[0.24] StarSystems v0.2

OvenProofMars

With planetfactory and this mod, could I recreate the Abaddon star system using this mod?

Also, how can I get rid of the stock blue and red stars? I want to make space for my own stars.

I'm not familliar with the Abbaddon Star system, but together with PF:CE you should be able to create any system. As for changing or deleting the two stars I added, there is a config file named starnames which you can edit.

Seems awesome. If you could include the option to add planets and moons within the same mod, it would be huge, as Planet Factory seems kinda dead and abandoned at the moment. One question: would it be possible for other stars to orbit the "black hole" on different planes? IMHO it would vastly improve believability if they were not orbiting on the same plane.

Having my mod handle planets as well is not out of the question, however planets are a lot more complex the the variety of PQS attributes. Getting up to a level of PF:CE would take a long time. What do you mean by "plane"? I purposfully left their relative inclination low for easy travel. You can change it in the config file if you want.

- - - Updated - - -

The spelling is wrong is supposed to be saVegames not safegames

:P

lol, i'm a tard :P

Uh is there any difference between PF:CE and this mod?

yes, allthough PF:CE can create stars as well, they can only orbit in the Kerbol system itself, emit no light and only come in the flavor yellow. This mod will allow for actual star systems with different color stars for which al the starlight stuff actually works.

yes, allthough PF:CE can create stars as well, they can only orbit in the Kerbol system itself, emit no light and only come in the flavor yellow. This mod will allow for actual star systems with different color stars for which al the starlight stuff actually works.

Can I have Planets from PF:CE?

Having my mod handle planets as well is not out of the question, however planets are a lot more complex the the variety of PQS attributes. Getting up to a level of PF:CE would take a long time.

I see. Let's hope people manage to keep Planet Factory alive then.

What do you mean by "plane"? I purposfully left their relative inclination low for easy travel. You can change it in the config file if you want.

I meant that the real-life solar neighborhood is not exactly a flat surface (

), and as I'm one of the realism-oriented players, I'd like to customize the other stars to be in more believable positions relative to kerbol. If that can be achieved through config, that's great and exactly what I wanted. I wasn't asking you to make any changes to your default configuration, just wanted to know if your mod could handle such an option ;)

Yesyesyesyesyes! Interstellar has been begging for a mod like this. I thank you. <3

A question! How compatible is the system with Interstellar's IR telescope? One of its missions is to be put in a stable orbit around kerbol with a periapsis above 550 GM (way beyond Eeloo), but if Kerbol's SoI is smaller than this, that might become a problem - unless you're just supposed to put the telescope in orbit aroumd the black hole instead? :)

Also, I read on your reddit thread that the game kinda goes ??? when a mission's time goes above 2^31 seconds. Was there a way to circumvent this so we can have longer distances and more stars? o:

This isn't supposed to happen. Are you sure that this and PlanetFactory are compatible?

This is Kerbin being merged with Etaria and Sanctum.

http://i.imgur.com/OM5SUZB.png

Zoom out a little and...

http://i.imgur.com/vnlPjXS.png

And to top it all off.

http://i.imgur.com/Wm8ro1B.png

Yeah, this might be due to the fixes I implemented. I really should've tested it more. I will revert to the stable version I had for 0.23.5 and start from there again. Going to work on it now.

Yesyesyesyesyes! Interstellar has been begging for a mod like this. I thank you. <3

A question! How compatible is the system with Interstellar's IR telescope? One of its missions is to be put in a stable orbit around kerbol with a periapsis above 550 GM (way beyond Eeloo), but if Kerbol's SoI is smaller than this, that might become a problem - unless you're just supposed to put the telescope in orbit aroumd the black hole instead? :)

Also, I read on your reddit thread that the game kinda goes ??? when a mission's time goes above 2^31 seconds. Was there a way to circumvent this so we can have longer distances and more stars? o:

I never got the iR telescope to work in my normal game so I wouldn't realy know tbh, allthough I did balance the black hole's mass and Kerbol's SMA so Kerbol's SOI extends beyond Eeloo. As for the missions times, the stars revolve around the black hole in around 100 years, so it takes around 50 years to get there using traditional means.

I see. Let's hope people manage to keep Planet Factory alive then.

I meant that the real-life solar neighborhood is not exactly a flat surface (

), and as I'm one of the realism-oriented players, I'd like to customize the other stars to be in more believable positions relative to kerbol. If that can be achieved through config, that's great and exactly what I wanted. I wasn't asking you to make any changes to your default configuration, just wanted to know if your mod could handle such an option ;)

Although the real neighbouring stars seem to be on vastly different planes, their relative inclination to the center of our milky way is probably within one degree. Most of the universe's structures are either completely round (stars, planets, old galaxies) or flat disks (star systems, galaxies. The latter is due to the fact that any system will preserve any rotational energy but will allways have one plane with more directional energy, resulting in a flat shape over the course of time due to collisions.

I've been trying the mod out and it appears that there is a problem with the SOIs of certain objects, namely Kerbol. even in hairs distance of Dolas or Corbo it still says the craft is in the SOI of Kerbol

Weirdest of all is that I have the Kethane mod installed and I can actually scan these new stars... at the corona

Edited by Spearka

I've been trying the mod out and it appears that there is a problem with the SOIs of certain objects, namely Kerbol. even in hairs distance of Dolas or Corbo it still says the craft is in the SOI of Kerbol

Weirdest of all is that I have the Kethane mod installed and I can actually scan these new stars... at the corona

Yes the current version apparantly has some problems. I tried disabling the dirty savegamefix and vesselfix and it seems to work fine again....apart form the fact that it now eats ships like crazy again :P without the fixes even PF:CE planets seem to load, allthough I did notice some odd behaviour, not sure if its PF:CE on 0.24 or PF:CE in combination with my mod. I'll upload the version without the fixes that should work fine on 0.23.5 and 0.24, but I wouldn't use it for anything else but testing, as it will eat any ship in a low orbit around a planet.

That's not really true as most galaxies are actually irregular in shape. Though irregular is really just a big sphere of stars so I suppose it sticks to the round universe idea. Anyway, this mod is really made for KSPI so inclination doesn't matter much. You say within one degree of the galaxy core but think how much one degree means thousands of light years away, it adds up to at least a few light years difference up/down relative to our sun. Now in my opinion that doesn't really matter compared to the advantage of actually having more stars with their own planets rather than add a ridiculous amount of planets and moons to poor old Kerbol. It would be nice if you manage to make this supersede PF:CE since that isn't being maintained anymore.

I hope, there will be more colors, or custom colors,and shape :I .

I will add more colours, but custom colors might be a bit hard, as you need to balance like 6 color parameters very carefully to even make it look half decent. As for shape...did you have anything else but spherical in mind?

That's not really true as most galaxies are actually irregular in shape. Though irregular is really just a big sphere of stars so I suppose it sticks to the round universe idea. Anyway, this mod is really made for KSPI so inclination doesn't matter much. You say within one degree of the galaxy core but think how much one degree means thousands of light years away, it adds up to at least a few light years difference up/down relative to our sun. Now in my opinion that doesn't really matter compared to the advantage of actually having more stars with their own planets rather than add a ridiculous amount of planets and moons to poor old Kerbol. It would be nice if you manage to make this supersede PF:CE since that isn't being maintained anymore.

Apart from ancient galaxies and colliding galaxies all known galaxies are perfectly flat spirals as far as I know. But yeah, even a few percent of a degree on cosmic scaled distances will result in ludacrus numbers. I really would've like to be able to place the stars even further apart from the black hole but unfortunately the core game mechanics seem to break down if I increase the distances much further. As for PF:CE, I think I could make some custom planets myself, but giving people the amount of customization options PF:CE has will be very hard.