[1.12.x] USI Exploration Pack - Small parts, big adventure! [v 0.6.0]

RoverDude

• 2 weeks later...

i found an old thread that says this mod has deployable air bags, but when i installed it i couldnt find airbags in my inventory.. has the airbags been abandoned? 

edit.

ok so i found the airbags, some reason my save didn't load them but when i made a new game it worked.. but.. they are not reliable and need some fixing.. 

one thing, they need an auto deploy.. like the realchute, a slide that has amt pressure and feet would be super nice.. so you can arm them and then drop the return and not worry about having power or command to open them up.

also i used some medium bags with a small return vessel that was basically just the science storage unit, with some science loaded in it, with them around it and they say they were good for 500m/s.. 

well with air drag my vessel was only 60 m/s and it exploded on impact. it didnt even try to bounce or anything.. the bags completely engulfed the whole thing.. and were completely useless. 

Edited by aaronsta1

On 08/06/2017 at 0:53 AM, aaronsta1 said:

one thing, they need an auto deploy.. like the realchute, a slide that has amt pressure and feet would be super nice.. so you can arm them and then drop the return and not worry about having power or command to open them up.

also i used some medium bags with a small return vessel that was basically just the science storage unit, with some science loaded in it, with them around it and they say they were good for 500m/s.. 

well with air drag my vessel was only 60 m/s and it exploded on impact. it didnt even try to bounce or anything.. the bags completely engulfed the whole thing.. and were completely useless. 

Airbags can make your craft massively unstable aerowise when inflated and they are often used in conjunction with chutes, meaning an autodeploy would both be unnecessary and potentially dangerous.

I don't think even a hefty airbag will save you from smashing into the ground at 135mph. The 500m/s rating is purely nominal, at high speeds the deceleration g-forces will clip your craft into the ground or itself and destroy it anyway. They are good for final landings, but it's best use them in conjunction with a chute, even if just a drogue. The heavier the ship, the slower landing velocity the airbags can take before g-induced clipping wrecks your craft.

Edited by voicey99

On 6/12/2017 at 11:30 AM, voicey99 said:

Airbags can make your craft massively unstable aerowise when inflated and they are often used in conjunction with chutes, meaning an autodeploy would both be unnecessary and potentially dangerous.

I don't think even a hefty airbag will save you from smashing into the ground at 135mph. The 500m/s rating is purely nominal, at high speeds the deceleration g-forces will clip your craft into the ground or itself and destroy it anyway. They are good for final landings, but it's best use them in conjunction with a chute, even if just a drogue. The heavier the ship, the slower landing velocity the airbags can take before g-induced clipping wrecks your craft.

see thats the point, if i had chutes why bother with the bags.. and it was a tiny craft like i said it was basically just the science storage unit and airbags around the sides and one on top and bottom that i sent back from the mun.. it was only traveling at about 60ish m/s when it hit the ground. i figured it was just going to bounce around till it stopped.. i remade it with just ONE chute on top and it landed at like 3.2 m/s lol

maybe the airbags would be better for just landing on smaller objects. ill try to send something to minmus with airbags and see if it works.. 

i do have a contract for 2 sciences on a base on the mun.. i could just  load it up with airbags and drop it from orbit lol.. 

Edited by aaronsta1

5 hours ago, aaronsta1 said:

see that's the point, if i had chutes why bother with the bags.. and it was a tiny craft like i said it was basically just the science storage unit and airbags around the sides and one on top and bottom that i sent back from the mun.. it was only travelling at about 60ish m/s when it hit the ground. I figured it was just going to bounce around till it stopped.. I remade it with just ONE chute on top and it landed at like 3.2 m/s lol

Maybe the airbags would be better for just landing on smaller objects. I'll try to send something to minmus with airbags and see if it works.. 

I do have a contract for 2 sciences on a base on the mun.. i could just  load it up with airbags and drop it from orbit lol.

Airbags have their limits. They will soften your landing for when you're going slightly too fast, but they can't land you on their own (unless it's Eve and terminal vel is walking pace).

Would you provide patches to include FARControllableSurface into the following parts?

• UmbraSpaceIndustries/SubPack/Otter/Parts/DivePlane/MiniSub_DivePlane
  • UmbraSpaceIndustries/SubPack/Otter/Parts/SubRudder/MiniSub_Rudder

I would much appreciate that.

Reason:

Edited by Gordon Dry

10 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Would you provide patches to include FARControllableSurface into the following parts?

Reason:

@RoverDude Takes Pull requests.

9 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

I suspect the response will be 'sure, if you submit them'.  :wink:  I doubt anyone will want to write the patches unless they actually use FAR and DD.

• 2 weeks later...

Hy, I would like to suggest a new mod, because I don't see it anywhere around.

I am stuck with this situation that doesnt seems very realistic. I have droped stage that is parachuting to the ocean and as soon as it contact the ocean the chutes cut. It stand still for a few seconds before it tumbles and everything breaks apart. 

I think the rocket should fill with waters. I actuallly watched a documentary of NASA recovering one of Shuttle's SRBs that just felt in water, they plug in an inflatable cork and then they pump out all water inside to achieve 100% buoyancy.

Soo, a mod that would let water get inside the rockets, slowly OR better yet a pump to fill the fuel tanks with water, this could be usefull in lots of ways specially for those who like subwater exploration.

Big Thanks!

I'm running into a slight problem. Everything I've seen says that the electric fan should function on Duna, but when I try to use it there I get "airCombustionFailed". A few others have posted on this before, but never posted the resolution. I get that thrust on Duna would be way lower due to the atmospheric pressure only being 3% of that on Kerbin, but the fan should still operate. If it runs and a TWR >1 is impossible, so be it, that's physics, but what it shouldn't do is "flame out" an engine that has no flame!

Does anyone know what's going on here or how to fix it?

On 7/3/2017 at 6:50 PM, Omnipius said:

I'm running into a slight problem. Everything I've seen says that the electric fan should function on Duna, but when I try to use it there I get "airCombustionFailed". A few others have posted on this before, but never posted the resolution. I get that thrust on Duna would be way lower due to the atmospheric pressure only being 3% of that on Kerbin, but the fan should still operate. If it runs and a TWR >1 is impossible, so be it, that's physics, but what it shouldn't do is "flame out" an engine that has no flame!

Does anyone know what's going on here or how to fix it?

Are you moving when you start?

1.3 has a bug where atmospheric resource gatherers don't work at zero speed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

This may sound weird, but for some reason whenever I have a kerbal inside DERP escape pod and timewarp, he just disappears... The craft is not controllable anymore, there is no mention of it in the flight log, they are not in the KSC. Any idea where to start troubleshooting? I have a few mods instaled, but as far as I know the only ones that affect kerbals directly are your LS mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Bug re-report.

Back in KSP 1.2.2 airbags added to any horizontally moving craft caused loss of speed at roughly 50 m/s. That meant any aircraft or SSTO that needs over 50 m/s to take off couldn't launch.

There was a issue placed at github page for Exploration pack that addressed this bug with a solution to check for deploy boolean value inside airbag module and that solved the problem. The airbag module simply removed speed from craft without checking if airbag was deployed or not.

Now this bug has re-appeared and i haven't found a github page for this pack containing actual visual studio project with sources so can't even recompile/fix this myself, let alone re-post the bugfix.

Paging @RoverDude about location of sources for Exploration Pack at github, PLEASE reply !

29 minutes ago, fatcargo said:

Bug re-report.

Back in KSP 1.2.2 airbags added to any horizontally moving craft caused loss of speed at roughly 50 m/s. That meant any aircraft or SSTO that needs over 50 m/s to take off couldn't launch.

There was a issue placed at github page for Exploration pack that addressed this bug with a solution to check for deploy boolean value inside airbag module and that solved the problem. The airbag module simply removed speed from craft without checking if airbag was deployed or not.

Now this bug has re-appeared and i haven't found a github page for this pack containing actual visual studio project with sources so can't even recompile/fix this myself, let alone re-post the bugfix.

Paging @RoverDude about location of sources for Exploration Pack at github, PLEASE reply !

All part modules are contained within USITools (https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/UmbraSpaceIndustries/tree/master/USITools/USITools/Airbags)

It's named "fix for Airbags" under FluffyLogic, has an ID e483027.

I'm new to this. I understand the basics but "pull request" vs "issue" vs... confuses me. I tried to look for a guide from creating account to posting a fix in someone else's repository but had no luck. All info is chopped up in little pieces and i didn't figure out how they fit as a whole.

I had hoped desktop client would do it for me. It listed in the client, but i too can't see it in web version with browser.

Uhhh if i understand this correctly - i NEVER sent any change to repository.

1. I'm operating on "master" branch.

2. I tried to to do a "push origin" and got error response.

Error is

"Authentication failed. You may not have permission to access the repository. Open options and verify that you're signed in with an account that has permission to access this repository."

It seems that i have the wrong branch, one with reserved write access for it's owner / co-developers.

8 minutes ago, fatcargo said:

Uhhh if i understand this correctly - i NEVER sent any change to repository.

1. I'm operating on "master" branch.

2. I tried to to do a "push origin" and got error response.

Error is

"Authentication failed. You may not have permission to access the repository. Open options and verify that you're signed in with an account that has permission to access this repository."

It seems that i have the wrong branch, one with reserved write access for it's owner / co-developers.

What you need to do is fork the repo and then clone it to desktop. From there you can make your changes and then push them through the app.

3xBlvXf.png pdjnHHY.png

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

Thanks ! I did the fork. As for clone to desktop, i replaced it with cloning option inside desktop client itself.

After chaing the relevant file, i've pushed to my master and sent a PR to original repo. All data should be visible now.

Please confirm. I've hijacked this thread with my github learning curve long enough.

28 minutes ago, fatcargo said:

I've hijacked this thread with my github learning curve long enough.

For what it's worth, I would rather see ten pages of people learning GitHub than a single "broken pls fx" or "needs update" post. 

Likes for everyone; this has been a pleasure to watch.

57 minutes ago, fatcargo said:

Thanks ! I did the fork. As for clone to desktop, i replaced it with cloning option inside desktop client itself.

After chaing the relevant file, i've pushed to my master and sent a PR to original repo. All data should be visible now.

Please confirm. I've hijacked this thread with my github learning curve long enough.

Merged!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.