[DEVTHREAD] Deep Space Exploration Vessels

Keep pulsed plasma mode?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Keep pulsed plasma mode?

• Yes, I use it
    • No, I don't use it

Hey Angel-125,

You mentioned a few months ago you were thinking of making the centrifuge IR independent. Are you still thinking along those lines? Trying to decide whether to install it or not. My mod list has my memory near capacity.

Also, any chance of making the hub CLS-compatible? :)

Thanks as always for your hard work!

Hey Angel-125,

You mentioned a few months ago you were thinking of making the centrifuge IR independent. Are you still thinking along those lines? Trying to decide whether to install it or not. My mod list has my memory near capacity.

Also, any chance of making the hub CLS-compatible? :)

Thanks as always for your hard work!

Yup! Phase 2 will have an IR-independent centrifuge based on the NASA Discovery II spacecraft. It will have CLS support as well. I'm holding off on updates until 1.1 is released though. Thanks for asking. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Love these - I was wondering if there is a RealFuels stockalike config available for the SuperNova engine?

Currently I don't have a RealFuels config for the Supernova. I can add that to the list though. :)

Yup! Phase 2 will have an IR-independent centrifuge based on the NASA Discovery II spacecraft. It will have CLS support as well. I'm holding off on updates until 1.1 is released though. Thanks for asking. :)

Okay, perhaps that would clear up the issue of static IVAs on the sweeper arms... I don't have a video of it, because it tends to cause my spacecraft to go a bit screwy, but it does some weird stuff when rotating and you're in IVA.

• 2 weeks later...
So how's the copernicus coming?

Hi Davidy,

I've been busy with Pathfinder, and waiting on KSP 1.1, so I haven't had much time for Copernicus. I've worked on it indirectly in a way; in the NASA reference mission, Copernicus deploys a rover, and I am specifically designing the Buffalo MSEV's rover configuration with Copernicus in mind. As a rover, the Buffalo will fit inside the Copernicus's cargo frame. I've also been doing some design work on how Copernicus fits in the KSP design and use aesthetics. I can't give you any time frames but soon Pathfinder will be in a good place before the next major update, and then I can turn my attention back to DSEV.

What's a buffalo exactly?

HAHAHA! Love it! :)

Here is an album showcasing the Buffalo Modular Space Exploration Vehicle (MSEV) It is based upon NASA's real-world MMSEV, but styled for KSP. Just like the MMSEV, the Buffalo is more than a rover.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

EPICENESS!!! Finally, may I ask, what about a landing vehicle?

I recall seeing that the Copernicus has some kind of landing frame. The saddle trusses will be modular enough to serve as the landing frame; you'll have landing legs, landing jets, a cargo ramp, and the like. The stock payload shrouds will serve to cover the frame.

What about a DAV/LV as a separate craft that docks to it. For more references for DTV look at this

http://spaceodyssey.dmns.org/media/49057/hse_development.pdf

Neat document! :) I have read some of it, I like how the Solar Electric Propulsion Vehicle Concept specifies an in-space MMSEV... I have been planning for the Buffalo to have a similar role. :)

A (Stockalike) MMSEV would be awesome!!! So... no DAV then? Though, all in all, I'd prefer a MMSEV for use around Asteroids would be epic!

PS: This mod is technically stock alike? Right?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the launchpad for the MAV could be the cargo bay for the Buffalo.

Edited by davidy12

A (Stockalike) MMSEV would be awesome!!! So... no DAV then? Though, all in all, I'd prefer a MMSEV for use around Asteroids would be epic!

PS: This mod is technically stock alike? Right?

Yup! The Buffalo MSEV is based upon NASA's MMSEV, and while the initial configuration is a rover, you can easily add RCS thrusters to it and with some Infernal Robotics (with zoidinfuser's rework), you will have an asteroid explorer.

I threw this together real quick but I don't have IR installed on this PC. It gives you an idea of what you can do with Pathfinder's Buffalo as an in-space MSEV:

kH0D2yp.png

I do not see a vertically mounted DAV being feasible in a 3.75m support frame, but maybe one that is horizontally mounted with some...rather kerbal methodologies to launch it into the air...

OHHHH YEAHHHH!!!! That'll be awesome. My dream of making a "The Dunan" like story will finally come true. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Still an MMSEV will be awesome. It'll also make maneuvering around asteroids much better so we can observe them at all angles, because observing with a capsule or even a cupola module type craft just seems unnatural.