What Is Your Favorite 0.24 Feature?

Espresso

Hi Everyone,

I started this thread so I know if I'm the only one who'se favorite feature in 0.24 was 64-bit KSP for Windows. No more lag on top quality graphics! What's your favorite 0.24 feature? I'm interested...

In a word, "Performance".

I've a 400+ part behemoth of a heavy lifter that, in 0.23.5 experienced so much lag that it took 35 minutes of real time to go from launch pad to 70km (at which point the lag vanished completely)

In 0.24 64bit I can launch this same ship and have zero lag, flying in real time (green MET clock) the entire flight.

Contracts made the game a whole lot more alive and fun. That is my favorite new feature in .24.

The new planet shader is looking a far lot better than before (did the space-skybox change too... looks more contrasted than before in my opinion) and those little part tweaks really make sense. I think .24 is great update, however some things felt a little incomplete.

But then again, that is up to the content creation process. There has been added a lot of gameplay which was really missing so far.

And after i few contracts, i thought, they would repeat, but those procedural contracts come up with some really stupid but challenging tests... "Test a jet engine on the Mun"... Test the 2 x 1 LFB in munar escape trajectory...", some of them really gave me the laughs... and a challenge.

And those rescue missions are really cool... adding the saved kerbals to the own flight roster is a nice idea which gets you to care more for those dudes in white suits immediately.

Well done Squad! Thank you :)

Contracts, because now I actually have a reason to go outside of the Kerbin SOI! With just science, you can max out the tech tree (and then some) without going interplanetary. Now, I'll have contracts telling me "Hey go out there and do something. FOR SCIENCE! (and lots of money)"

Second to that would be:

Engine vectoring can control the roll axis now! Now my rockets won't spiral their way into the sky even if they're built a tiny bit crooked, so long as they have more than a single vectoring engine (or one of either RAPIER or quad KS-25 cluster).

And third goes to the Vernor RCS port, because it means people can finally make RCS thrusters that use more than one resource at a time without having to create/use a plugin or muck about with part modules beyond the RCS one.

Edited by SciMan

The contracts are outstanding. For the first time in months I actually have to think about how I build my rockets. It's not just "build what I want to put into space and add a subassembly launch stage underneath" anymore. Plus, they are so much fun! :D

Contracts and funds. They add so much to career mode and make it a lot more enjoyable for me. You actually have to think about what you're doing now, and not just strap a bunch of boosters onto your rocket. Also, the addition of Mission Control accessibility makes the space center feel complete.

In a word, "Performance".

I've a 400+ part behemoth of a heavy lifter that, in 0.23.5 experienced so much lag that it took 35 minutes of real time to go from launch pad to 70km (at which point the lag vanished completely)

In 0.24 64bit I can launch this same ship and have zero lag, flying in real time (green MET clock) the entire flight.

This is why 64bit is the most awesome new feature. Also...

64 bit. My mods shall blot out the sun!

Mine will have succeeded in that in a few hours... Good luck with loading times though... They still appear to be the same...

Edited by Espresso
Grandmarrs

How do i know if I have the 64bit version?

That depends on whether you can get it. Is your computer Windows? Is your computer 64bit? Are you running the Kerbal Space Program store version, or steam version. I have steam, so I'll start with that and what I did.

Steam:

1. Navigate to C:/Program files x86/steam/steam apps/common, then delete the Kerbal Space Program folder. Backup your saves! Only do this if you have mods, otherwise skip this step.

2. In your steam library right-click Kerbal Space Program and select Delete Local Content.

3. Install Kerbal Space Program and steam will determine whether you need the 64bit or 32bit version and automatically install it. The 64bit version took longer to install for me than the 32bit did, but that may have been from everyone else downloading.

KSP Store:

1. Backup your saves. Delete your Kerbal Space Program folder. Only do this if you want to start over.

2. Go to the Kerbal Space Program store and sign in.

3. Install the Windows 64bit version.

Both

4. Play Kerbal Space Program and have fun with your 64bit version of it...

The mods. A lot of the big mods (thanks to some cooperation from Squad no doubt) were able to update to 0.24 within a day or so. Some amazing new stuff as well. Each update the modding community just does better and better.

Prices.

I had utterly forsaken SRB's until I saw the cost difference between them and the liquid fuel parts. It's prompted a serious redesign of my ships, many of which are far more efficient now. It's also made science gathering a bit more interesting, since now you need to gather as much science as possible as cheaply as possible. I've developed Science Pods I'm using to gather all the science in a biome at once; they're a very kerbal clump of capsules, science instruments, engines, and struts. It's fun :)

How do i know if I have the 64bit version?

In a nutshell, a 64 bit program will normally have some sort of recognition if is a 64 bit version. Mostly in the .Exe form if your dealing with Windows. It mostly is inside the title of the .exe file. Your using Steam? If so, you should have two .exe files. Cause from the reads of it, Steam download both. That should be at least be what Squad planned to be. I don´t use Steam. Can´t test it out for you. But to be sure, start the game (your version) and go into your task management window. It should be saying/pointing out what version you are running. If not.. contact Squad..

Edited by JSD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.