[0.24] StarSystems v0.2

OvenProofMars

for the time being until you make your own planet API.

Stars are non PQS objects like gas planets while planets with PQS eve duna laythe ect, are incredibly hard to code for modders..

Do you have any plans on dealing with the kraken? I remember when PF was made - and same for RSS - they both have methods to stop the "deep space kraken." Did .23.5 fix the deep space kraken or is this still a problem?

I just looked at the source code, and it is surprisingly easy to add new star colors. I'd like to see Oven make white stars, brown dwarfs (Actually magneta-ish), orange stars, red-brown dwarfs (actually scarlet), dark brown dwarfs (actually purple-ish), blue-white stars, yellow-white stars, and GREEN stars. Yes, I know there are no green stars IRL but IRL there are probably no green gas giants either, so why not?

Nebulae, protostars, and the ability for stars to orbit black holes (I WANT AN ALPHA CENTAURI SYSTEM, BABY!) and the ability to make black holes would be cool too! (These black holes would have a limited SOI though)

Edited by _Augustus_

Do you have any plans on dealing with the kraken? I remember when PF was made - and same for RSS - they both have methods to stop the "deep space kraken." Did .23.5 fix the deep space kraken or is this still a problem?

I do notice some weird behaviour from time to time, and ikerbals reported his ship exploding a few days back. Not sure what exactly is causing it yet. My new star generation methods is solving quite some other bugs I was experiencing so it might also help these issues.

I just looked at the source code, and it is surprisingly easy to add new star colors. I'd like to see Oven make white stars, brown dwarfs (Actually magneta-ish), orange stars, red-brown dwarfs (actually scarlet), dark brown dwarfs (actually purple-ish), blue-white stars, yellow-white stars, and GREEN stars. Yes, I know there are no green stars IRL but IRL there are probably no green gas giants either, so why not?

Nebulae, protostars, and the ability for stars to orbit black holes and the ability to make black holes would be cool too! (These black holes would have a limited SOI though)

Although the methode of changing the star's color is indeed quite simple, actually getting a desirable and good looking star takes quite some fiddling. As there are 6 color parameters that need to be precisely balanced as each color influences the other ones. But I'll add some more colours on the next release. I've been quite swamped at work this week, so I've barely had time to work on the mod. I should have a new version, implementing the new creation methode, star colors and orbit colors somewhere next week.

Although the methode of changing the star's color is indeed quite simple, actually getting a desirable and good looking star takes quite some fiddling. As there are 6 color parameters that need to be precisely balanced as each color influences the other ones. But I'll add some more colours on the next release. I've been quite swamped at work this week, so I've barely had time to work on the mod. I should have a new version, implementing the new creation methode, star colors and orbit colors somewhere next week.

Thanks! Brown dwarf stars do not actually have any coronas, as they are technically just gas giants with the ability to fuse deuterium that generally do not orbit a star. They do however emit a low amount of light. Would you like any help with designing the textures?

I also would really appreciate some sort of anti-corruption thing that allows compatibility with PF, as it seems that the new planet creators won't be finished for a while.

Although I can't prevent PF:CE from corrupting the list, I think I can access the information through different means. I'll make sure to include this (if possible) in the next update.

Thanks! Brown dwarf stars do not actually have any coronas, as they are technically just gas giants with the ability to fuse deuterium that generally do not orbit a star. They do however emit a low amount of light. Would you like any help with designing the textures?

I'm indeed still using the stock sun texture for the shader. This texture is basically a noise pattern in different colors. If you know how to extract the original from the assets you could make a few variations for me if you want.

Yay! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYA THANK YOU SO MUCH

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying you can get it to work properly with PFCE or...?

Well, I think I can avoid using the list that PF:CE corrupts on the 64bit client, thus preventing my script from stopping halfway. This should in theory allow both my mod and PF:CE to fully load. Whether or not there would be any other issues I can't say for now.

I MADE A GREEN ONE :D

I also just made a brown dwarf corona.

I recommend you make a separate star type for brown dwarves and red-brown dwarves, by the way, because they are drastically different and have no sunspots, as well as emitting MUCH less light even though they are fairly large.

I can't seem to make any white or white-ish stars, though.

Finished Corona List

========

Brown

Green

Red-Brown

Orange

I PM'ed you the link to the textures by the way, Oven.

Edited by _Augustus_

I MADE A GREEN ONE :D

I also just made a brown dwarf corona.

I recommend you make a separate star type for brown dwarves, by the way.

Just made an orange corona. For some reason my coronas use much less memory than yours, even though they are the same size and have the same detail.

Green stars are awesome! I always wanted a green star to exist, though they don't because of the black body effect...Either way, really excited to see even more star colors.

Green stars are awesome! I always wanted a green star to exist, though they don't because of the black body effect...Either way, really excited to see even more star colors.

I've been thinking; green stars do exist, but are not experienced as green stars due to how our eyes process colours. A star which has most of its emitted light being in the green part of the spectrum will still be viewed as white because our eyes also pick up the blue and red parts it emits. HOWEVER, KSP is a game experienced through the eyes of the Kerbal race, it is not unreasonable to assume their eyes work different than our own, and could possibly distinguish the color intensities far better, thus being able to actually perceive green stars as green :P

Edited by OvenProofMars

I've been thinking; green stars do exist, but are not experienced as green stars due to how our eyes process colours. A star which has most of its emitted light being in the green part of the spectrum will still be viewed as white because our eyes also pick up the blue and red parts it emits. HOWEVER, KSP is a game experienced through the eyes of the Kerbal race, it is not unreasonable to assume their eyes work different than our own, and could possibly distinguish the color intensities far better, thus being able to actually perceive green stars as green :P

GENIUS! Did you download the coronas? I sent you a PM

Also add me as a friend! I'd like to be an assistant developer for StarSystems.

This is "sorta" correct. In fact, by this definition, our Sun is a green star. However, stars are nearly perfect "black bodies"--so they never really look green due to the way black body radiation works. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation

/just a pedantic drive-by post

//sorry

///love this mod

Edited by MinorInconvenience
can't spel gud

This is "sorta" correct. In fact, by this definition, our Sun is a green star. However, stars are nearly perfect "black bodies"--so they never really look green due to the way black body radiation works. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation

/just a pedantic drive-by post

//sorry

///love this mod

Black body radiation merely describes the wavelengths of emr a heated object emits. And in that sense our sun would be considered yellow-green, as its intensity peaks at the wavelengths associated with yellow and green. Color however, in the more metaphysical sense of the word, is in the eye of the beholder (no pun untended), and is merely the interpretation of electrical signals created by our eyes. Our eyes are incapable of properly measuring light, and we therefore experience the sun to be white/yellow......well long story short....colours are weird...

I've installed several mods into KSP 0.24.2 x64 bit but I've been having a problem where upon launching a vessel onto the runway or launchpad, it launches it several 100 km into orbit. It still says at KSC launchpad in map mode though but it's in space. I've narrowed it down to this mod that's causing this issue.

Cheers.

More info can be provided if needed.

I've installed several mods into KSP 0.24.2 x64 bit but I've been having a problem where upon launching a vessel onto the runway or launchpad, it launches it several 100 km into orbit. It still says at KSC launchpad in map mode though but it's in space. I've narrowed it down to this mod that's causing this issue.

Cheers.

More info can be provided if needed.

Yeah, i'm aware of this bug. Its some sort of side effect from my savegame fixer. It can be avoided by going to the tracking station before launching your first vessel after loading a save game.