[DEVTHREAD] Deep Space Exploration Vessels

Keep pulsed plasma mode?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Keep pulsed plasma mode?

• Yes, I use it
    • No, I don't use it

Hey Angel, is there any chance you'd be willing to make this mod totally stand-alone, so you wouldn't need Infernal Robotics to run the centrifuge? It's just that IR is a huge parts mod, and I'm just under my RAM limit. Just sayin'.

Hey Angel, is there any chance you'd be willing to make this mod totally stand-alone, so you wouldn't need Infernal Robotics to run the centrifuge? It's just that IR is a huge parts mod, and I'm just under my RAM limit. Just sayin'.

Funny you should mention that. During one of my lunchtime walks I was thinking of how to have an animated centrifuge snd may have an idea on how to do that. It would be an option if you don't have IR installed.

Funny you should mention that. During one of my lunchtime walks I was thinking of how to have an animated centrifuge snd may have an idea on how to do that. It would be an option if you don't have IR installed.

Nice!

Also, I was wondering. You mentioned you would make DSEV to be supported by CKAN when you felt it was ready. Do you have a rough idea when you might be doing that? Don't want to rush you, I just wanted to know if I should install DSEV manually or wait until I can use CKAN.

This is looking really nice!

Thanks! :)

Nice!

Also, I was wondering. You mentioned you would make DSEV to be supported by CKAN when you felt it was ready. Do you have a rough idea when you might be doing that? Don't want to rush you, I just wanted to know if I should install DSEV manually or wait until I can use CKAN.

For now, GitHub remains the best place to get the latest DSEV, and 1.0 is just around the corner (It's been pushed back a bit due to needing a couple of extra changes). Once it hits 1.0 I'll put it on CKAN.

For now, GitHub remains the best place to get the latest DSEV, and 1.0 is just around the corner (It's been pushed back a bit due to needing a couple of extra changes). Once it hits 1.0 I'll put it on CKAN.

Sounds great. I look forward to it.

Latest release is now available. It's a small release due to limited time..

0.3.24: Midas Touch

• The FLM-14400 now has an alternate gold foil texture for the large tank size NOTE: FLM-7200 and FLM-3600 will get gold foil textures too, this is a work in progress.
  • Added the 3.75m service bay. It has two modes of operation: open end-cap (default), and closed end cap. When closed, you can toggle the service bay doors.

Question how do you share textures with other mods? That will work even when they are not installed?

I only share textures between my mods, because I know what the textures contain. You'd have to use the MODEL node and specify the locations of the textures.

Get the latest here!

0.3.25: Gold Standard

3.75m Service Bay

- The service bay now comes in two variants: Open Service Bay, and Service Compartment. The open-end variant has no doors that open, while the closed variant does.

Storage Tanks

- FLM-1440, 7200, and 3600 now all have an alternate gold foil look for both 3.75m and 2.5m sizes.

- Adjusted pricing on the FLM-1800 and FLM-900.

- You can now resize the FLM-1800 between 1.875m and 1.25m.

- You can now resize the FLM-900 between 1.875m, 1.25m, and 0.625m.

- All resizeable storage tanks now have size appropriate empty masses.

Bug Fixes

- FLM-7200 and FLM-3600 now have their proper empty mass.

- Fixed part costs for resources in storage tanks.

- Fixed an issue where fuel tanks could not be attached to the craft.

Edit: I updated the mod to 0.3.26 to fix the tank sleeves issue and updated CRP. Hope that helps. :)

Edited by Angel-125

Download the latest here!

- Added the FLM-450, a quarter-sized tank that can fit into the 3.75m service bays.

- Added the quarter hex-truss, last of the hex truss assemblies.

- Added engine shrouds to the Supernova fusion engine.

- Added engine shroud to the Tesla AJ-5 ArcJet Engine.

- Added coolant dump effects to the radiators.

- Added game settings window for DSEV. Access it via Alt V. You can control the volume of the ArcJet RCS thrusters through this menu.

- The Supernova engine, WB-1 Mandarin, and WB-MF now appear under the Experimental Fusion technology tree.

- Fixed an issue where the fusion reactors and the Supernova weren't showing up in Community Tech Tree.

- Finished work on the 3.75m service bays.

Dummy question; is there a formula for the acceleration and rotation speed for the counter hub to reduce torque required to keep the craft stable?

I realized that I have 30 tons on the hub and that my counter hub is not able to take this with the same speed and acceleration.

Dummy question; is there a formula for the acceleration and rotation speed for the counter hub to reduce torque required to keep the craft stable?

I realized that I have 30 tons on the hub and that my counter hub is not able to take this with the same speed and acceleration.

Off the top of my head I can't remember, but if you Google torque, you should be able to find some formulas. One thing you can do though is use the Masscon part. Add a couple of Masscons and set their mass to equal the mass that you added to the hub. Then keep the spinning hub and countertorque rings rotating at the same speed but in the opposite direction.

Great!!!

Glad you like it. :) I've been saying this awhile now, but I'm definitely near the 1.0 release at last. In fact, next release will be the release candidate, assuming there are no new issues to work out.

Off the top of my head I can't remember, but if you Google torque, you should be able to find some formulas. One thing you can do though is use the Masscon part. Add a couple of Masscons and set their mass to equal the mass that you added to the hub. Then keep the spinning hub and countertorque rings rotating at the same speed but in the opposite direction.

The problem with doing it this way is that you add a ton of useless mass to your ship. (And on spacecraft, every kilo counts.) I have had decent results with a simple proportionality: I use the masscons to make the total mass of the countertorque ring (for example) 1/4 of the total mass of the hub and its attachments, then I run the countertorque ring at 4 times the speed of the hub. It isn't perfect, I am guessing because the mass on the hub has more torque due to its increased moment arm, but it is close enough. IRL what they would do is run the motors that spin up the hub against the countertorque ring and the entire system would be self-balancing (except for friction losses). But in a game we take what we can get. :)

Edited by TheSaint

The problem with doing it this way is that you add a ton of useless mass to your ship. (And on spacecraft, every kilo counts.) I have had decent results with a simple proportionality: I use the masscons to make the total mass of the countertorque ring (for example) 1/4 of the total mass of the hub and its attachments, then I run the countertorque ring at 4 times the speed of the hub. It isn't perfect, I am guessing because the mass on the hub has more torque due to its increased moment arm, but it is close enough. IRL what they would do is run the motors that spin up the hub against the countertorque ring and the entire system would be self-balancing (except for friction losses). But in a game we take what we can get. :)

Thanks that is something I was looking for.

Is there a way of disabling this mods heat heat mechanics? e.g deleting the cooldown dll?

Hi Whizzkid, deleting the Cooldown dll would definitely disable the heat mechanics. You won't see the radiators glow, as their glow is controlled by the dll. Deleting the dll won't affect the rest of the mod.

I'll also create a MM patch that will disable the heat mechanics, and one that will tie the radiators into Nertea's HeatControl. I think the radiators already have a glow animation, but I'm not certain.

Hi Whizzkid, deleting the Cooldown dll would definitely disable the heat mechanics. You won't see the radiators glow, as their glow is controlled by the dll. Deleting the dll won't affect the rest of the mod.

I'll also create a MM patch that will disable the heat mechanics, and one that will tie the radiators into Nertea's HeatControl. I think the radiators already have a glow animation, but I'm not certain.

Ok thanks, i have deleted the cooldown folder and dll, but the engines still have a temperature value in the right click menu in flight.

Ok thanks, i have deleted the cooldown folder and dll, but the engines still have a temperature value in the right click menu in flight.

That's because the engine and radiators have built in temperature gauges. It's not like Deadly Reentry, where it added module to each part to show temperature. That said, the ModuleManager patch I am working on could disable the temperature outputs.

Cooldown works by going through the list of parts in a vessel and actively transfers heat from the part and into the radiators. This bypasses the game's built in heat mechanics that rely upon heat conductivity. Think of Cooldown as using a series of heat pipes that you dony have to add to your ship. By deleting the Cooldown plugin, you no longer actively shunt heat from all parts in the vessel and into the radiators. Instead what will happen is that the game itself will apply its heat mechanics.

i hope that helps explain how the plugin works. :)

Edited by Angel-125

That's because the engine and radiators have built in temperature gauges. It's not like Deadly Reentry, where it added module to each part to show temperature. That said, the ModuleManager patch I am working on could disable the temperature outputs.

Cooldown works by going through the list of parts in a vessel and actively transfers heat from the part and into the radiators. This bypasses the game's built in heat mechanics that rely upon heat conductivity. Think of Cooldown as using a series of heat pipes that you dony have to add to your ship. By deleting the Cooldown plugin, you no longer actively shunt heat from all parts in the vessel and into the radiators. Instead what will happen is that the game itself will apply its heat mechanics.

i hope that helps explain how the plugin works. :)

Thanks for the response! :)

Get the latest version here!

It's been a long road to get here, but this is the first release candidate for 1.0! :)

1.0 RC1: One Giant Leap

- Added ability to adjust the volume for the heat radiator coolant dump sound effect to the DSEV debug menu.

- Added persistence to the volume controls.

- Added the MM_DisableCooldown ModuleManager patch. To use it, rename MM_DisableCooldown.txt to MM_DisableCooldown.cfg.

NOTE: Your radiators will no longer glow if you install this patch, but they will extend/retract.

- Added the MM_HeatControl ModuleManager patch. To use it, rename MM_HeatControl.txt to MM_HeatControl.cfg.

NOTE: This will replace DSEV's Cooldown with Nertea's HeatControl, and requires HeatControl as a separate download.

- The Supernova's temperature readout will not be shown if MM_HeatControl or MM_DisableCooldown are installed.

How to use the Module Manager patches

DSEV comes with several Module Manager patches to alter the mod’s configuration to suit your play style. Several of them are applied automatically, while others are optional. You can find the patches in the DSEV root directory; they all start with MM_.

MM_CTT.cfg: This patch is used to integrate DSEV with the Community Tech Tree. It runs automatically if you have Community Tech Tree installed.

MM_HideHexTrusses.txt: This patch will hide the hex trusses, typically used if you install a similar system such as Nertea’s Near Future Construction. Simply rename the file from .txt to .cfg to enable it.

MM_LiquidFuel.txt: This patch switches the Supernova and ArcJet engine and RCS thrusters over to use LiquidFuel instead of LqdHydrogen. Simply rename the file from .txt to .cfg to enable it.

MM_Resources.cfg: This patch adds resource distributions to various planets in the game. It is applied automatically.

MM_TechTree.cfg: This patch adds the Experimental Fusion tech node to the technology tree. It is applied automatically if you don’t have Community Tech Tree installed.

MM_HeatControl.txt: This patch reconfigures the heat radiators so that they use Nertea’s HeatControl instead of using the Cooldown plugin installed with DSEV. Simply rename the file from .txt to .cfg to enable it.

MM_DisableCooldown.txt: An alternate patch, this will disable heat management altogether, and rely upon the game’s built-in mechanics to distribute the heat. If you use this patch, your radiators will no longer glow. Simply rename the file from .txt to .cfg to enable it. Do not use this patch if you are using MM_HeatControl.