Can't harvester just remove the kraken?

Clockwork13

There are many krakens, each presumably arising from certain rather complex interactions.

Each kraken is an entirely different game destroying bugs though. I don't even know what the guys at SQUAD are doing to their physics engine to make it turn into a nest of krakens waiting to feed on the souls of innocent kerbals.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's more of a Unity thing than a KSP thing. It'd probably be pretty hard to fix. It's not even that significant anyway. There are more important things to do.

I guess, but I've come across a few krakens that ruined my experience.

I think it's more of a Unity thing than a KSP thing. It'd probably be pretty hard to fix. It's not even that significant anyway. There are more important things to do.

Yeah, the Kraken is an innate part of PhysX and how it's used for KSP (that isn't to say it's an intended feature, because it's not). Yes, it's a bug and they've already removed several mutations on the original Kraken, but you can never get 100% of the bugs, sadly.

Each kraken is an entirely different game destroying bugs though. I don't even know what the guys at SQUAD are doing to their physics engine to make it turn into a nest of krakens waiting to feed on the souls of innocent kerbals.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess, but I've come across a few krakens that ruined my experience.

Well, they DID write their own orbital mechanics. Probably full of bugs within that

lol if only game designers would just delete the bugs, then the games would be perfect!

Edit: OH HO 3 rep bars! IM SO COOL

Edited by r4pt0r

you can never get 100% of the bugs, sadly.

Oh really? Cause I know a game dev who uses the same physics engine and has gotten rid of his krakens a long time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

And while they're at it why don't they just finish the game by tomorrow?

Excellent idea! We just need 20 tons of coffee and were set!

Yes, really. As sad as it may sound, there will always be bugs in software written by humans. Get over it.

You removed the part that said "Cause I know a game dev who uses the same physics engine and has gotten rid of his krakens a long time ago."

Yes, really. As sad as it may sound, there will always be bugs in software written by humans. Get over it.

well, you can make mathematical proof that there is no bug in a script(you use another script to help you, it's too hard to make it by hand) but it extremely complex and difficult; people who use that usually use that for important programs and only for the "core" of the program.

You removed the part that said "Cause I know a game dev who uses the same physics engine and has gotten rid of his krakens a long time ago."

Yes, and I would have done the same because there are exactly two reasons a game dev - or any other software developer - would claim their application is 100% bug-free:

1. The programme is so trivial it doesn't do much.

2. They're lying.

A good programmer wouldn't make that claim.

Yes, and I would have done the same because there are exactly two reasons a game dev - or any other software developer - would claim their application is 100% bug-free:

1. The programme is so trivial it doesn't do much.

2. They're lying.

^^This^^ All day long.

The original "kraken" was fixed, but the fandom has come to use the term to refer to any ship-damaging or otherwise violent bug.

Oh really? Cause I know a game dev who uses the same physics engine and has gotten rid of his krakens a long time ago.
Is he developing a game with an environment that's over a hundred billion metres wide? Because that's the root cause of many of the physics bugs in KSP: Unity was not developed with anywhere near the scale of realistic solar systems in mind. Even with the tenfold shrink the Kerbol system is still huge.

I would like to clarify a couple things, because they seem to have been entirely overlooked.

First, the original Deep Space Kraken bug cannot be "fixed" or "removed". It is an artefact of floating-point errors; read up on those. It's an unavoidable consequence of using binary to represent non-integer numbers -- you can only go to so much accuracy with only two digits to work with in the underlying machine. While a workaround is in place and working just fine, you may still notice the more minor effects messing up orbits with initial velocities under 750ms-1.

Second, what do you actually mean by "the Kraken"? So many people just slap that name on every damned bug they can find. And it's silly, it makes it harder to keep track of which bugs are which, and makes it confusing to even try to talk about. There are always bugs in non-trivial software. Always. They mightn't show for years until the right conditions strike, but to make an immensely complex piece of software and not have a hundred thousand bugs in it? That'd be nothing short of a miracle.

First, the original Deep Space Kraken bug cannot be "fixed" or "removed". It is an artefact of floating-point errors; read up on those. It's an unavoidable consequence of using binary to represent non-integer numbers -- you can only go to so much accuracy with only two digits to work with in the underlying machine. While a workaround is in place and working just fine, you may still notice the more minor effects messing up orbits with initial velocities under 750ms-1.

I know it's semantics, but within the limitations of Unity/PhysX, I would call it a fix. If anyone is interested, the Krakensbane post is here...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/12-Krakensbane

One does not just walk into KSP and remove the Kraken.

When you look into the Kraken, the Kraken looks back.

Harvester used to kill Krakens, then he took an arrow to the knee.

Harvester doesn't always let the Kraken live, but when he does he drinks responsibly.