Stock Game Delta-V and TWR Display

I'm sure that this has already been suggested, but it would be nice to have something like Kerbal Engineer that displays vessel info in the VAB and SPH. It would be nice not to have to go and re-install Kerbal Engineer Redux (credit to cybutek on Curse) every time there is an update. I am not lazy.

I'm sure that this has already been suggested, but it would be nice to have something like Kerbal Engineer that displays vessel info in the VAB and SPH. It would be nice not to have to go and re-install Kerbal Engineer Redux (credit to cybutek on Curse) every time there is an update. I am not lazy.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/12/23/kerbal-space-program-dev-on-random-solar-systems-the-joy-of-failure-and-the-cult-of-steam/

Some players are interested in a delta-V indicator [which would show you exactly how much thrust a rocket has, basically]. What do you think?

Falange: I wanted it sometimes, and I un-wanted it other times. In the end, it takes away a gameplay element because it takes some of the guesswork and some of the trial and error and figuring out for yourself what the delta-V is. It might take some of the magic away. One of the great things about KSP is doing just what Chad was doing just now [Editor's note: this was Thursday afternoon, and Chad Jenkins was in the process of livesteaming his creation of a flying rocket-powered surfboard, killing two-dozen Kerbals in the process]. That ridiculous contraption he was doing, just trying to see if he could make it to the water, just shooting it on a rocket. If you make it too technical, it’s certainly possible to calculate it. But it’s like giving the answer to a puzzle sometimes, and I don’t know if we want that. The same applies to showing how much burn time you have remaining. I think there’s always this element of tension of trying to calculate in your head how much fuel you have left and if you’re going to make it. It’s like filling out the crossword puzzle for you.

The game already has delta-v and TWR indicators – they're just a bit hard to read in the stock game. KSP floods you with precise numerical information, allowing and kind of expecting you to compute things like this yourself with some basic math. Unfortunately it gets quite boring after a while, reducing your willingness to experiment with unproven designs in the VAB.

Yeah, I can't grasp the reasoning for not showing this. "We don't want people to sit around doing a whole bunch of math, so we don't show this. Instead people have to pull out the calculators and do the math (or install mods) if they want this info".

Que?

I also think we can come up to a compromise.

Have the DeltaV readout.... as a feature unlocked through science, even if late.

It can be fun to learn through spectacular failure when you are trying to reach close goal like the Mun or even Duna. Less so when you really wanted to land on Laythe and tried your best to prepare enough Dv.

It will be even more important if we are not supposed later to get so much money it doesn't matter and try to do economy.

Some people love to build crazy rocket, I like to build efficient rocket.

I also think we can come up to a compromise.

Have the DeltaV readout.... as a feature unlocked through science, even if late.

It can be fun to learn through spectacular failure when you are trying to reach close goal like the Mun or even Duna. Less so when you really wanted to land on Laythe and tried your best to prepare enough Dv.

It will be even more important if we are not supposed later to get so much money it doesn't matter and try to do economy.

Some people love to build crazy rocket, I like to build efficient rocket.

Good idea, a small flight computer as science part with very limited feature: display dV, TWR, mass (to have it here without going to the map) and AP/PE + their respective time to get there.

It could benefit from the small "tool" bar system, you click on it, get the values, like contracts, resources and the other data.

Considering I haven't installed Mechjeb this update yet, I can say I do miss my information windows. But experience has filled in the gap. I've been noticing that I have gotten very good at eyeballing my rockets and have made it all the way to Duna without having an exact measurement of my fuel or my remaining deltaV. So I can see where they are coming from.

On the other hand. A radar altimeter is something I REALLY!! wish we had.

On the other hand. A radar altimeter is something I REALLY!! wish we had.

Actually you do, but it's limited to the IVA view right now. I tell you, performing a Mün landing in IVA with just the navball and radar altimeter for guidance is definitely a challenge, to be tried at least once.

And yes, as the ÃŽâ€v/TWR request is on WNTS:

TL-ApplyThreadlock.jpg

Edited by technicalfool