[DEVTHREAD] Deep Space Exploration Vessels

Keep pulsed plasma mode?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Keep pulsed plasma mode?

• Yes, I use it
    • No, I don't use it

I downloaded your mod about an hour ago - totally blown away by it, and I love it!

However, I may be doing something wrong, but I try to use the centrifuge as per youtube video. I do not seem to be getting as many options as shown in the youtube video when tweaking the movement of the centrifuge parts (such as toggle spin, coarse speed, etc.). When I go out of vab/sph, I do not get the option to spin the centrifuge.

I am probably missing a step and/or missing some vital mod piece.

I have infernal robotics as one of my standard mods, and it's up to date, so not quite sure what may be leading to lack of options to make it spin.

Any help would be greatful.

Cheers.

I downloaded your mod about an hour ago - totally blown away by it, and I love it!

However, I may be doing something wrong, but I try to use the centrifuge as per youtube video. I do not seem to be getting as many options as shown in the youtube video when tweaking the movement of the centrifuge parts (such as toggle spin, coarse speed, etc.). When I go out of vab/sph, I do not get the option to spin the centrifuge.

I am probably missing a step and/or missing some vital mod piece.

I have infernal robotics as one of my standard mods, and it's up to date, so not quite sure what may be leading to lack of options to make it spin.

Any help would be greatful.

Cheers.

Unfortunately that video is out of date and is based on the older version of Infernal Robotics. Please see the following video for the latest demo of the centrifuge:

Hope that helps. :)

Edit: DSEV is now up at KerbalStuff!

Edited by Angel-125

Well, I am still playing with the centrifuge/torque settings, but I get it to work just fine. It will be a while before I send a ship into space with a gravity centrifuge in place and working to my satisfaction, but your device works great!

In the meantime, here is a glamour shot of the Daedalus, on her maiden voyage to Mars. Notice a certain engine ;).

50B6yb9.png?1

q56tbNa.png?1

Edited by Gaultesian

Looks like KSP 1.0.3 added heat radiators. I'm investigating how they work, they're similar to Cooldown, minus the open-cycle cooling. Not sure if the game makes the radiators glow. Yep, they don't glow without the temperature gauge being engaged. I have to re-tune the radiator and engine to use the new modules.

Edited by Angel-125

Does DSEV play nicely with RSS yet?

To be honest I have never tried RSS. That said, DSEV is calibrated to my reference design fir Discovery II, based on previous work by Das Valdez, and it gets about 13k delta v with four full tanks. Can you tell me a bit more about the requirements for RSS?

13k Delta V is enough for a Moon trip. Just reach orbit is RSS it's more or less 8500/9000 Delta V

Ah ok. Please keep in mind that the Supernova is designed to work in space only; you won't be able to use it to lift off the surface. So from LEO, you'll get 13k dv. I found a subway map of the solar system over on Atomic Rockets, and it looks like 13k delta v will get you in the vicinity of Saturn.

Well, it's a very good ship. Perfect for Mars/Venus...

Cool. :) I recall that in the NASA paper, Discovery II had a delta-V of about 22k. 13k is scaled for the kerbol system, so for RSS, I'd have to increase the ISP and/or decrease thrust to get a similar performance. Then again, if you switch the engine over to pulsed plasma mode, you can go a really long way...

Meanwhile, I have the radiators working with the new stock radiator module. It wasn't too bad, since DSEV has been doing ship-wide active cooling since 1.0 was released. All I had to do was add in the heat radiator glow code and the open-cycle cooling since stock radiators don't support that. ModuleTargetTemp, which was created to try and keep certain parts at a certain level, is now handled more or less by the built-in radiatorMax, but I'm not changing the defaults for now.

Anyway, my prototype ship is running smoothly with the Supernova and radiators now properly tuned. I ended up with a heat production that's 2.5x that of the LV-N.

BAylqpg.png

CivwpCq.png

Edited by Angel-125

Get the latest here.

NOTE: Be sure to delete your old WildBlueIndustries' folder as files have moved around.

- Removed Cooldown heat management in favor of stock ModuleActiveRadiator. Since stock's heat management is ship-wide like Cooldown's system, you won't notice much of a difference. Radiators will still glow and you can still dump coolant. :)

- Retuned Supernova heat production for new stock heat mangement. It takes a dozen of the Graphene radiators to properly cool, just as before.

- Removed ModuleTargetTemp from the FLM fuel tanks. Stock parts now have the built-in radiatorMax, which is basically the same thing.

- Refactored folder structure for better CKAN support.

- Converted all storage decals to dds.

Edited by Angel-125

The models, especially fuel tanks, seem like they're Z-fighting with themselves - graphic is flickering in VAB and in space (1.0.2 here). Maybe it's just me...

Edited to add: the most prominent this effect is on FLM-3600, even on its icon.

...forest...

screenshot35_500.jpgi.gif

Edited by cipherpunks
add pic

Can you please please put this mod on CKAN?

Also, I might be doing a mod review video on this soon-ish.

Trying to, CKAN is challenging for me, and with my art/dev pc down for the count, I'll be rebuilding it this week. Fortunately all my data is backed up.

Reactors are dropping to 0.10% load out of the blue, after some time of physics warp. Clicking "reactor on" says should fully charge reactor, but instantly gives around 50% electricity amount. Clicking that 2nd time almost tops it, and clicking 3rd time starts it up, but it may, or may not resume generation as normal.

Entering 100x warp and dropping to 1x always resets the reactor and it starts behave as intended, producing as advertised.

KSP 1.0.2 here still, and corresponding mod version.

Reactors are dropping to 0.10% load out of the blue, after some time of physics warp. Clicking "reactor on" says should fully charge reactor, but instantly gives around 50% electricity amount. Clicking that 2nd time almost tops it, and clicking 3rd time starts it up, but it may, or may not resume generation as normal.

Entering 100x warp and dropping to 1x always resets the reactor and it starts behave as intended, producing as advertised.

KSP 1.0.2 here still, and corresponding mod version.

Must be a stock game issue, the resource conversion come straight from the stock ModuleResourceConverter. Thanks for the report though. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Just a suggestion, an adapter between the hex and 2.5m sizes would be nice, as the hex trusses do not look right, when placed against, say, a 2.5m fuel tank

I'll second this! The 2.5m-to-octotruss adapter is one of my most frequently used parts when I'm building with Near Future Construction, it would be nice to be able to have the same type of part available when I want to use the DSEV hex-trusses. :D

Just a suggestion, an adapter between the hex and 2.5m sizes would be nice, as the hex trusses do not look right, when placed against, say, a 2.5m fuel tank
I'll second this! The 2.5m-to-octotruss adapter is one of my most frequently used parts when I'm building with Near Future Construction, it would be nice to be able to have the same type of part available when I want to use the DSEV hex-trusses. :D

Thanks for the suggestion. :) I will create a 2.5m-to-hextruss adapter. And for that matter a hextruss to 3.75m adapter, because I think that's a good idea. :) Can you think of anything else the mod needs? I'm at last gearing up for the 1.0 release, and have just fixed the z-fighting issues I saw in the editor.

Thanks for the suggestion. :) I will create a 2.5m-to-hextruss adapter. And for that matter a hextruss to 3.75m adapter, because I think that's a good idea. :) Can you think of anything else the mod needs? I'm at last gearing up for the 1.0 release, and have just fixed the z-fighting issues I saw in the editor.

The 3.75m adapter IS a good idea! :D I can't think of anything else right now though, unless you'd like to implement 'TweakScale' to the truss parts so that we could have 1.25 meter or 3.75 meter trusses, and the fuel tanks to go with them, of course. :) But I realize that that would involve a lot of extra work to get the mass/fuel/drag ratios right when scaled, so if you don't want to do that it wouldn't really hurt my feelings.

One thing that NEEDS to be fixed though, Angel... It's not "tripple", with two 'p's! It's spelled "triple". TRIPLE truss! Argh, that typo bothers me every time I look at the config! I went in and edited the name of the part as it appears in the info window in the editor, but I didn't want to bother with renaming the actual file, and then having to go change everything else that makes reference to it.

Anyway, if I think of anything else that I'd like to see added in the next couple of days, I'll certainly post a new note.

Thanks, Angel-125 for this cool mod, I've been using it quite a lot lately. And thanks to Whizzkid for actually posting the suggestion that I've been thinking about for a long while, but never got around to making a post. I'm not trying to take credit, I'm saying that he/she is more industrious and proactive than I am, and I salute him/her for it, lol! :sticktongue:

Later, everyone! :D

Is there a guide somewhere with more details on how to operate the supernova?

The advice given in the images, thread, and patch-notes is not enough for a dunce like me.

Specifically, i am confused about the cooling, and how to upgrade the engine to pulsed plasma mode.

Any help would be much appreciated.