How to run in 64 bit?

Pasting the following in the launch options in steam should get the game to launch 64-bit automatically:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe" -popupwindow %command%

Replace what's in quotes with your install directory and remove -popupwindow if you don't want to use borderless window mode.

Edited by FenrirWolf

Pasting the following in the launch options in steam should get the game to launch 64-bit automatically:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe" -popupwindow %command%

Replace what's in quotes with your install directory and remove -popupwindow if you don't want to use borderless window mode.

I really recommend against doing this, unless you can't live without Steam tracking your hours played and doing its thing with screenshots. This is because while the 64-bit version seems to work OK as far as playing KSP goes, it has some annoying side-effects on your overall computer system, which you will eventually need to reboot to cure. Specifically, it tends to screw up any user-defined mouse buttons you may have. So really and truly, at this point I would consider the win64 version of KSP to be in "public experimental testing". Harv pretty much said that in the release notes. Bottom line is, I prefer to do my main thing with win32 and use win64 only for EXTENSIVELY modded games that actually need the extra horsepower just to avoid lag and crashes.

So, here's what to do instead:

1) Find your c:\program files(86)\steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program folder and copy it lock, stock, and barrel to just c:\Kerbal Space Program.

2) Open c:\Kerbal Space Program, find KSP_x64.exe and create a desktop shortcut for it.

3) Add all your massive mods to c:\Kerbal Space Program\Game Data.

4) Use the PLAY button on Steam to play the less-modded win32 version and use the shortcut to play the heavily modded win64 version.

NOTE: no KSP executable has any real DRM on it, not even if you got it from Steam, so this works just fine. You can have as many separate installs of KSP as you want to own. In this way, you can keep old games going with all their mods and such intact, regardless of incompatibilities introduced in later game updates. This is something I do pretty much religiously now. When I get word that the next update is coming, I copy whatever I've got in the Steam folder to a new folder and make a desktop shortcut for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.