[1.2] UAL002's Lorefriendy Serious Parody Flags v2.1 [Fall of the Ape Edition]

UAL002

Kaustralia:

The Kaustralian space program was driven not so much by the ever-present Kerbal desire to reach for the stars, but by more intensely practical issues such as the local poisonous spiders, as well as the deadly reptiles, mammals, birds, plants, lichens and fungi of the land of Kaustralia. In fact, most Kerbal biologists agree that it's much easier to list the non-deadly species of Kaustralia, which generally boils down to "some of the sheep. The Kaustralian space program has recently been banned from the Kerbalnational Space Station after an incident where a spider stowed away on one of its vessels, resulting in the entire station's crew being killed, one from a spider bite and sixteen from venting the explosion which resulted from the attempts to kill the creature. Kerbonauts investigating the wreckage report that the spider was alive and well, having sealed off one of the emergency suit helmets with its web. KSC administrators have been pondering a nuclear strike in order to clear the orbit, but Kaustralian officials have warned that such actions would probably only anger the spider.

EDIT:

Also, as a suggestion, have you considered working with the KerbinSide guys to put these flags in the game? It'd be pretty neat to see them flying at appropriate locations in the world :P

Edited by TheDamDog

• 4 weeks later...

I have a description for Ishmael. Here it is.

Even though they're a small country, what Ishmael lacks in size is made up for by them being the most tech-savvy (and the most religious) country in the world. They have a massive particle accelerator at one of their 5 universities that they downgraded to make a probe sized version. Some of the KSC's best R&D scientists are of Ishmaeli origin. Don't tell anyone, but Probodobodyne's solar panels are made in Ishmael, not in Kippon, as they're on the cutting edge of solar panel technology. They're even developing a huge solar panel that folds into an insanely compact area. Also, they may or may not be making a probe core with a built in particle accelerator.

Edited by TheJewelOfJool

• 2 weeks later...

UAL002, are you taking more flags? Here is one I've made, with a bio. I'm also curious for feedback (from anyone, not just UAL002).

72JWV4u.pngP74dpsT.png

The Republic of Keon is a union of several self-sufficient space colonies in the Kerbin system, mostly centered around the Mun and Minmus. Its founding was inspired by the philosophy of Keon Kerman, who argued that, while Kerbals should respect their home planet, they are destined to leave it, and that space colonies should be governed by the colonists themselves. Keon and his philosophy proved to be very popular among space colonists, especially those from more repressive nations, and the colony independence movement grew rapidly. War was averted when the various nations' treasuries reported that it would be cheaper to let self-sufficient colonies be independent than force them into compliance, and that allowing them to become peacefully independent could be spun into a PR victory, and so the Republic of Keon was formed. The nations of Kerbin are watching the Republic warily; Keon's health is fading, and some Kerbals jockeying to be his successor are suggesting that they can achieve Kerbalkind's destiny much more rapidly by taking control of the Kerbin system by force, or by rendering Kerbin uninhabitable...

The bio and flag are based on the Republic of Zeon from Mobile Suit Gundam, with the silhouette of a Mk1-2 Command Pod instead of an O'Neill cylinder-type colony and with Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmus instead of three generic stars. I was going to make the silhouette depict a Hitchhiker pod, as it's a commonly-used stock space station part, but the Mk1-2 pod was easier and probably more iconic. The bit about some wanting to take control of the Kerbin system is a nod to the villainous Principality of Zeon that the Republic became before the show began. The roundel depicts a winged Kerbal rising from Kerbin, inspired by the winged figure used by the Newborn Neo Zeon movement in Char's Counterattack (who also inspired that last line about some wanting to render Kerbin uninhabitable).

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

UAL002, are you taking more flags? Here is one I've made, with a bio. I'm also curious for feedback (from anyone, not just UAL002).

https://i.imgur.com/72JWV4u.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/P74dpsT.png

The Republic of Keon is a union of several self-sufficient space colonies in the Kerbin system, mostly centered around the Mun and Minmus. Its founding was inspired by the philosophy of Keon Kerman, who argued that, while Kerbals should respect their home planet, they are destined to leave it, and that space colonies should be governed by the colonists themselves. Keon and his philosophy proved to be very popular among space colonists, especially those from more repressive nations, and the colony independence movement grew rapidly. War was averted when the various nations' treasuries reported that it would be cheaper to let self-sufficient colonies be independent than force them into compliance, and that allowing them to become peacefully independent could be spun into a PR victory, and so the Republic of Keon was formed. The nations of Kerbin are watching the Republic warily; Keon's health is fading, and some Kerbals jockeying to be his successor are suggesting that they can achieve Kerbalkind's destiny much more rapidly by taking control of the Kerbin system by force, or by rendering Kerbin uninhabitable...

The bio and flag are based on the Republic of Zeon from Mobile Suit Gundam, with the silhouette of a Mk1-2 Command Pod instead of an O'Neill cylinder-type colony and with Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmus instead of three generic stars. I was going to make the silhouette depict a Hitchhiker pod, as it's a commonly-used stock space station part, but the Mk1-2 pod was easier and probably more iconic. The bit about some wanting to take control of the Kerbin system is a nod to the villainous Principality of Zeon that the Republic became before the show began. The roundel depicts a winged Kerbal rising from Kerbin, inspired by the winged figure used by the Newborn Neo Zeon movement in Char's Counterattack (who also inspired that last line about some wanting to render Kerbin uninhabitable).

Wow, I like the effort you put into all of the flags and bios. I'm not sure that this fits in with the intended scope of the mod though. The idea being Kerbin Country flags. As constructive criticism, I will say that the flags seem a little busy. I read an article once about how most modern flags follow a 3 color, 3rds rule. Or something to that effect. The idea with a flag being that the less detail the better for further distance identification.

I'll see where this mod takes us as someone else released a flag pack recently that I really liked the flags. I kinda feel like I need to step up my game.

Wow, I like the effort you put into all of the flags and bios. I'm not sure that this fits in with the intended scope of the mod though. The idea being Kerbin Country flags. As constructive criticism, I will say that the flags seem a little busy. I read an article once about how most modern flags follow a 3 color, 3rds rule. Or something to that effect. The idea with a flag being that the less detail the better for further distance identification.

I'll see where this mod takes us as someone else released a flag pack recently that I really liked the flags. I kinda feel like I need to step up my game.

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I was trying to stick too close to the original Republic of Zeon flag (and to be fair to Zeon, they only had to make their flag distinguishable from the Earth Federation). I could erase the stripes for sure, and maybe the planets as well (or simplify them -- there's certainly no need to depict the continents on Kerbin, and I could color them all while like the original RoZ flag's stars).

I also get what you're saying about the scope of this flag pack. Maybe I'll post them in the Artwork forum, and anyone who wants them can have them.

• 4 weeks later...

Heads up, just making sure to update the title for compatibility with [.90] I haven't tested it but I'll eat my shorts if some new feature broke our flags. Just make sure the agencies don't cause trouble with contracts and report back if possible. I'm on complete stock for a few days.

I have an idea for the "UAL" flag if you're still taking proposals. :)

"UAL", the United Artists League.

Bio:

The UAL is a small nation home to the most prestigious university of the arts on Kerbin, the University of Kerbal Arts & Literature. While the UAL's presence in the field of spaceflight has not been notable, their long history of logo- and flag-making for other countries and various entities has had a subtle and lasting impact on kerbal spaceflight. There are also rumors that artists and designers from the UAL color-coordinate many of the parts produced by aerospace companies all-around Kerbin.

I have an idea for the "UAL" flag if you're still taking proposals. :)

"UAL", the United Artists League.

Bio:

The UAL is a small nation home to the most prestigious university of the arts on Kerbin, the University of Kerbal Arts & Literature. While the UAL's presence in the field of spaceflight has not been notable, their long history of logo- and flag-making for other countries and various entities has had a subtle and lasting impact on kerbal spaceflight. There are also rumors that artists and designers from the UAL color-coordinate many of the parts produced by aerospace companies all-around Kerbin.

Not bad, this may finally force my hand at cleaning up that flag.

• 3 weeks later...

i laughed at the brazilian kerbin counterpart :D (but sadly the RL one did not change the way they vote... i can guarantee that the feeling to the sport did change though)

about Polan... how about a bio with a "Polan cannot into space" obvious joke? :D

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.