[DEVTHREAD] Deep Space Exploration Vessels

Keep pulsed plasma mode?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Keep pulsed plasma mode?

• Yes, I use it
    • No, I don't use it

I'll have source code up tonight after work along with the latest release. It's actually not too bad to do once you understand how the game's heat mechanics work. There is a thread in game suggestions where I posted a bunch of my findings. NathanKell and Red Iron Crown were really helpful!

Get the latest version HERE

IMPORTANT NOTES

- This update will break your saves. Please retire any vessels in flight.

- Please redo action groups for your VAB/SPH vehicle's radiator panels as these will have changed since last update.

- The Centrifuge ring and countertorque ring use the latest InfernalRobotics mod; please set up your action groups accordingly.

- Heat management is a work in progress. The radiators DO work and keep your craft cool! :) But more tuning is needed. Right now

the Fusion Reactor and Supernova engine heat production is dialed back until I find the right balance.

Thank you Red Iron Crown and NathanKell for your valuable information on the new heat mechanics! :)

Gameplay

- Recompiled for KSP 1.0

- Added new part category for DSEV.

Fuel Tanks

- Removed the old fusion pellet tanks.

- Added the FLM-900 Multipurpose Storage Tank. It's a half-sized version of the FLM-1800 designed to fit the half-hex truss.

- Added the FLM-14400, FLM-7200, and FLM-3600 Multipurpose Storage Tanks. These massive orange tanks are able to hold different resources, and you can toggle their diameters from 3.75m to 2.5m.

- The resource storage templates are now based upon 1L units, in-line with the revisions to Community Resource Pack. Now you can hold more stuff!

- Added the Coolant storage template.

ISRU

- Added liquid hydrogen creation to the stock ISRU.

- Added FusionPellets creation to the stock ISRU.

Power & Heat management

- The Fusion Reactor now uses the stock resource generator.

- The radiators now provide active and passive heat radiation. You can also vent coolant (open-cycle cooling mode) to shed heat more rapidly.

- Radiators now start to glow red based upon temperature more accurately.

NOTE: More heat management is on the way.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements

- Fixed an issue where the fusion reactor and Supernova engine would not remember that they were activated.

- Fixed an issue with the ArcJet RCS thrusters not shutting off via action groups.

- Fixed an issue with the ArcJet RCS thrusters still showing stock thrust effects.

- ArcJet and Supernova now use liquid hydrogen by default (previously it was liquid fuel, with a liquid hydrogen switch if Near Future Propulsion was installed). Rename MM_LiquidFuel.txt to MM_LiquidFuel.cfg if you want them to use LiquidFuel instead.

- Removed SpinHub plugin in favor of latest Infernal Robotics 0.20c.

This is just what KSP needs!

would you be willing to make a separate mod that *just* implements the radiators ?

Absolutely. I have some work to do on it but I have the proof of concept tested. I started a discussion on heat management here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/118192-1-0-Cooldown-A-Community-Discussion-of-Heat-Management

My plan is to break the heat management code out of WildBlueTools and put it into Cooldown, my reference mod for the discussions. I'll put the large and small DSEV radiators there as reference parts as well.

Sooo... I, well, no comment.... but found some nullrefs that caused the physics lag onstream saiFail

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qytc4kr1hzp4f00/hotplate%20nullrefs.rar?dl=0

and uhm, can we get a nerf on hotplate stacking? i don`t think this was intended xD

1047m/s at 7.8km http://imgur.com/9hhalIS :cool::cool::cool:

and airhogging just got revived lol http://imgur.com/ItTyOrw

Adding 2 big radiators, I could get to orbital speed at 30km and the radiators were just going dasSup and keep soaking saiFail

They really need an atmospheric penalty as I`m having too much fun, lol

Edited by Kamuchi

Sooo... I, well, no comment.... but found some nullrefs that caused the physics lag onstream saiFail

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qytc4kr1hzp4f00/hotplate%20nullrefs.rar?dl=0

and uhm, can we get a nerf on hotplate stacking? i don`t think this was intended xD

1047m/s at 7.8km http://imgur.com/9hhalIS :cool::cool::cool:

and airhogging just got revived lol http://imgur.com/ItTyOrw

Adding 2 big radiators, I could get to orbital speed at 30km and the radiators were just going dasSup and keep soaking saiFail

They really need an atmospheric penalty as I`m having too much fun, lol

LOL! Looks like I need to drastically drop down the heat transfer while the radiators are stowed. Hey I'm just glad the basic concept is working. Now to refine it. :)

Awesome, thanks. Looks a lot like the heat warning mod...

Anyway, I peeked at the kerbal wiki and can see how maxThrust in the part config is now for sea level, not vacuum. That explains the wacky engine thrust from last night. For the hydrogen flame mode, the maxThrust should be 50, and maxThrust for pulsed plasma mode should be 10. Isp curve for hydrogen mode should be 4200 for key 0 and 210 for key 1. For pulsed plasma mode it should be 14400 and 210 respectively. That will give a slight buff. I will have another update this evening.

thanks for clarifying the temperature gauge, Kamuchi. :)

For the curious: in 1.0, max vacuum thrust is calculated like so: maxThrust / (ispSeaLevel / ispVacuum)

Edited by Angel-125

Hi Angel, a quick question for you (a bit off topic, Sorry!). Are you still developing a fork of the DeepFreeze mod? It's broken by 1.0.

Yes. I will likely roll it into DSEV or bundle it. Right now my priority is to stabilize my existing mods first.

BTW With 1.0.2 the parts from this mod seem to stop ksp loading. If i delete that part, the loader just gets stuck at the next one.

I'm not sure what you mean. Which part? I have to recompile the plugins for 1.0.2 if that's what you mean. That'll happen next update.

I'm not sure what you mean. Which part? I have to recompile the plugins for 1.0.2 if that's what you mean. That'll happen next update.

After the modulemanager patches load, the loader gets stuck on the rcs arcjet, then if i delete the arcjet part, the loader gets stuck on the supernova part. By stuck, i mean that the loading hints still change, but the loader does not get past the part.

I don't know if the plugin is the problem - it does not show on the incompatible mod list on load.

Hope this helped

Did you instal Community Resource Pack that comes with DSEV? Both of those parts use LqdHydrogen, which comes from the latest CRP. If you did not, and don't have Near Future Propulsion installed, then you can use the MM_LiquidFuel config file. Jus rename it from txt to cfg.