[DEVTHREAD] Deep Space Exploration Vessels

Keep pulsed plasma mode?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Keep pulsed plasma mode?

• Yes, I use it
    • No, I don't use it

Oh yeah, the Nautilus will be an interesting challenge...

Meanwhile, I finished early this week. Get the latest here!

0.3.22: The Final Frontier

Supernova

- Individual engines now require RocketParts and Science to unlock Pulsed Plasma Mode. This can only be done in flight by an Engineer on EVA, but you can temporarily switch modes in the VAB/SPH to properly design your vessel.

- Retuned ISP for Pulsed Plasma Mode.

Fusion Reactors

- Replaced WB-2 particle effects with specular map to improve game performance.

- Added WB-1 Mandarin 1.25m fusion reactor.

- Added WB-MF Micro Fusion Reactor. It is a 0.625m fusion reactor.

Hex Trusses

- Added the Tripple Hex Truss for even longer hex truss assemblies.

Bug Fixes

- Electrical charge is now being requested properly for the radiators, ArcJet engine, and RCS thruster.

- The FLM-100 now holds the proper amount of Liquid Fuel / Oxidizer.

- The part categorizer now properly sorts parts when multiple mods are installed.

- Vessels with active cooling will no longer explode during high timewarp.

- The Supernova will now show the correct particle effects when switching modes.

Mini parts! awsome xD

Looking forward to build new mini crafts using ions with the exploration pack \0/

Already started to picking my brain on new ways to abuse the radiators, already looking forward to use it in an extended state on real crafts like the hotplate cheat in 1.0 lol

https://imgur.com/a/hjEOd

Love the ability to use the new system to refine ore to pallets for the reactor, this will make long term self sustained reactor usage a real thing without the need to bring 1,000,000 pallets along :D

Edited by Kamuchi

Mini parts! awsome xD

Looking forward to build new mini crafts using ions with the exploration pack \0/

Already started to picking my brain on new ways to abuse the radiators, already looking forward to use it in an extended state on real crafts like the hotplate cheat in 1.0 lol

https://imgur.com/a/hjEOd

Love the ability to use the new system to refine ore to pallets for the reactor, this will make long term self sustained reactor usage a real thing without the need to bring 1,000,000 pallets along

Lol, so you were able to keep it out of the airstream and use it to cool down your craft?

Awesome mod.

For the Copernicus, what diameter are you going to make the components?

Thanks! I have a bit more to do, mostly polishing at this point. I want to add engine shrouds, for instance, and coolant dump effects to the radiators. I also want to add a fusion-powered turbofan- totally not needed for creating the Discovery II, but fun nonetheless.

For Copernicus, I'll stick to 3.75m as that's the game standard. The saddle truss will be slightly larger in order to fit the 3.75m tanks. If I do it right, the saddle trusses will double as a landing frame, something like this:

0110b.jpg

The new mini-reactor is so cute! :P

Thank for the super quick update!

Thanks! :) It's not done yet but you'll be able to grab that mini reactor and plant it on the ground.

I've been doing weekly updates for several months now in order to flesh out the mod. Thankfully the Copernicus won't be as bad to do, though I also have my other mods needing attention as well, heh.

Edited by Angel-125

Regarding the FLM-100. The LFO is indeed fixed. All the other resources are also totally out of wack vs. the size of the container.

Example, the FLM-100 contains 3144 rocket parts vs, 2800 for the FLM-900 Looks like its the same for all resources but LFO and Mono. (those two seem correct.

Apologies for not specifying it was all resources :P

EDIT: was looking into the code for the resource switcher system, I really like it :) Cant for the life of me figure out why it works for the 900, but not the 100 without overrides.

I tried putting in overrides for all the other resources into the CFG file and that seems to fix it. (like it did for Mono and LFO)

SECOND EDIT: Went ahead and opened a pull request on GitHub, if it will save you the trouble :)

Edited by rabidninjawombat

Lol, so you were able to keep it out of the airstream and use it to cool down your craft?

Yup lol

Just playing to get a stable ksp with adding some fav and wanted mods befor really starting to play with it, just had to tinker with the radiators right away :D

Regarding the FLM-100. The LFO is indeed fixed. All the other resources are also totally out of wack vs. the size of the container.

Example, the FLM-100 contains 3144 rocket parts vs, 2800 for the FLM-900 Looks like its the same for all resources but LFO and Mono. (those two seem correct.

EDIT: was looking into the code for the resource switcher system, I really like it :) Cant for the life of me figure out why it works for the 900, but not the 100 without overrides.

I tried putting in overrides for all the other resources into the CFG file and that seems to fix it. (like it did for Mono and LFO)

SECOND EDIT: Went ahead and opened a pull request on GitHub, if it will save you the trouble :)

Ok, I'll have to take another look at that. Part of the problem is that stock resources use 5-liter units and the CRP uses 1-liter units, so it gets confusing.

For Copernicus, I'll stick to 3.75m as that's the game standard. The saddle truss will be slightly larger in order to fit the 3.75m tanks. If I do it right, the saddle trusses will double as a landing frame, something like this:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2014/01/0110b.jpg

I was gonna say, if you were planning on making the aeroshell and lander components as well, maybe the models I started on could be helpful for you.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92523-Abandoned-CxAerospace-Aeroshells-and-Lander-Chassis-%28Source-Files-Released%29

I was gonna say, if you were planning on making the aeroshell and lander components as well, maybe the models I started on could be helpful for you.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92523-Abandoned-CxAerospace-Aeroshells-and-Lander-Chassis-%28Source-Files-Released%29

Not sure about the aero components, I was thinking that the stock fairings would suffice. I will definitely keep the models you did in mind though, thank you for the offer. :)

Ok, I know what the problem is. Ok, so the FLM-1800 is the standard tank size that the template values are based on. It has 5600 liters of storage (5600 units). It is named the FLM-1800 for the amount of LiquidFuel and Oxidizer that it carries. That 5600 number accounts for things like insulation, ullage structure, and the like, so it isn't the full volume of the tank mesh. Also, because Community Resource Pack uses 1L units instead of about 5L units for stock LFO tanks, the FLM series holds more community resources than stock resources. So that FLM-1800 holds 5600 units of LqdHydrogen, but 810u of LiquidFuel and 910u of Oxidizer. Yes I know that is only a third of the capacity, but after accounting for internal insulation and such it works out.

The resource switcher has a capacityFactor, which is applied to each resource when switching between templates. For the FLM-1800, the capacityFactor is 1.0. For the FLM-900, the capacityFactor is 0.5. At the top end, the FLM-14400 has a capacityFactor of 8.0. The problem is that the FLM-100 has a capacityFactor of 0.5615. I missed a zero. It should be 0.05615 for all resources. If you set the capacityFactor accordingly and delete the override nodes then the FLM-100 will have the correct values. I will fix that tonight and make a stealth update. I appreciate the pull request, thanks. :)

And I'm glad you like the resource switcher, it took me awhile to figure out how to make that work... And not long after, I discovered FireSpitter, heh. But I kept it and used it as the basis for WBIModuleSwitcher, which gives me the ability to add PartModules to the part at runtime. It is akin to ModuleManager that runs during game play (I discovered ModuleManager after creating the module switcher...) That module switcher forms the basis for Multipurpose Colony Modules (currently undergoing revisions for 1.0.2). A version of the swticher code is in MKS/OKS but RoverDude doesn't use it and it is seriously out of date at this point...

Edited by Angel-125

Ok, there are enough changes to warrant a version bump.

Get the latest here!

0.3.23: Warp Speed

- Minor bug fixes to the resource switcher.

- The FLM-100 now has the correct resources. Thanks for the investigation rabidningawombat! :)

- Refactored templates so that they can be shared across Wild Blue Industry mods.

Alright Angel, here is why I was eager for smaller parts :D

At the bottom that you can`t see is the reactor with pallet storage around, 2 plates and the refinery :P

8LYebyQ.png

There are a couple more picks that are stored in my WIP album for the Minmus base project: https://imgur.com/a/Ny2Qy

If you`re wondering what the heck that ship is, it`s a modular orbital tug/station builder that serves as a perfect Minmus workhorse aswell :Dhttps://imgur.com/a/BmFyc

Looking forward to actively test the mod while dorking around, thanks! :cool:

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to find the Supernova fusion engine in the tech tree, but it's not there. The config file says the tech required is Experimental Rocketry, but there's no such node in the tech tree. Is DSEV supposed to add that?

Update: Okay, just installed 0.3.23, and now the Supernova is in Very Heavy Rocketry. But now there's a Fusion Propulsion node, but there's nothing in it. Are you about to surprise us with a new toy? :)

Edited by MerlinsMaster

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to find the Supernova fusion engine in the tech tree, but it's not there. The config file says the tech required is Experimental Rocketry, but there's no such node in the tech tree. Is DSEV supposed to add that?

Update: Okay, just installed 0.3.23, and now the Supernova is in Very Heavy Rocketry. But now there's a Fusion Propulsion node, but there's nothing in it. Are you about to surprise us with a new toy? :)

Yeah there's a bit of tech node configuration experiments going on. I'm trying to figure out how to have the old Experimental Rocketry back. You probably have a config file that I accidentally included. Basically, the Fusion Propulsion will be where Experimental Rocketry was, but I haven't worked that out yet.

This might be a dumb question, but am I allowed to use this mod in my youtube videos?

Sure! :) I would appreciate a shout out to the mod if you can, I'll post a link to the main site (under construction) tomorrow.