[1.12.x] USI Exploration Pack - Small parts, big adventure! [v 0.6.0]

RoverDude

Hi! love the mod. On the Rover...the rover's wheels are showing up without any texture (they're just grey as if they were unskinned models)  and their behavior is strange - can't get them to attach on both sides of the rover frame at the same time. I'm not sure how long this has been happening since I just downloaded the Mod recently and just got Rover tech.

I've tried reinstalling the mod. Also noted that an update came out today, but that didn't fix it. Let me know if you want me to send you any files/addtional details.

Thanks!

Edited by tjt

1 hour ago, tjt said:

Hi! love the mod. On the Rover...the rover's wheels are showing up without any texture (they're just grey as if they were unskinned models)  and their behavior is strange - can't get them to attach on both sides of the rover frame at the same time. I'm not sure how long this has been happening since I just downloaded the Mod recently and just got Rover tech.

I've tried reinstalling the mod. Also noted that an update came out today, but that didn't fix it. Let me know if you want me to send you any files/addtional details.

Thanks!

This has been reported before, there is manual fix on GitHub for the texture problem (just rename the file issue #1 mentions). Not sure if these wheels work even if you fix the texture tbh.

Read about it here:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/ExplorationPack/issues/90

Edited by Vrana

I haven't seen this issue reported recently. Has anyone encountered this and know how to fix? Just installed this mod and the HERP Jumpseat doesn't show the Kerbal when he is mounted.  The kerbal is also not visible in the HERP Glass Pod.

Spoiler

CpcoXrY.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to start off by saying that I've been playing KSP for about a month now and am completely hooked.  Thank you for your hard work and I've subscribed to Patreon so show my support.

Okay, now to my question. 

I used 8 AES modules to create a ship capable of taking 8 tourists to the Mun or Minmus, land and then return to Kerbin for about 80k.  I use the Stage Recovery mod to recoup some of the costs of my rockets so long as they have chutes on them and re-enter slowly.  That makes this a VERY profitable tourist ride when I get enough missions lined up.

For one thing, the heat shield acts like a frisbee and without any chutes, the entire thing slows down to less than 100m/s by the time it hits an altitude of 3000, making it very easy to recover with a single chute.

Last night I decided to send one up to my Kerbin space station to retrieve some crew on board.  I also put some tools (wrench, etc) in one of the pods so my engineer could do some work on the station (KIS mod).  Here is where the problem happens.

In the production facility, I can access the items in the AES inventory.  However, when I move it to the launch pad, everything in the AES inventory disappears.
If there is a crew member in the AES pod when it moves to the launch pad, the items remain in the pod's (or crewman's) inventory.

Can anyone confirm if this is a problem with KIS or a problem with the USI Exploration Pack?  Or is this working as intended?

Thanks
Nxh80PC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Nxh80PC.jpg

2 hours ago, SCESW said:

In the production facility, I can access the items in the AES inventory.  However, when I move it to the launch pad, everything in the AES inventory disappears.
If there is a crew member in the AES pod when it moves to the launch pad, the items remain in the pod's (or crewman's) inventory.

By design.  "seat inventory" isn't really inventory like a KIS container.  It is essentially just a way to put something in a Kerbal's inventory since you cannot actually access a kerbal's backpack from the VAB.

I wanted to follow up on this so I did a few reloads and learned the following.

1.  AES pod inside production facility acts as storage container (with or without crew inside)
2.  AES on launch pad, in space or docked will appear empty of inventory if no crew is inside
3.  AES inventory will reappear when crew is added, meaning that it is still there, but unviewable/accessible
4.  Evacing crew members take all of the inventory with them

In hind sight, I double checked the weights to see if the 'invisible' inventory still counts against the total weight of the vehicle.  It does.  Something to keep in mind when I reuse an old design that I may have put inventory into before launching.

I apologize if this is a KIS issue only.  I am just having so much fun playing KSP that I'd like to help if I can and since the USI mods are the most recent mods I've added, I figured that I would ask on this board before posting it all on the KIS boards.

Thanks again
CjSfJWu.jpg?1

It's not even really an issue - it's working as designed.  'Seat X Inventory' is the Kerbal's pockets - whatever they are carrying when they get into the ship.  You can tell them what to carry in the VAB (because there's no where else to tell them), but it's still the Kerbal that's got them.  No Kerbal, no pockets, no stuff.

Some parts will have a separate Inventory of their own - that's the storage lockers in the part.  Then you don't have to have a Kerbal to carry it.  (And they may have one or more 'Seat X Inventory' as well - depending on how many Kerbals they can carry.)

Now, the fact that the stuff in the seat inventory increases the ship's mass even when there's no Kerbal there is probably a bug, and should be reported to KIS.

7 hours ago, DStaal said:

Now, the fact that the stuff in the seat inventory increases the ship's mass even when there's no Kerbal there is probably a bug, and should be reported to KIS.

I don't know - sounds that KIS is properly unloading the items from the craft when it goes to the launchpad without any crew inside

10 hours ago, SCESW said:

2.  AES on launch pad, in space or docked will appear empty of inventory if no crew is inside

He says the inventory comes back if he adds crew but that would be on a revert to VAB which would bring back the items and then adding crew and going to the launch pad would retain the items. So sounds like everything is working as intended - unless the weight of the craft is still the same when it goes from VAB to pad with inventory added but no crew

3 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

I don't know - sounds that KIS is properly unloading the items from the craft when it goes to the launchpad without any crew inside

He says the inventory comes back if he adds crew but that would be on a revert to VAB which would bring back the items and then adding crew and going to the launch pad would retain the items. So sounds like everything is working as intended - unless the weight of the craft is still the same when it goes from VAB to pad with inventory added but no crew

I understand now that the AES pod is not actually a storage container despite allowing you to store stuff in it while in the VAB.  That is what confused me.  The inability to retrieve or even see items in the pod when I move it to the launch pad is why I thought it might be a bug with the pod and not so much a 'feature' of KIS.

My first hint was when I flew the uncrewed pod up to my space station to retrieve someone.  When I crewed it at the station, I noticed that all of the items were in there despite not showing up before I crewed it.  That led to the further testing and noticing that the mass of the objects I added in the VAB were still included despite not giving me access to the items or a way to delete them, unless of course I crew it.

I can guess that this isn't a very common issue, or it is so common that only a noob like myself notices it.   :-)

Thanks again for the clarifications.

In 1.1.2 for some reason I'm getting the pack rat mini wheels showing up without textures, as in all gray models in game. The included .dds texture is in the folder. They also do not show the "popped" state when they are damaged. The do appear to function correctly though.

EDIT: OK, so far tried re-installing the mod, copying the .dds file from the squad part to the miniwheel folder and have had no luck. 

EDIT 2: Also tried a fresh download, installed into a fresh KSP install, 1.1.2 64bit, with no other mods, and got the same gray textureless result.

EDIT 3: Just found the texture renaming fix and the damper/spring strength fix (set both to 2). [Was looking for gray, not grey] I can confirm that the packrat appears to function much better with both fixes applied. Obviously the front suspension isn't going to act as expected with those values, but the wheels don't get overloaded and maintain their ability to steer.

EDIT 4: Starting to get an understanding of what is going on here: the mini wheels do not ever show that they are broken for some reason. Going to chalk that up to new wheel mechanics. The suspension bottoms out with the wheel hitting the fender, and motors and steering also stop working, when they break, giving the illusion that the wheel is stuck on the fender. Secondly I concur that the fender positioning is affecting the front wheels. I tried using the offset tool to move them up, which also caused them to snap back a little and align themselves properly with the wheels (it has been noted here: https://github.com/BobPalmer/ExplorationPack/issues/90 that the wheels are not centred under the front fenders). With the fenders up out of the way, but still attached the rover functions normally.

EDIT 5: So I think what is actually going on is this new wheel block/clipping thing where squad turns your wheels off because the game thinks they touched something. It was implemented to stop the kraken, and from what I can gather in the forums is a controversial solution, to say the least. I tried setting physicssignificance of the pack rat front to = 1 and playing with it in the default snap position, and the problem comes back.

EDIT 6: After a full day of messing with this and trying to learn about unity, wheel physics and modding the best I can come up with is use the offset tool to move the fenders up a little. having angle snap on and holding down shift for "Precision placement" for one "click" upwards is guaranteed to give enough room to work flawlessly, though might look a tad funny. Still better then missing the whole front and headlights. Dragging it up one click will also re-align the fender front to back so they are directly over the wheels.

P.S. as a side note I have replaced the RTG in the back with a 5K battery and increased the weight to .225 for that part. I removed the 200 bat from the front. I did this because I didn't like having a rover that has infinite power, and no danger cost for the source of that power. This is far more like the actual apollo rovers anyway, with their one time use lead-acid batteries. Might consider moving the whole rover sooner in the tech tree as well, but haven't started a 1.1.2 career yet, still just setting up my mods. 

Edited by Errol

I posted this to the KIS GitHub but thought that it might be useful to RoverDude as well since this is the forum where I initially posted my findings.
I spent a few hours testing this and what I found is very interesting. It either points to bad pointers (lack of memory clean-up) in the core code or possibly a way to access data that people are unaware can still be accessed in the save files.

In other words, if there is invisible mass from KIS items, it may be possible that there is invisible mass from other KSP items and mods that cause un-reproducible bugs that might give the illusion of bad aerodynamics or weight issues causing rockets to list on one person's game but not another person's.

Hopefully my testing proves helpful.

http://imgur.com/a/t66RD

The micro ducted fan engine doesn't use electricity - or at least not noticeably.  I see that it is very unbalanced according to the specs I see in the VAB.  I flew around kerbin once with two of these things and no power source except a battery.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

First of all, I dont think I'd be playing KSP if it wasnt for Roverdudes mods, they're just awesome!

Im working on my Duna base, and i was trying to bring in a ducted fan VTOL from orbit to move supplies around, but i cant get the fans to start working!

I managed to land the craft using rcs and a few (many) attempts, and it just sits there, i get a flame out and cant get the fans working...

Its crazy, because it worked on kerbin, they all display sufficient atmosphere, and there's a reactor on board so EC is  no prob either.

Spoiler

landed.png

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2016 at 8:24 PM, Tossy64 said:

I haven't seen this issue reported recently. Has anyone encountered this and know how to fix? Just installed this mod and the HERP Jumpseat doesn't show the Kerbal when he is mounted.  The kerbal is also not visible in the HERP Glass Pod.

Hide contents

CpcoXrY.jpg

I've just tried this for the first time myself, and have this exact issue. I was planning to use the HERP for it's IVA (since the EAS-1 doesn't have one) but this is making me think again.

From IVA view, everything seems to be working correctly. However from external view, there's no sign of a 'seat' on the HERP jumpseat part at all (even when adding in the editor), and no sign of a Kerbal sitting in it. The crew portrait (bottom right) also shows that the kerb is in an interior location, but there's no backdrop or anything else - just black.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there! sorry to bug you, but I'm having some ctd issues when attempting to use the AES parts in the VAB and SPH. Not really sure if this mod is the cause, or if its some weird incompatibility or something entirely unreleated, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could take a look at the logs here and maybe steer me in the right direction to keep it from continually happening :/

output_log.txt

KSP.log

(I woulda done pastebin links instead of dropbox, but the files were just too big for pastebin :( )

Edited by DracoSilverpath

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.