[0.24] StarSystems v0.2

OvenProofMars

I am currently Uploading one of the solar systems that I made to dropbox.

And because of this i just downloaded this mod. right where's that link??:)

Edited by BrutalRIP

Just out of curiosity....

As I understand the game mechanics (and, please, anyone correct anything I may have wrong):

- There's a hierarchy of SOIs (Kerbol/planets/moons in vanilla, black hole/stars/planets/moons in starsytem) where the highest level always has/requires an infinite SOI.

- Gravity of one body has no actual effect on another body. A body's orbit is determined by its major axis/inclination/eccentricity. Gravity affects ships but all bodies are on "tracks".

So....if I'm correct with that, would it be possible for one to use starsystems to reduce the size and gravity of the black hole to effectively zero, though keep its SOI infinite, and use that point as the focus for a binary (or trinary or more) star system, with each star having the same orbital period (ie always opposite each other)?

Just curious....I thought that having that option might make the realism players a little more happy than accepting a mini-galaxy.

Really loving this mod & excited to see what evolves. :)

I am currently Uploading one of the solar systems that I made to dropbox.

Dolas:

1. Ablate

2. Ascension

3. CZF30

4. Sentar (Skelton, Erin ^Pock, Ringle, Thud)

5. Urania

6. Freezer (Titania)

7. Inaccessable

Corbo:

1. Fearless (Peabody, Brag)

2. Kunar

3. Kaiser (Don, Polo)

4. Boris (Rocky, Natasha, Bulwinkle)

5. Jabin

6. Wot

Is PF:Ce working properly for you?

As I understand the game mechanics (and, please, anyone correct anything I may have wrong):

- There's a hierarchy of SOIs (Kerbol/planets/moons in vanilla, black hole/stars/planets/moons in starsytem) where the highest level always has/requires an infinite SOI.

- Gravity of one body has no actual effect on another body. A body's orbit is determined by its major axis/inclination/eccentricity. Gravity affects ships but all bodies are on "tracks".

So....if I'm correct with that, would it be possible for one to use starsystems to reduce the size and gravity of the black hole to effectively zero, though keep its SOI infinite, and use that point as the focus for a binary (or trinary or more) star system, with each star having the same orbital period (ie always opposite each other)?

Just curious....I thought that having that option might make the realism players a little more happy than accepting a mini-galaxy.

Yes this would technically be possible, setting the black hole's mass to 0 solar masses would do that. But the orbital period of each star would be infinate, not sure how the game would react to that, nor do I seam how that woudl be more realistic. Black Holes with stars orbiting aroudn them are actually quite common in the universe.

There are planet packs that have this, I believe the one included in Planet Factory called Barry has this. I haven't really been able to get it to work though, so I removed Barry.

Is PF:Ce working properly for you?

The only problems I have been having are with the Dolas and Corbo textures. I think it is because of active texture management, not sure.

Here is the file! Multiple Solar Systems

Let me know if you have installation questions, but everything should be straight forward.

do i need to install PF:CE or is eveything in the download? thanks

EDIT:never mind i figured it out and can confirm it works but i noticed that whilst in orbit around kerbin if i focus the view in mapview my ship stopped generating electric through the solar panels even though they where exposed to sunlight,as soon as i focused the view back to a body in the kerbol system they all worked

also can confirm the texture bug on the red sun the flare flickers until you zoom further in or out.

EDIT2:i had 2 ships in lko when i installed now they are on a collision course with a black hole none of it my doing:(

Edited by BrutalRIP

do i need to install PF:CE or is eveything in the download? thanks

EDIT:never mind i figured it out and can confirm it works but i noticed that whilst in orbit around kerbin if i focus the view in mapview my ship stopped generating electric through the solar panels even though they where exposed to sunlight,as soon as i focused the view back to a body in the kerbol system they all worked

also can confirm the texture bug on the red sun the flare flickers until you zoom further in or out.

EDIT2:i had 2 ships in lko when i installed now they are on a collision course with a black hole none of it my doing:(

I think I fixed the flicker issue on the stars. If you add this override code to your Active Texture Management Configs file it should stop the flicker. EDIT: It DOESN'T.

OVERRIDE

{

Starsystems/Resources/BlackHoleCorona

{

compress = true

mipmaps = true

scale = 1

filter_mode = Bilinear

make_not_readable = true

}

Starsystems/Resources/BlueStarCorona

{

compress = true

mipmaps = true

scale = 1

filter_mode = Bilinear

make_not_readable = true

}

Starsystems/Resources/RedStarCorona

{

compress = true

mipmaps = true

scale = 1

filter_mode = Bilinear

make_not_readable = true

}

}

Edited by Westi29

But the orbital period of each star would be infinate,

Hadn't thought of that. I was thinking period might be one of the variables coded in and not calculated by the game.

Black Holes with stars orbiting aroudn them are actually quite common in the universe.

I didn't realize that.

I'll stop with the idle speculation and let you guys get on with your work. ;)

Hey I am experiencing something strange with this mod + PF:CE, the star systems posted by Westi29, as well as any other planet pack, work in the game when it is run from KSP.exe. However, when the game is run from KSP_x64 the game puts a star right on top of Kerbin, and the black hole doesn't seem to be there anymore, with the custom stars orbiting the sun instead. I've tried re-installing the game with only StarSystems + Westi29's file, yet the same thing happens. Now the strangest of all is that every once in a while when I start up the game in 64bit this doesn't happen, although it is rare and seems to be random. I am just so confused I needed to ask, does anyone know what might be going on? I thought running in 64bit just allowed you to use more ram, I don't understand how it could cause this issue.

cbp5E8M

I think I fixed the flicker issue on the stars. If you add this override code to your Active Texture Management Configs file it should stop the flicker. EDIT: It DOESN'T.

OVERRIDE

{

Starsystems/Resources/BlackHoleCorona

{

compress = true

mipmaps = true

scale = 1

filter_mode = Bilinear

make_not_readable = true

}

Starsystems/Resources/BlueStarCorona

{

compress = true

mipmaps = true

scale = 1

filter_mode = Bilinear

make_not_readable = true

}

Starsystems/Resources/RedStarCorona

{

compress = true

mipmaps = true

scale = 1

filter_mode = Bilinear

make_not_readable = true

}

}

I'm pretty sure the flicker issue is either my rudamentry way of scaling the mesh, or due to the encoding of the corono texture.

Hey I am experiencing something strange with this mod + PF:CE, the star systems posted by Westi29, as well as any other planet pack, work in the game when it is run from KSP.exe. However, when the game is run from KSP_x64 the game puts a star right on top of Kerbin, and the black hole doesn't seem to be there anymore, with the custom stars orbiting the sun instead. I've tried re-installing the game with only StarSystems + Westi29's file, yet the same thing happens. Now the strangest of all is that every once in a while when I start up the game in 64bit this doesn't happen, although it is rare and seems to be random. I am just so confused I needed to ask, does anyone know what might be going on? I thought running in 64bit just allowed you to use more ram, I don't understand how it could cause this issue.

http://imgur.com/cbp5E8M

Yes, I'm pretty sure that PC:CE is corrupting a certain list with transforms (that my mod needs) when run in 64bit.

From all Mods i see so far i am the most intressted in this one. Expanding the Game to multiple solarsystems would be amazing. But if i get it right, it´s still in early devolopment and works only with some other mods to create own solar systems? I will deffinitly keep my eye on this one until it gets so far that i can simply download the mod and got a bunch of new solar systems when i start the game.

Great work, great idear, keep it up! *thumps up* For all KSP Interstellar players out there :)

If the moons and planets have custom textures then this would require massive amounts of RAM. However I like the idea of a green star.

i might reduce the number of bodies later on but the concept of a green star is it has a high content of copper or bismuth or both

i might reduce the number of bodies later on but the concept of a green star is it has a high content of copper or bismuth or both

How would that create a green star? As far as I know, our own sun itself is already mostly green, but due to the blackbody radiation function, the combined emission of the other colours makes its light appear white to us (which, from a biological standpoint, probably is not a coincidence). I might be mistaken, though. I haven't studied it in-depth. :D

Star colour is determined by temperature, not the elements it's made of (even if it was, finding a star made of copper or bismuth would be... weird.)

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2008/07/29/why-are-there-no-green-stars/#.U9PflPldXnE

this article explains it pretty well. basically, since green is in the middle of the visible spectrum, having the intensity peak there will mean a fairly even spread across the entire visible spectrum, meaning that it's white.

so in the end, star colours go (in order of temperature) Red, orange, yellow, white, blue.