What Is Your Finanical Status?

NASAFanboy

Might or might not have something to do with my penny pinching ways... OTOH, getting a surface sample from Eve may be difficult. I've never attempted to land there, much less return.

I've never done a return mission from Eve. It's got a crazy delta-v requirement and even in 0.23.5, you could complete the science tree with Kerbin, Minmus and the Mun so my motivation to build some crazy 12km/sec launcher that can be sent to Eve is kinda low... :/

I've held back till I finished Mun Minmus now getting ready to hed out to duna. 3 ships in LKO awaiting trans windo and I have a mere 83608. I know once I get back I'll have a lot more and I did waste some getting an SSTO drone working for LKO rescue still not far through the tree as I'm taking my time enjoying the buget strain. So to those complaining about it being to rewarding $$ wise I ask ....Have you been real about tests or did you revert ?

I now find crashing drones to be an expensie and amusing passtime :D After all who dosn't like spending money friverlously

I agree it's kinda "easy" at the moment. I've got about 1m surplus and I've barely played.

Seems you get repeats of the same test part missions a lot as well. I'll be playing my Career save as a sort of Sandbox mode anyways, so I can see myself needing a lot of cash eventually :P

I've made 4 ships.

• I started slow, just getting to orbit and had roughly $110,000 doing basic test missions while unlocking some science nodes. I think I did something like 10 contracts in the first day of game time, culminating in getting to orbit.
  • Did a big 4 contract missions to land on the Mun. Jumped from $110k to $270k. My Mun-capable rocket costs roughly 50k a shot.
  • I had a rather bad failed mission which dropped me down to $220k.
  • Then I did a nice mission back to the Mun for science, planting a flag, and getting back. Jumped to $510k.
  • I just did a big mission to Minmus, clearing a couple contracts and getting up to about $700k.

I don't think its too hard to make money, but at the same time it seems you have to be consistently making new milestones. Failures can put a pretty big dent in your budget.

Which can be a bit realistic. Meters versus feet and all that.

I started a new career with part prices tripled. Should make things interesting...

Module Manager config:

@PART[*]:FINAL

{

@cost *= 3

}

They should make this standard, like

a) Pick game mode (Career, Sandbox, Science) ...picked 'Career'

B) Pick difficulty level for 'Career' (Easy = normal funds, Challenging = twice cost, Hard = triple cost)

c) Can also be applied if you choose 'Science'... (Easy = normal science points, Challenging = div by 2, Hard = div by 3)

And oh, to get back on topic, my current funds are 480,000+, just after 4-5 missions.

Edited by rodion_herrera

Might or might not have something to do with my penny pinching ways... OTOH, getting a surface sample from Eve may be difficult. I've never attempted to land there, much less return.

Landing on Eve and taking a surface sample / planting a flag isn´t difficult ...

you could also transmit the data back home, which probably would fulfill the conract requirements ...

returning on the other hand

:D

Landing on Eve and taking a surface sample / planting a flag isn´t difficult ...

you could also transmit the data back home, which probably would fulfill the conract requirements ...

returning on the other hand

:D

See below.

Ahhh... I'm running through this play through without transmitting anything. I like the extra challenge of bringing everything back to KSC.

I have over 5 million funds now. I think for an experienced player like me, it IS pretty easy. But one has to realize that many of us know what we're doing. And even then there were a few (very few) contracts it took me enough tries to complete the contract that I took a loss on it. But other people may have a lot harder time, whether that is making more expensive and more inefficient ships, killing kerbals and thus hurting reputation, and/or crashing or otherwise failing contracts.

I have over 3 million now. I have a space station around Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, and on Duna for unlimited funds really. Need a flag on Duna again? Mike Kerman just turns off his soap opera and hops out to plant another flag.

Most of my funds go to tests of my own that give zero back.

As suggested earlier, career mode levels ranging from "easy" to "veteran" are an obvious tweak for new versions. I also think that Squad will gather a lot of feedback to see how career mode is played and what the community feedback is. After just a few days of playing (which makes you wonder who was playtesting this) a few shortcomings (IMHO) have come up:

• Temporary unlocked parts for contracts sounds cute, but is open for abuse. Instead of trying desperately to unlock Mainsail technology you just don't close out the contract that unlocks it, for instance
  • The “gather science†contracts are way too easy. They should appear less frequent, or the science mission should be as in real life: “we want you to take this box into orbit, do stuff with it, and bring it back.†A science mission where you get an “experiment†loaded onto you craft, then have to transfer it to a lab at a specific location, process it, and then return it to Kerbin would be... awesome
  • The procedural generation of contracts needs to be tweaked. Testing a TT-18 launch tower on the Mun or an LFB KRB 1x2 booster in orbit doesn't quite make sense
  • The rate at which contracts are generated is way too high for CDO* people like me who never get to go to the Mun as they’re too busy cleaning out contracts

But I'm sure that's where development will be for the coming versions.

* Yes, some of you write it “OCD†but I can’t stand letters being out of alphabetical order.

Obtaining funds is not difficult.

Send a probe to Kerbin's orbit to transmit Kerbin's temperature science for 50k contract ~ 10 seconds to complete, spammable.

Send a probe to Mun's orbit to transmit Mun's temperature science for 90k contract ~ 10 seconds to complete, spammable.

Send a probe to Duna's orbit to transmit Duna's temperature science for 220k contract ~ 10 seconds to complete, spammable.

You get the idea...

As soon as you complete the contract visit the contract building and pick it up again, return to your ship via tracking station, and do it again until your happy w. your funds.

You can reach your fund cap in matter of minutes and minimal effort, the further the planet the more rewarding the contract.

So spare me on the "im experienced and i know how to obtain $".

Edited by protoz

Currently at 2.2 million after about twenty contracts. Been to the Mun, but not to Minmus yet. Over a third of that came from a single mission, a request to test the LFB KRB 1x2 booster in Kerbin orbit. A little difficult because you can't stack it on top of anything, but I was able to fit two radially around some 2.5 meter tanks with a mainsail and lots of SRBs. It helped a lot that I emptied out 90% of the fuel in the LFBs before launch.

Obtaining funds is not difficult.

Send a probe to Kerbin's orbit to transmit Kerbin's temperature science for 50k contract ~ 10 seconds to complete, spammable.

Send a probe to Mun's orbit to transmit Mun's temperature science for 90k contract ~ 10 seconds to complete, spammable.

Send a probe to Duna's orbit to transmit Duna's temperature science for 220k contract ~ 10 seconds to complete, spammable.

You get the idea...

As soon as you complete the contract visit the contract building and pick it up again, return to your ship via tracking station, and do it again until your happy w. your funds.

You can reach your fund cap in matter of minutes and minimal effort, the further the planet the more rewarding the contract.

So spare me on the "im experienced and i know how to obtain $".

Yes, found this myself, leave a probe, a solar panel an thermometer and a antenna in orbit.

If you want to do real science use a recoverable lander.

Just dipped below 2 million because of the 300 k kethane miner.

Did some innovative stuff like the kethane mined had a mainsail engine at bottom docking port to increase TWR during gravity turn, normally I would have dropped it before circulating however as I'm asked to test it around Mun I put probe and docking port on it so I will take it to Mun later, will probably take it back to LKO as I guess I get an Minmus test with it too.

Currently at 2.2 million after about twenty contracts. Been to the Mun, but not to Minmus yet. Over a third of that came from a single mission, a request to test the LFB KRB 1x2 booster in Kerbin orbit. A little difficult because you can't stack it on top of anything, but I was able to fit two radially around some 2.5 meter tanks with a mainsail and lots of SRBs. It helped a lot that I emptied out 90% of the fuel in the LFBs before launch.

I have that too, I hoped I could just, disable engine and stage it again but that don't work even if it has worked on other engines.

3.2 mil, of which the last 1.5 mil or so was earned by two contracts combined in 1 mission. Planting a flag on gilly while at the same time gather science around gilly. Kerbal made it home safely, and only spend the "advance" money on the rocket. It feels quite easy, but, I've played as of KSP 0.16

As for the LFB KRB 1x2 around Kerbin. I did that as with the thing reversed on front of the nose of a rocket. Directly acted as "putting me on a suborbit" without needing to turn around :-) With 90% of the fuel removed, it was quite easy to lift.

I have 7.8m at the moment but haven't taken any contracts for a while.

The main cash cow for me is a small satellite (yes they are useful now!!) thats made up from:

Probadabadyne QBE x1

Z-100 Battery Pack x2

OX-4L 1x6 Solar pannels x1

Commuotron 16 x1

2Hot Thermometer x1

I have them in orbit around Kerbin, Mün & Minmus. Just sent them to Duna & Ike and Eve & Gilly though the Gilly one was a pain as it has to be below 6km and the game deleted it when I swapped to another vessel.

Take the contracts for transmit science, swap to satellite and I have the thermometer hot keyed. Click, then click again for lots of money for a craft already there. For the home systems it cost me 12k in total for launch vehicle and satellite, of which you get 12k advance and 30k, 60k & 78k for completion of Kerbin, Mün & Minmus.

Currently have a fleet of the heading to Jool, not contracted to but once they're there I should get them. Considering sending one to eloo to see what that pays out :)

Its the way NASA & ESA work (regular small contracts) so its good enough for Polstar Space too ;)

Edited by Polstar
Typo

As for the LFB KRB 1x2 around Kerbin. I did that as with the thing reversed on front of the nose of a rocket. Directly acted as "putting me on a suborbit" without needing to turn around :-) With 90% of the fuel removed, it was quite easy to lift.

I'm not saying they can't be done. With few exceptions (the TT-18 on extra-Kerbal locations) everything is possible. But that doesn't mean it makes sense. Testing heavy boosters in space? Staging splashed down atmostpheric engines? Testing any splashed down engine, come to think of it... One can argue "it makes for wacky configurations and that's so Kerbal LOLZ!" but I think that some sanity, even by Kerbin standards, would be nice.

• The “gather science†contracts are way too easy. They should appear less frequent, or the science mission should be as in real life: “we want you to take this box into orbit, do stuff with it, and bring it back.†A science mission where you get an “experiment†loaded onto you craft, then have to transfer it to a lab at a specific location, process it, and then return it to Kerbin would be... awesome

I absolutely like the idea of having to carry scientific payload for missions, parts of varying sizes and attachment points, to be able to do the mission. I agree that a lot of the current missions can be exploited and that will stop part of it.

Edit:

Thinking about it even the 'plant a flag' missions can be exploited ... just maroon a kerbal on Mun, Minmus etc. who plants forrests of flags.

Edited by DocMoriarty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.