, and I did it in one take, my mistakes and all.  Still I'm glad it helped.

Please don't feed the Goldenpsp troll ... he gets .. well ... cranky ... in after hour twitch streams ....

:D

~M~

Has anybody had problems with the HERP pod (exploration pack) and crew recovery contract? When I try to have the kerbal exit, it just says 'can;t exit, no exit hatch', but when I force it to EVA through the crew hatch that does exist, the kerbal portrait turns into the 'BAILED OUT!' text and the kerbal is spinning around somewhere and seems to have been hit by the kraken.

Edit: Don't know how to get rid of the highlighting.

edit: Nvm, it works fine after a KSP reboot, something glitched out the first time I guess.

Edited by smjjames

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2016 at 1:04 PM, Neutrinovore said:

Hey RoverDude, while if you're taking requests, any chance of fixing the IVA on the AES pod?  I'm having a major problem that makes that part unusable:  After about a minute into a flight, some props or items in the AES pod's IVA get insanely large, and clip out through the pod and any other parts that are near or surrounding it.  I don't get any explosions from intersecting colliders or anything, but visually these big slab-like things just block views and look generally fugly.  Interestingly, if I switch focus to another vessel outside physics range, or go back to the space center, and then switch back to the vessel with the AES pod, everything goes back to normal... for a few minutes anyway, then *DOINK*, the IVA internals go crazy again.  I tried removing the IVA module from the config file and replacing it with Squad's placeholder 'black void' IVA, but then it looks like the USI transparent pod module interferes, and makes all of the crew position boxes in the placeholder internal visible as opaque black boxes surrounding the AES Pod, so that's just as bad.  I then tried removing the USI transparent pod module from the part config, and now the window is still transparent but the entire pod is transparent from the inside, so again, visually the pod really isn't usable.

Whew, sorry for the long-winded explanation.  Just trying to be thorough.  :)  To recap: I'm having trouble with the IVA on the AES pod, something to do with the internal props that causes something to get really large and clip out through the pod.

Thanks for reading, and I hope this is enough information to at least point in the right direction.

Later!  :D

i'm having the same problem. it's a shame, because the AES is a great little EVA pod.

7tjkxzB.png

^ giant phantom IVA prop visible in external camera.

htDblJx.png

the prop is opaque from the other side: "omg! it's full of stars!" no, wait...

Ifv7kEl.png

^ also, giant glowing anomalous thing

20 hours ago, speedwaystar said:

i'm having the same problem. it's a shame, because the AES is a great little EVA pod.

7tjkxzB.png

^ giant phantom IVA prop visible in external camera.

htDblJx.png

the prop is opaque from the other side: "omg! it's full of stars!" no, wait...

Ifv7kEl.png

^ also, giant glowing anomalous thing

Yep, that's exactly what I get too.  Thanks for posting pics, I'm not very savvy with that kind of thing.  :)

I wanted to drive around KSC with the rover but was unable to load crew into the packrat rover seats. Since I had the Take Command Mod I figured i'd check out it's config file.

I added this line to it's config and it appears to work

@PART[PackRat_Seat]:FOR[TakeCommand]
{
    CrewCapacity = 1
    MODULE
    {
        name = TakeCommand
        minimumCrew = 1
    }
    INTERNAL
    {
          name = GenericSpace1
    }
}

Not sure if this is something you can add to your PackRat_Seat part to make it compatable out of the box, or if this is something that has to be added on the TakeCommand Mods end. EIther way I figured i'd ask because I love both these mods and would love to see them work together without users needed to edit configs.

1 hour ago, Buster Charlie said:

I wanted to drive around KSC with the rover but was unable to load crew into the packrat rover seats. Since I had the Take Command Mod I figured i'd check out it's config file.

{
    CrewCapacity = 1
    MODULE
    {
        name = TakeCommand
        minimumCrew = 1
    }
    INTERNAL
    {
          name = GenericSpace1
    }
}

Not sure if this is something you can add to your PackRat_Seat part to make it compatable out of the box, or if this is something that has to be added on the TakeCommand Mods end. EIther way I figured i'd ask because I love both these mods and would love to see them work together without users needed to edit configs.

Roverdude takes Pull requests.

1 minute ago, Buster Charlie said:

I don't know how this stuff works with github, I didn't want to liquid anyone off ;(

I didnt either.  At one point I decided to take a little time and did some pull requests for some USI mods.

1. It helps out Roverdude

2. It was fun to learn how to do.

3. It felt very cool to have a piece of your own work (however small) be a part of these cool mods.

If you have any interest feel free to reach out and I'd be happy to help.

13 hours ago, Buster Charlie said:

{
    CrewCapacity = 1
    MODULE
    {
        name = TakeCommand
        minimumCrew = 1
    }
    INTERNAL
    {
          name = GenericSpace1
    }
}

There's a config addition that's been proposed a couple of times in the TakeCommand thread that would automatically do this, by automatically adding the module to every KerbalSeat.  It'd probably be a good idea to promote that solution.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2016 at 6:46 PM, Neutrinovore said:

Yep, that's exactly what I get too.  Thanks for posting pics, I'm not very savvy with that kind of thing.  :)

I am having the same issue with this pod.  I tried a fresh install of KSP with nothing but this mod and its dependencies installed and the problem, while slightly less annoying, still persists.  The giant external things is coming from another mod, but the underlying issue is a bug with this pod I think...?

EDIT:Never mind, I am seeing things... Still messing up, but I cant seem to find anything that could be causing the issue.

A little more info for RoverDude, maybe helpful maybe not...  Anyway, doing some more testing with the debug panel up, the things in the cockpit get all glitchy when the message "[Log]: [AsteroidSpawner]: No new objects this time. (Odds are 1:2)" pops up in the debug log.  I have no idea how the things are connected, but they somehow are??

Edited by gtmattz

Until recently I could build a pack rat rover  by attaching a ground pylon to the ground attaching a front chassis to the pylon, rear chassis to the front chassis, 4 wheels to the chassis & then removing the pylon. Now I can't remove the pylon. Is USI Exploration broken or is the error in KIS?

3 hours ago, Nicholiathan said:

Until recently I could build a pack rat rover  by attaching a ground pylon to the ground attaching a front chassis to the pylon, rear chassis to the front chassis, 4 wheels to the chassis & then removing the pylon. Now I can't remove the pylon. Is USI Exploration broken or is the error in KIS?

I would question your definition of "recently" unless you only recently upgraded your mods.  This method of assembling the packrat ceased to work ever since KIS was released.

7 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

I would question your definition of "recently" unless you only recently upgraded your mods.  This method of assembling the packrat ceased to work ever since KIS was released.

I did this last week with the latest USI versions and the version of KIS/KAS that was released right after 1.0.5 came out.  I just did the KIS/KAS updates that came out a few days ago, but haven't tried doing a packrat rover since then.

You build off the Pylon base, then use the detach -- rather than pickup -- method to separate the rover from the pylon base.

7 minutes ago, mcortez said:

I did this last week with the latest USI versions and the version of KIS/KAS that was released right after 1.0.5 came out.  I just did the KIS/KAS updates that came out a few days ago, but haven't tried doing a packrat rover since then.

You build off the Pylon base, then use the detach -- rather than pickup -- method to separate the rover from the pylon base.

Well maybe newer versions of KIS addressed this, but the pylon issue reared it's ugly head as soon as KIS was released last march.  As soon as KIS was released we all ran into this packrat issue and there was a race for a new method.  I've never tried the pylon method since.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KSP 1.0.5 32-bit, Win7 64-bit, Exploration Pack 0.4.5.0.  All other mods:

Spoiler

KSP: 1.0.5 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit
USI Tools - 0.6.3
Chatterer - 0.9.7.86
ChuteSafetyIndicator - 1.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.4.9
Contract Configurator - 1.9.9
CC-CP-SCANSat - 0.6
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.2
CapCom Mission Control On The Go - 1.0.2
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.6.1
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.0.2
Engine Lighting - 1.4.1
Firespitter - 7.1.5
GCMonitor - 1.3.2
HeatControl - 0.2.1
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 1.18
RasterPropMonitor - 0.24.2
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.5
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.0.19.4
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.5
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5
Infernal Robots - 0.21.4
NavHud - 1.2.1
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.2
NearFutureConstruction - 0.5.5
NearFutureElectrical - 0.6.2
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.4.4
Final Frontier - 0.9.8.1882
S.A.V.E - 1.2.4.1314
Olympic1's Icon Packs - 0.8
PlanetShine - 0.2.4.2
QuickScroll - 1.3.2
QuickSearch - 1.2.1
RCS Build Aid - 0.7.7
AmpYear - 1.2
SCANsat - 1.1.4.9
TarsierSpaceTechnology - 5.8
TextureReplacer - 2.4.12
Trajectories - 1.4.5
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.5
Alternate Resource Panel - 2.7.4
Transfer Window Planner - 1.4
USI Core - 0.1.8
Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.7.2
USI Exploration Pack - 0.4.5
Freight Transport Tech - 0.4.5
Karbonite - 0.6.8
Karbonite Plus - 0.5.3
Karibou - 0.1.3
Kolonization Core - 0.1.10
USI-LS - 0.3.15
Sounding Rockets - 0.3.4
USI Survivability Pack - 0.3.3
UKS - 0.33.9
Universal Storage - 1.1.0.8
Waypoint Manager - 2.4.5
[x] Science! - 4.14

I've been running into KSP sessions that just won't load completely and hang up.  In an attempt to track it down I'm looking in the output log and I'm getting the following entries:

Spoiler

Load(Model): UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExpPack/AES/Spaces/AES_Internal

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

File error:
Failed to read past end of stream.
  at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadByte () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.BinaryReader.Read7BitEncodedInt () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadString () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A.EBTEOT.ReadTextures (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.GameObject o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A.EBTEOT.ReadChild (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.Transform parent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A.EBTEOT.BEL (.UrlFile SOH) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Model load error in 'D:\Program Files\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\ExpPack\AES\Spaces\AES_Internal.mu'

Full log here.  The EBTEOT, BEL and SOH characters actually appear as white text on a black background; I have no idea if this is normal.

Is this a problem that needs to be resolved?

4 hours ago, Brigadier said:

KSP 1.0.5 32-bit, Win7 64-bit, Exploration Pack 0.4.5.0.  All other mods:

Reveal hidden contents

KSP: 1.0.5 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit
USI Tools - 0.6.3
Chatterer - 0.9.7.86
ChuteSafetyIndicator - 1.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.4.9
Contract Configurator - 1.9.9
CC-CP-SCANSat - 0.6
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.2
CapCom Mission Control On The Go - 1.0.2
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.6.1
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.0.2
Engine Lighting - 1.4.1
Firespitter - 7.1.5
GCMonitor - 1.3.2
HeatControl - 0.2.1
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 1.18
RasterPropMonitor - 0.24.2
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.5
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.0.19.4
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.5
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5
Infernal Robots - 0.21.4
NavHud - 1.2.1
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.2
NearFutureConstruction - 0.5.5
NearFutureElectrical - 0.6.2
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.4.4
Final Frontier - 0.9.8.1882
S.A.V.E - 1.2.4.1314
Olympic1's Icon Packs - 0.8
PlanetShine - 0.2.4.2
QuickScroll - 1.3.2
QuickSearch - 1.2.1
RCS Build Aid - 0.7.7
AmpYear - 1.2
SCANsat - 1.1.4.9
TarsierSpaceTechnology - 5.8
TextureReplacer - 2.4.12
Trajectories - 1.4.5
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.5
Alternate Resource Panel - 2.7.4
Transfer Window Planner - 1.4
USI Core - 0.1.8
Asteroid Recycling Tech - 0.7.2
USI Exploration Pack - 0.4.5
Freight Transport Tech - 0.4.5
Karbonite - 0.6.8
Karbonite Plus - 0.5.3
Karibou - 0.1.3
Kolonization Core - 0.1.10
USI-LS - 0.3.15
Sounding Rockets - 0.3.4
USI Survivability Pack - 0.3.3
UKS - 0.33.9
Universal Storage - 1.1.0.8
Waypoint Manager - 2.4.5
[x] Science! - 4.14

I've been running into KSP sessions that just won't load completely and hang up.  In an attempt to track it down I'm looking in the output log and I'm getting the following entries:

Reveal hidden contents

Load(Model): UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExpPack/AES/Spaces/AES_Internal

File error:
Failed to read past end of stream.
  at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadByte () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.BinaryReader.Read7BitEncodedInt () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadString () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A.EBTEOT.ReadTextures (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.GameObject o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A.EBTEOT.ReadChild (System.IO.BinaryReader br, UnityEngine.Transform parent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at A.EBTEOT.BEL (.UrlFile SOH) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Model load error in 'D:\Program Files\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\ExpPack\AES\Spaces\AES_Internal.mu'

Full log here.  The EBTEOT, BEL and SOH characters actually appear as white text on a black background; I have no idea if this is normal.

Is this a problem that needs to be resolved?

What's your RAM usage.  With that mod list you may be hitting the 32 bit memory wall.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.