Taking a break from this bugged game

CaelumEtAstra

Let's look at something with a slightly bigger budget than KSP: Microsoft Windows. Microsoft Windows, as opposed to KSP, is a finished product. And the third parties, people like Symantec writing Backup Exec, instead of being people who work on mods in their spare time, literally make a living from the additional features they offer the OS.

So when a new Windows release comes out, and Symantec takes over two and a half years to release a version that even pretends to work under Windows 2012, we see a business world comparison to what you're complaining about. Except in most cases, modders manage to get home from work and update their mods in 1-2 days. They didn't even have to buy their users an Audi R8 to take attention away from their development incompetence.

In short, I'm not seeing anything to be mad about.

I think the update is great and largely the contracts have been great. That said, I have experience a few bugs and a few quirks.

1. "Impossible contracts" I haven't seen a clamp contract on another body yet, but I have seen plenty involving testing something during flight or while splashed down. While none of these are impossible, testing some of them will be too expensive for the small return unless you can somehow build it into your next big mission.

2. Because of the low payment on many testing contracts, I usually don't take them. The only time I take them is while they need to be testing landed on the pad.

3. I had one really annoying bug quicksaving with Jeb on EVA on Minmus. When I'd reload the save, he's suddenly be mid jump and impact with Minmus and die. It was really annoying. I had installed hyperedit last update and was able to use it to quickly reload, pause, teleport him to the pod before he died. The only way I could do this stock would have been editing the quicksave file.

4. I had another slightly annoying bug where my right mousebutton stopped working for anything while playing KSP and stayed that way the whole time KSP was up.

With respect, I think its silly to rage quit over it. This was a huge update altering a lot. There will be some polishing that will kill some of the kinks. We're rushing towards a feature complete game. By my count, multiplayer is one of the things on that list. I promise there will be some bugs to that...

Now I need to figure out how to submit a bug report again, its been a while.

0.24 came with a lot of bugs... and still have ones introduced with 0.23.5... KSP is turning into a giant bugball.. devs should launch a 0.25 without any new feature, and without bugs too... stop doing meaningless "carrer" things and start squishing the bugs... pls... I beg... I can't even imagine multiplayer... if it comes with cumulative bugs from 0.22, 0.23, 0.23.5, 0.24... :P

When did we start announcing breaks? I thought overdosing on Kerbal combined with random breaks was part of normal gameplay? :)

the twitter generation. Overblown sense of self importance, thinking everyone and the world is completely absorbed by what they're thinking.

Hey guys, don't pile on the OP. He's just found himself invested in the game, had a QQ moment and thought about venting that hot gas on the forums. He'll be back. They always come back. *cackles*

Dude, what part of "early access", "alpha", and "mod" do you not understand? Until Squad says KSP is a "finished product" and starts working on KSP 2, you should EXPECT fundamental changes with each update.

Where can I sign up for ksp2? :wink: I also experienced a game breaking crash... While trying mods that we're not explicitly for .24. I did a fresh install and I'm going to play stock until the mods catch up. Problem solved.

Although I'm not involved in a space program, this accurately reflects the type of contract that often comes my way in some areas. I will refer to this as a realism feature :)

That's how I'm looking at it.

After accepting a contract to test something (I forget what) at 6000-9000m and 390m/s-700m/s I've been reading a bit more closely, much like real contracts.

The text description isn't that far off sometimes either!

EDIT:

Having used Windows 95, which was a full release completed not cheap piece of software that crashed easily as often as stock KSP, I am not complaining about KSP.

That said, the fact that I play Dwarf Fortress, including the painfully not-exactly-even-alpha super new releases with wild bugs (yay 0.40.1/2/3!) and love it should tell you something.

Edited by Bobnova

How can you ragequit from such a game??? Imagine Von Braun ragequitting after Redstone and Atlas rockets blew up during testing faster than a machine gun can fire? You would have no FASA mod!!!! And the Moon probably painted red..

Yeah.. the game crashes.. a lot.. for me.. once almost every 5 minutes.. will be a loooooooong trip to Duna..

I try to enjoy the new features of the game and I am confident that most bugs will be solved by Squad and the modders.

I could try to play stock, but then, 50% of the fun is gone.. With mods and crashing, 30% of fun is gone.. I guess for the time, I'll have to do with mods and crashing as it makes logical sense..

I could try to play stock, but then, 50% of the fun is gone.. With mods and crashing, 30% of fun is gone.. I guess for the time, I'll have to do with mods and crashing as it makes logical sense..

I guess you like looking at loading screens for a longer time than you actually get to play, stock isn't that bad, I promise you at least wait for the mods to update before claiming that it makes 'logical sense', if you switch to stock there is nothing stopping you adding mods when they become comparable with the game, it's like using NOS on a tricycle, sure the tricycle explodes and you have to buy a new one every time, but we go fast so what does it matter?!.

I will applaud you for saying that at least 30% of the fun is gone. I just can't comprehend how you could enjoy a dysfunctional, broken mess of a game! When you could play stock, you still have over 80 parts IIRC and multiple gameplay features and the game won't crash every 5 minutes!. And if you just can't bare to look at stock, we'll try using some mods that are actually updated for 0.24.

P.S: I may be wrong on this, but I think logical sense is grammatically incorrect.

I guess you like looking at loading screens for a longer time than you actually get to play, stock isn't that bad, I promise you at least wait for the mods to update before claiming that it makes 'logical sense', if you switch to stock there is nothing stopping you adding mods when they become comparable with the game, it's like using NOS on a tricycle, sure the tricycle explodes and you have to buy a new one every time, but we go fast so what does it matter?!.

I will applaud you for saying that at least 30% of the fun is gone. I just can't comprehend how you could enjoy a dysfunctional, broken mess of a game! When you could play stock, you still have over 80 parts IIRC and multiple gameplay features and the game won't crash every 5 minutes!. And if you just can't bare to look at stock, we'll try using some mods that are actually updated for 0.24.

P.S: I may be wrong on this, but I think logical sense is grammatically incorrect.

Because I am also compiling the crash logs and when I decide is the time.. 1-2 days, i'll send them to the modders. Hope it will help them. And I am not playing a dysfunctional game.. I am playing beta. If the release will be like this.. well.. then I'll RAGE!!!

Because I am also compiling the crash logs and when I decide is the time.. 1-2 days, i'll send them to the modders. Hope it will help them. And I am not playing a dysfunctional game.. I am playing beta. If the release will be like this.. well.. then I'll RAGE!!!

Ok then fair enough.

I've got to say Solar System, you're getting worked up a bit too much.

Any modder will face disappointment and dissatisfaction at a new update. Just stick with the game and people will update the mods. Simple as that.

Happy KSPing!

0.24 came with a lot of bugs... and still have ones introduced with 0.23.5... KSP is turning into a giant bugball...

Thank you for all those carefully documented bug reports. With assistance like this Squad will be able to eliminate every bug in the universe - then home for tea and cakes, hoorah!

Or, if I've misread something, do you think you might give just one example of a) a new bug in 0.24, B) one introduced in 0.23.5, c) how you define 'bugball', d) any software without bugs.

>PLAYING WITH MODS

>GETTING THIS MAD

be stock bro, its the only way. game is running perfect for me

Stock is boring, plain and simple.

At the very least, stock aerodynamics is uh... laughable.

EDIT-

I myself have tried to play .24, but the number of bugs and problems with all the mods I am running on that install is just making it unplayable for me, so I have chosen to continue to play on my second install that is the full Realism Overhaul .23.5KSP.

I am not mad at SQUAD, I find that the changes made and bugs caused are definatly part of the growing pains for the game. This mated with the "issue" of the Majiir-modstatgate I find it far more relaxing to actually play in a version that works. Instead of fighting with new bugs, issues and crashes.

Like currently if I load KSP 32bit it crashes due to memory issues. If I run 64bit it loads fine, but takes up a HUGE amount of memory , because some how they made Active Texture Management plugin incompatable?! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot over?

Just because I have 16GB of RAM doesn't mean I want KSP to run all 12 of it.

I play with mods, because the stock KSP, is meh.... The aerodynamic model is bad, and that's being polite. The limiting number of parts, is ok if you only build rockets and those you can build without clipping are often hidious. The lack of propper aircraft parts and cargo bays is equally bad. But it doesn't help that aircraft in KSP fly like super powered submarines. Then the weak atmosphere re-entry model, which anytime I can fire a Kerbal from Duna at Kerbin and have him survive re-entry only to die on impact with the ground is uh... bad. So I play with mods to add challenge, and variation to my gameplay experience. If all I did was make bad Youtube videos in hope of making a few pennies and slap together parts and scream horribly at the mic laughing manically at the screen as my fail contraption failed violently, sure stock would be fine.

Edited by Hodo

Quote Originally Posted by r4pt0r View Post

>PLAYING WITH MODS

>GETTING THIS MAD

be stock bro, its the only way. game is running perfect for me

Stock is boring, plain and simple.

At the very least, stock aerodynamics is uh... laughable.

dont feed the troll :)

As a matter of fact, my opion is that this update showed the best of the modding community. Its not my first new ksp version, and the professional way how almost all modders meet the new challenges of updating in a matter of days ist really great.

[RAGEQUIT] The .24 update has brought around many changes, which is ok. Unless some of those changes include MASSIVE amounts of incompatibility with mods and plenty of game breaking bugs. :huh: IVE HAD IT, GOODBYE, WILL BE BACK THOUGH.

(I know this game is still in "alpha", but that doesn't mean there is no excuse for the bugs!)

MrSS8 OUT! :mad: [/RAGEQUIT]

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Threads like this, and the person that creates them should be ban, plain and simple. These are just cheap attempts at getting attention because they cannot have their favorite mods, which most likely they do not make any donation to, are not ready to go as soon as the update has finished downloading, because (gasp) the modders have lives! So their only option is to complain, without examples of the bugs, about the game not supporting a mod, that is not created by the game producers, and thus wants everyone to feel sorry for them. They have been personally inconvenienced and they want everyone to know about it, without giving any details as to the what bugs they are referring too. If you are going to quit then quit...don't waste time making a post explaining, poorly, your, illogical, reasons why (don't go away mad, just go away). I am sure I will get in more trouble for posting this than the OP will for making an irreverent thread about leaving, but honestly this needs to be addressed.

Threads like this, and the person that creates them should be ban, plain and simple. These are just cheap attempts at getting attention because they cannot have their favorite mods, which most likely they do not make any donation to, are not ready to go as soon as the update has finished downloading, because (gasp) the modders have lives! So their only option is to complain, without examples of the bugs, about the game not supporting a mod, that is not created by the game producers, and thus wants everyone to feel sorry for them. They have been personally inconvenienced and they want everyone to know about it, without giving any details as to the what bugs they are referring too. If you are going to quit then quit...don't waste time making a post explaining, poorly, your, illogical, reasons why (don't go away mad, just go away). I am sure I will get in more trouble for posting this than the OP will for making an irreverent thread about leaving, but honestly this needs to be addressed.

No offense but this was one of the hardest to read replies I have seen on these forums in a long time. Calm down, when you type it may come across a bit more clear.

You don't like his post fine, but does your response make you any better then the OP? Nope, you are just responding in like kind to the OPs ragequit post. So I think the saying is, "Pot meet Kettle, Kettle meet Pot."

"Pot meet Kettle, Kettle meet Pot."

Secretly made me smile a little :)

I think it's important we stay respectful towards everyone, including the OP. As for the complaint that mod compatibility was broken with 0.24: yes, why wouldn't it be? Squad is developing a game, and other people are developing mods for that game. If Squad had to guarantee compatibility for even just the major mods between versions the development would grind to a halt quite quickly. I don't think it's reasonable to expect this from Squad, which means that keeping mods up to date falls to the mod makers themselves.

Mod makers are people, they may have a wife or girlfriend, a job, hobbies or may have simply lost interest in the game and moved on. All this and much more can get in the way of them updating their mods, and sometimes they have also licensed their mods in a way that noone else can take over and update the mod. This is how modding works, and all of this is pretty well known in the 'gaming world' and so you should expect this to happen, I think that that is a fair expectation. Going on a forum and making comments like this certainly isn't going to help you.