[DEVTHREAD] Deep Space Exploration Vessels

Keep pulsed plasma mode?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Keep pulsed plasma mode?

• Yes, I use it
    • No, I don't use it

Thanks for the suggestion. :) I will create a 2.5m-to-hextruss adapter. And for that matter a hextruss to 3.75m adapter, because I think that's a good idea. :) Can you think of anything else the mod needs? I'm at last gearing up for the 1.0 release, and have just fixed the z-fighting issues I saw in the editor.

Turn the adaptors also into service bays?

Is there a guide somewhere with more details on how to operate the supernova?

The advice given in the images, thread, and patch-notes is not enough for a dunce like me.

Specifically, i am confused about the cooling, and how to upgrade the engine to pulsed plasma mode.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I will have info in the wiki page after release, but basically, if your ship has a fusion reactor aboard (you need the largest one), then when you start the Supernova, it will take time to charge its capacitor. Once charged, the engine will start. You need 12 of the large graphene radiators to operate the engine safely. It will overheat but not enough to explode. To upgrade to pulsed plasma mode, your ship needs 1200 RocketParts and you need an engineer.

Turn the adaptors also into service bays?

Hm, interesting concept. Not sure how to make that work but I can investigate it.

Get the latest here!

CKAN/KerbalStuff update is on the way..

1.0 RC3

- Added 2.5m-to-hextruss adapter, that can be toggled to a 3.75m-to-hextruss adapter.

- Fixed z-fighting issues with the part thumbnails in the editor.

- Fixed gaps in the fuel tank attachment nodes.

Sounds awesome! :) Will download asap!

Great job on this mod man! I use this along with your Pathfinder and have found the flexibility of the systems you've developed to be extraordinarily helpful.

I'm playing around with a new deep space exploration vehicle on my career mode and noticed a curious error. The FLM-450 and FLM-900 both have identical volumes for all selections. Referencing the FLM-1800 I'm assuming those values are correct for the FLM-900 and incorrect for the FLM-450 since 2800 is half the quantity contained in the FLM-1800. After reading your config files for both the 450 and 900 I noticed that both values for capacityFactor are set to 0.5. I changed it in my 450 config file to 0.25 and that solved the problem for me as it now shows exactly half the values of the FLM-900 for all selections. Figured you'd want this brought to your attention and I also opened a github issue for it as a reminder.

Again, great job on this and your other mods...looking forward to see what else you come up with along the way.

Great job on this mod man! I use this along with your Pathfinder and have found the flexibility of the systems you've developed to be extraordinarily helpful.

I'm playing around with a new deep space exploration vehicle on my career mode and noticed a curious error. The FLM-450 and FLM-900 both have identical volumes for all selections. Referencing the FLM-1800 I'm assuming those values are correct for the FLM-900 and incorrect for the FLM-450 since 2800 is half the quantity contained in the FLM-1800. After reading your config files for both the 450 and 900 I noticed that both values for capacityFactor are set to 0.5. I changed it in my 450 config file to 0.25 and that solved the problem for me as it now shows exactly half the values of the FLM-900 for all selections. Figured you'd want this brought to your attention and I also opened a github issue for it as a reminder.

Again, great job on this and your other mods...looking forward to see what else you come up with along the way.

Glad you like the mod. :) And thanks for pointing out the capacity discrepancies with the tanks. I probably got confused about which file I was editing at the time. I'll update them and create a new update. If that's the extent of the bugs them I'm a happy camper. :)

Hey Angel - found a new issue on the Hexagonal Adapter you just added - two actually. First and probably foremost, after leaving the editor, I can adjust both the adapter size and open/bracing/vestibule selection as if I'm still in the editor. Second, probably related, the part is not radiating heat away at all. Neither skin nor part temperature will drop after raising, even in lower atmo and skin temp sitting at 1300+ it's got 0.00 K/s flux and the same goes for part temp. Just thought you'd like to know that one :D - if you need screenshots, logs or debug info I'll be happy to provide anything you need.

As always, keep up the great work and I can't wait for the light pole in Pathfinder!

Found another goofy kind of thing. The Dock-o-Tron 3.75m port is refusing to acknowledge the Control From Here command. I can target another one and after a considerable amount of hassle on a VERY large craft managed to actually get a successful dock completed (had to use infinite RCS fuel though LOL) so the port itself seems to actually be working for docking just fine. That said, the control from here makes docking a lot easier since you're not trying to guide in from a control point that could be on the other end of your craft (as was nearly my case). I poked around in the config and see you're using a custom module WBModuleDockingNode but I also noticed that in the config there is no controlTransformName which is part of the stock ModuleDockingNode. I didn't know if that was significant or not but since I couldn't exercise the Control command I figured I'd bring it up to see what it might lead to.

Hm. Ok, sounds like there are a few more bugs left. The truss segments are designed to be heat insulators, so you'd need to use radiators to shed heat. The other bugs will take a bit to fix. Thanksfor the reports. :)

The truss segments are designed to be heat insulators, so you'd need to use radiators to shed heat.

Did not realize that but that's a very cool idea especially for the internal containment setups I prefer when using these. Will remember that in the future and design accordingly.

Here is some inspiration for some more stuff for the hexagon truss system.

truss_parts_kit_by_axeman3d-d55six2.jpg

from http://axeman3d.deviantart.com/art/Truss-parts-kit-312059846?q=sort%3Atime%20gallery%3Aaxeman3d&qo=32

I especially like the wedge shaped containers, could be useful as a Cargo/storage containers or different form of habitation modules.

Another idea could be to use them vertical in a modular lander design.

An inflatable spherical tank would also be nice for creating cool looking interplanetary ships

Did some more thinking about a modular container system. quick CAD sketchup...

mv3rep.jpg

It contains 2 parts, a smaller container like your Pathfinder, bucketboard and a larger one for the DSEV. I imgaine that the larger container is sized so you could stack a number of the smaller ones inside. It all is built upon equal triangales (60 degress corners).

It might look better if the sharp angle in the smaller module crossection gets a small chamfer

Edited by Prime flux

http://pre02.deviantart.net/194d/th/pre/f/2012/184/e/1/truss_parts_kit_by_axeman3d-d55six2.jpg

from http://axeman3d.deviantart.com/art/Truss-parts-kit-312059846?q=sort%3Atime%20gallery%3Aaxeman3d&qo=32

I especially like the wedge shaped containers, could be useful as a Cargo/storage containers or different form of habitation modules.

An inflatable spherical tank would also be nice for creating cool looking interplanetary ships

http://oi57.tinypic.com/mv3rep.jpg

It contains 2 parts, a smaller container like your Pathfinder, bucketboard and a larger one for the DSEV. I imgaine that the larger container is sized so you could stack a number of the smaller ones inside. It all is built upon equal triangales (60 degress corners).

It might look better if the sharp angle in the smaller module crossection gets a small chamfer

To build something like this?

hBotanyBay162.jpg

Botany Bay is one of my favorite Star Trek ships...

Edited by Angel-125

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Once I fix a few flaws in my own variant of the Discovery II, the Bon Voyage, I'll share more pics. But for now, here's what I have. The centrifuge is made from structural fuselages to which I added cabin windows from Lack's SXT.

9r5ZbeA.png

That looks fantastic, thanks for sharing that. :) I've been concentrating on Pathfinder, which is why there hasn't been much activity of late. I'm waiting on KSP 1.1 before fixing the minor issues reported and moving DSEV to the release thread.

Okay, just trying to ensure I'm understanding this correctly.... I need HOW MUCH Electric Charge to fire up the Supernova????
48000ec.

Don't forget that you can build this up with a generator of some sort and don't need it all at once. The Fusion Reactors from DSEV are meant for this but you can use any power source you want to get there.

http://pre02.deviantart.net/194d/th/pre/f/2012/184/e/1/truss_parts_kit_by_axeman3d-d55six2.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/mv3rep.jpg

Wow, i can't wait to start building really cool things with these parts!

Don't forget that you can build this up with a generator of some sort and don't need it all at once. The Fusion Reactors from DSEV are meant for this but you can use any power source you want to get there.

Oh. Phew. I was kinda shocked (pardon the pun) by that, and thought I needed it all at once.

• 2 weeks later...