Why multiplayer needs to be the last addition squad implements in KSP.

As the title states I do believe that it would be in squads best interest to complete the alpha stage of KSP with the addition of multiplayer. Currently and in the past many new players would download the game and if they dislike the current state of the game it would be very rare for them to give it a second look later down the line. People don't tend to make the connection that an alpha game is something that will be much more refined once fully completed. This rough uncut version of KSP is still beautiful, but if squad wants to reap the rewards of this excellent piece of art they will also need to recognize that new customer base will come and a portion (however sad) will leave. The greatest addition of players needs to come at a point when not only the game is closest to completion but in a time when the community will be thriving. I believe the addition of multiplayer would be ideal for this. It would bring many more players that want to play together combined with everyone in this excellent community begging their friends to play with them. This would bring many new people into a complete bug free version of the game. Also with the addition of multiplayer connections through the community would skyrocket. All of this word of mouth would essentially be free advertising for KSP, which could come at no better time than the end of the alpha stage. I fear squad may jump the gun and implement multiplayer before all the seams are ironed out which could actually lead to a significant amount of people leaving who may not have left if the game was finely polished. I know that all of you reading this love KSP but the simple fact is that not everyone does. I just want as many people as possible to find Kerbal Space Program and I want them to enjoy themselves, go on to create challenges for each other, learn a bit of rocket science on the way, and add to the game whether that be through a youtube series or a great mod.

I understand many of you want multiplayer ASAP but I hope all of you should come to realize that making this game the best it can be is really the most amazing thing that can be done for the community. Expanding a great community would only improve KSP.

I am not saying that squad should quit adding onto the game after completion, but as far as features go I do believe multiplayer should be the capstone.

Also this is an opinion. If you disagree feel free to suggest alternative ideas you think may work even better :)

Edited by mstrfalco

I have to agree with you on this. However the fact that 0.24 is close to "Scope Complete" makes me doubt there will be many massive changes before then. That then means that anyone who plays and leaves now will most likely do so when we reach Scope Complete. That might mean that it doesn't really make a difference whether you put multilayer in now or in a couple of updates time.

Then again, that argument is based on the assumption that there will not be any more game-changing updates until scope complete.

Moved to Development Discussion. Please take more care where you post threads.

And as a reminder: Multiplayer features have oft been asked for in the past; arguments are quite frequent when the discussion arises. Keep this civil, please.

JFWIW, I personally don't see the point of a multiplayer version of KSP, and would prefer to see other bits of the game expanded/improved first (eg, aerodynamics). It would be interesting to see whether there's just a vocal minority wanting multiplayer, or whether it is indeed a significant proportion of players requesting this feature. Just my 2p.

Players are much more likely to try and get their friends involved in the game if they can play together though, so there is that to think about. And the current game offers more than enough content to play with before they would get bored or put off from it. I can't imagine KSP changing so much that someone who doesn't like it now would like it later.

And from a programming perspective, implementing a multiplayer gets harder and harder as the development of a game goes on, because new elements and components may not have been designed in such a way that makes the information they contain easy to send, receive, and sync. So parts might have to be redone and restructured.

Edited by Strikerklm96

Players are much more likely to try and get their friends involved in the game if they can play together though, so there is that to think about.

Perhaps; perhaps not. For you that might be the case; for myself it's not. Please don't take it as me dissing multiplayer per se, I just disagree with the sentiment that it's the single most important feature for the next release. Which is why it might be useful for someone to take an impartial poll to see for which percentage of the player base this is an important feature, how many think it's "nice to have", and how many aren't interested at all. The difficulty will be getting people who -aren't- interested to voice their opinion to get a full picture.

Perhaps do this for all outstanding major feature requests from the community, that way Squad gets a more realistic picture of what their audience is interested in and which feature(s) to prioritise, above and beyond their own internal schedule.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.