[0.24] StarSystems v0.2

OvenProofMars

This is genius!

The developers need to see it. After all... 64bit, it was the forums that showed it could be done. Multiplayer was first done with a mod. Resources (I haven't given up hope on a stock version) were developed by modders. Plane parts, wheels, and so on.

So, one can dream that after seeing this, Squad will think about making the game Interstellar and adding new parts way up in the tech tree.

So, I'm running into some Interesting bugs in x64. With just StarSystems loaded, everything seems to work (I haven't extensively tested it) but when I add KU2 into the mix, things get messed up in a hurry. First and foremost, zooming out from Kerbin reveals that the Kerbin system is smack in the middle of Dolas, Corbo, and Kerbol, all which are just regular yellow stars. Zooming out further shows that Verion is orbiting the Sun (distinct from Kerbol) at approximately Eeloo's average distance. Abaddon and Manai are also orbiting the Sun, but at an altitude of about 6.19E11 and 7.57E11m (as compared to Eeloo's 1.13E11m apohelion). Their speeds also flick back and forth between a normal (for that altitude) velocity and 0.0m/s. I saw that Kerbin-in-stars was mentioned back on page 11, and the advice was to disable all PF:CE systems; I've outright deleted all the PF:CE planets and systems from my Gamedata folder and continue to disable the Sentar expansion on gamelaunch.

Even more interestingly, if I open StarSystem's system.cfg file and replace every instance of the word Kerbol with (let's say) Sol, the three stars are no longer centered around Kerbin. In fact, they're gone entirely. Where the Sun was, is...the Sun. There's no black hole for the stars to orbit around still, either. There are asteroids, some just beyond Kerbin's orbit, and some escaping from twice Manai's orbit.

Seperately, I'm getting some missing textures. Specifically: Abaddon, Fierbinte, Ceti, Manai, _map and _normal .pngs are missing, as are Cyssor, Jamona, Pershina, Verion _normal.pngs are also missing. In their stead is the defaultTexture. Were they pulling textures from the PF:CE files?

This is on a fresh install with no mods installed except StarSystems, and KU2 in the form of PlanetFactory.

Edit: Huh. Setting Manai's referenceBody to be Billy-Hadrick instead of Sun resulted in it and Verion disappearing and Abaddon to pop up centered around Kerbin again; http://i.imgur.com/7tdQywS.png Also, if I forget to disable the Sentar system, they keep popping up anyway even without their data files. Where's it getting that information from, the dll? Also, if I zoom out far enough, the skybox begins to shake. I don't remember it doing that in stock, but I also don't think I could zoom out as far.

Edit 2: Doing another fresh install. Out of the box, StarSystems works fine, so I'll make a post in the KU2 thread in a bit. If I open the system.cfg file in notepad and replace every instance of "Kerbol" with "Sol," then once again Dolas, Corbo, and "Blacky Karman" disappear entirely. Replacing each "Sol" with "Kerbol" brings them back. Also, I'm noticing that that turns "SolarMasses" into "KerbolarMasses," which still somehow works. I restored the system.cfg file from the zip, noted that it said "SolarMasses," and re-adjusted the Sun's name; the other bodies disappeared. Setting it back to Kerbol brought them back, and put the asteroids into orbit around Blacky. Why is "Kerbol" hardcoded into the plugin?

Edited by Hremsfeld

This is genius!

The developers need to see it. After all... 64bit, it was the forums that showed it could be done. Multiplayer was first done with a mod. Resources (I haven't given up hope on a stock version) were developed by modders. Plane parts, wheels, and so on.

So, one can dream that after seeing this, Squad will think about making the game Interstellar and adding new parts way up in the tech tree.

Well, Squad is in the process of doing all those things, but from what I've heard about 0.25, it will mostly be fixes to the planets to make them better, fix and add science, and do more to the contracts system. There is a pinch of a chance that we may see the second Gas Giant added! :D

This is genius!

Don't forget to mention docking!

So, I'm running into some Interesting bugs in x64. With just StarSystems loaded, everything seems to work (I haven't extensively tested it) but when I add KU2 into the mix, things get messed up in a hurry. First and foremost, zooming out from Kerbin reveals that the Kerbin system is smack in the middle of Dolas, Corbo, and Kerbol, all which are just regular yellow stars. Zooming out further shows that Verion is orbiting the Sun (distinct from Kerbol) at approximately Eeloo's average distance. Abaddon and Manai are also orbiting the Sun, but at an altitude of about 6.19E11 and 7.57E11m (as compared to Eeloo's 1.13E11m apohelion). Their speeds also flick back and forth between a normal (for that altitude) velocity and 0.0m/s. I saw that Kerbin-in-stars was mentioned back on page 11, and the advice was to disable all PF:CE systems; I've outright deleted all the PF:CE planets and systems from my Gamedata folder and continue to disable the Sentar expansion on gamelaunch.

Even more interestingly, if I open StarSystem's system.cfg file and replace every instance of the word Kerbol with (let's say) Sol, the three stars are no longer centered around Kerbin. In fact, they're gone entirely. Where the Sun was, is...the Sun. There's no black hole for the stars to orbit around still, either. There are asteroids, some just beyond Kerbin's orbit, and some escaping from twice Manai's orbit.

Seperately, I'm getting some missing textures. Specifically: Abaddon, Fierbinte, Ceti, Manai, _map and _normal .pngs are missing, as are Cyssor, Jamona, Pershina, Verion _normal.pngs are also missing. In their stead is the defaultTexture. Were they pulling textures from the PF:CE files?

This is on a fresh install with no mods installed except StarSystems, and KU2 in the form of PlanetFactory.

Edit: Huh. Setting Manai's referenceBody to be Billy-Hadrick instead of Sun resulted in it and Verion disappearing and Abaddon to pop up centered around Kerbin again; http://i.imgur.com/7tdQywS.png Also, if I forget to disable the Sentar system, they keep popping up anyway even without their data files. Where's it getting that information from, the dll? Also, if I zoom out far enough, the skybox begins to shake. I don't remember it doing that in stock, but I also don't think I could zoom out as far.

Edit 2: Doing another fresh install. Out of the box, StarSystems works fine, so I'll make a post in the KU2 thread in a bit. If I open the system.cfg file in notepad and replace every instance of "Kerbol" with "Sol," then once again Dolas, Corbo, and "Blacky Karman" disappear entirely. Replacing each "Sol" with "Kerbol" brings them back. Also, I'm noticing that that turns "SolarMasses" into "KerbolarMasses," which still somehow works. I restored the system.cfg file from the zip, noted that it said "SolarMasses," and re-adjusted the Sun's name; the other bodies disappeared. Setting it back to Kerbol brought them back, and put the asteroids into orbit around Blacky. Why is "Kerbol" hardcoded into the plugin?

PF doesnt seem to work propperly with the ksp 64bit version. it corrupts an in game list I need, therefore killing my script halfway. As for my config file, there are some hardcoded fallbacks in place, thus changing certain node names will either result in a fallback or will result in the script not passing the checks that are in place and shutting down itself.

Well, Squad is in the process of doing all those things, but from what I've heard about 0.25, it will mostly be fixes to the planets to make them better, fix and add science, and do more to the contracts system. There is a pinch of a chance that we may see the second Gas Giant added! :D

I try to stay up to to date on these types of things, but I have not heard of this. Do you mind linking me your source for this information? :)

PF doesnt seem to work propperly with the ksp 64bit version. it corrupts an in game list I need, therefore killing my script halfway. As for my config file, there are some hardcoded fallbacks in place, thus changing certain node names will either result in a fallback or will result in the script not passing the checks that are in place and shutting down itself.

Dang, I would've liked to be able to rename it "Home" or something after expanding out to the other systems. Or "Lightbulb" before that. Or "Ow-that-thing-is-bright." I guess that kiboshes the "Make PF:CE planets for Corbo and Dolas (started by Megalodon 720)" in the OP, too. Fresh re-install it is, then.

Could there be a few links in the first post to some solar systems with planets in them so that I don't have to comb through 30 pages to find one?

Had you read at least the last 5 pages you would have noticed that this is far from finished and that PF:CE has serious compatibility problems, specially on 64 bits.

How do I edit to get two stars using the same orbit to be opposite or 180 degrees apart?

Use the same orbital parameters except for MeanAnomalyAtEpoch, which should be 3.14 for one of the stars and 0 for another (or any two numbers separated by pi).

Here is the file! Multiple Solar Systems

Let me know if you have installation questions, but everything should be straight forward.

Wait, how do your planets show up orbiting the stars in their current positions? When I took your file and edited/deleted some of the planets into positions that will please me; (deleted to save memory (32-bit)) all the planets don't show up even though I just deleted some of them and edited the orbits of some of them. Any way to counter this?

Wait, how do your planets show up orbiting the stars in their current positions? When I took your file and edited/deleted some of the planets into positions that will please me; (deleted to save memory (32-bit)) all the planets don't show up even though I just deleted some of them and edited the orbits of some of them. Any way to counter this?

You must edit the .system file to remove the planets as well.

Quick update for those interested. Yesterday I made quite some headway in creating stars/planets from scratch instead of instantiating (cloning) them. I managed to get stuff to actually show in game, without errors and without cloning a thing. Still needs a lot of work, but I'm fairly certain it can be pulled off.

@OvenProofMars I have some more bugs to report:

1) Radiators from Interstellar act weird. They seem to line up with the black hole rather than the closest star.

1202732AE1F03AFCF9DD2E554E5600495E1E1D95

2) There are some weird illumination effects and phantom forces in orbits near the black hole.

7221E671DE022705A9AF6A2098AA71C4F34B157E

3) (Dolas-specific) There is an issue where warp drives can't be deactivated near Dolas. I think this is because the game sets the atmosphere boundary where a normal sized star should be. In other words, Dolas has an atmosphere as big as Kerbol's, so space-specific stuff won't work close to Dolas.

E35D1C5F985454E8CF4C35333B8131AC87BF79A4

Use the same orbital parameters except for MeanAnomalyAtEpoch, which should be 3.14 for one of the stars and 0 for another (or any two numbers separated by pi).

Thank you very much, metaphor!

I had problems with Interstellar too, so I am using the Icarus Parts Pack to go interstellar. Here is a quick preview of the series I will be doing this fall!

Deep Space Kerbal! Join the crew of 'Discovery,' the first Icarus Class Star Ship, on their maiden voyage to the stars! Discovery launches Fall 2014.