failing contracts = unlimited funds

Yemo

After going bankrupt,

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86651-Bankrupt%21-No-money-no-available-contracts%21

I found out that failing contracts is a source of unlimited funds, just like in real life (when you shaped the system to make yourself system relevant aka banks).

1. you accept all available contracts

2. you use the money on whatever stuff you like

3. when out of money, you cancel all contracts

4. the contracts are offered again

5. you start over from 1.

Just like in real life, the reputation goes down, but no one cares and you still get all the funds for free.

And the bigger you are (research), the better it works.

If you are smart about it:

1. you accept all available contracts

2. you use the money to build stuff and park it around KSC

3. when out of money, you cancel all contracts

4. the contracts are offered again

5. you start over from 1.

6. after repeating that for some time, you recover all your parked assets and cash in the funds

7. voilà, legally rich in kerbin economy

Pretty realistic, just as in real life. :cool:

Edited by Yemo

But isn't there a penalty on the bottom of each contract, telling how much you'll lose if you fail a contract? And they cost nearly as much as the funds they give you.

Plus, don't you get more money when contracts are completed? And the money you initially get is a small amount of starter funds?

@Tortoise:

Yeah, but there is no debt. So if I spend all funds and park them outside, it doesnt matter if they substract 10funds or 100000, my account cant go below 0, too big to fail I guess ;-).

@nimbim:

That sounds like actual work and would probably take hours...

What working people call fraud, I call success!

Now I just have to come up with a bogus theory how that is good for everyone.

Trickle down kerbonomics or something like that.

edit: just had to make a fitting avatar :)

Edited by Yemo

That seems like a lot of effort. You devote a lot of effort into fraud when you could make friends with the right people and get paid while doing nothing at all.

Another way of getting infinite funds:

Have a ship with a kerbal, solar panels (Or RTGs would work too I guess), and an antenna in LKO

Wait until the contract "Get science from LKO" is offered

Do a crew report/EVA report, transmit data

Get the reward for completing the contract

Profit!

If you have a thermometer or gravioli detector, you don't even need a Kerbal.

It also works for the following missions:

"Plant a flag at X" where X is anywhere you have landed a Kerbal on

"Science from X" where X is anywhere you've sent a probe/ship to.

I don't see it as a lot of effort just for the sake of getting a lot of money. It's a lot of effort for testing and balancing a new feature of a game that's still in development. Yemo is just being a diligent tester, and I'll +rep anyone for that any day

I don't see it as a lot of effort just for the sake of getting a lot of money. It's a lot of effort for testing and balancing a new feature of a game that's still in development. Yemo is just being a diligent tester, and I'll +rep anyone for that any day

What I meant was, it's not an imbalance because it takes so much effort. Furthermore, Squad has explicitly stated that advances on contracts are supposed to make bankruptcy impossible, so I'd say it's working exactly as they said it would.

What I meant was, it's not an imbalance because it takes so much effort. Furthermore, Squad has explicitly stated that advances on contracts are supposed to make bankruptcy impossible, so I'd say it's working exactly as they said it would.

What I said still stands. This is a feature that is still in its infancy, so there will likely be many changes to it in the future. All he's doing is providing data, saying "Hey, I know it's designed to be broken, but this is one way in which it becomes meaningless." Squad can do what they like with that information.

This made me crack up a little. :)

But as pointed out, it's an awful lot of effort just to defraud the Kerbal Kongress (or whatever you want to call the legislating body of Kerbin) for a little money...

And as your Reputation declines, the contracts you get offered become more and more meaningless and low-value...

Regards,

Northstar

You call it funny fraud - I call it pointless feature. Cause that's what it is: 4 months spend on a 2 big features that are basically: meaningless to the gameplay and only introduce additional clickfest cause in no way it limits anything you can do. SSTO, reusable components, etc - are just a waste of time, cause any reward you get from them is meaningless in comparison to what you can get while being bankrupt.

When i PLAY KSP, i have a working space agency in mind. I want my missions completed, my contracts fulfilled and my designs up in space.

I never try to beat a game, i want to play it. And watching some numbers climb or getting more out of nothing is simply not a good gamers way.

Entertainment starts with the wish to be entertained not by cracking the system.

You call it funny fraud - I call it pointless feature. Cause that's what it is: 4 months spend on a 2 big features that are basically: meaningless to the gameplay and only introduce additional clickfest cause in no way it limits anything you can do. SSTO, reusable components, etc - are just a waste of time, cause any reward you get from them is meaningless in comparison to what you can get while being bankrupt.

The more complex a game, the more you need roleplay/house rules to make it competitive/fun.

As Scott Manley and other have shown, you can get above 2500 science on your first mission. Or you can place temperature probes in all orbits for science contracts. Or do the bankruptcy thing. Or just hyperedit.

From my point of view, unmodded game mechanics can be loose to cater to a wide audience. For specific stuff, there are mods (deadly reentry anyone?) and house rules.

Edited by Yemo

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Edited by JSD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.