How is 64 bit working for you ?

ouion

Well, I started of with 0.24 64bits and apart from the decouplers and the issue with staging, I had to press the spacebar two or three times for it to work, all went very well. I haven't been in career mode long enough to really use right clicking to transfer propellants between tanks, so I don't know if that would have been an issue as well, right clicking in the VAB to change initial loads or settings of components wasn't a problem here.

(OS Windows 7 prof. 64bits CPU Intel i7 920, NVidia Geforce GTS 250)

For the unmodded install in career mode I went back to the 32bits version for now, until these small issues are ironed out and then I go for a modded x64 install. ;-)

Talking about 64bits and v.0.24 there's one other thing that puzzles me when looking at the Mod section and the upgrades to this new version there. One would expect that, since most use a *.dll format that there would be issued two flavors starting with v. 0.24 compatebility, one compiled for 32bits and one compiled for the new 64bits format to take optimal advantage. Up to now that doesn't seem to be the case.

Greets,

Jan

I have to say that it has a few quirks now and then, but I doubt that is due to being 64 as we are ramping up the mod list and graphics to the max and some conflicts might arise :P

I think it`s best to answer next week when all modders have been able to update and find conflicts here and there to fix :)

Modlist I used for the visuals:

Texture Replacer as basis: http://tinyurl.com/kxuau79

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements for city lights and clouds:http://tinyurl.com/optb7wa

Green Skull MEGA texture pack for backdrop and new suits:http://tinyurl.com/px4smrx

Distant Object Enhancement so planets and moons are visible:http://tinyurl.com/ph3yhef

As last install Better Atmospheres: http://tinyurl.com/kpxwkjm

High res packs and ofcourse max res in ksp settings.

Just watchout with installing as some distribute old dll`s with their mods and you will have to get the updated RealSolarSystem dll.

Edited by Kamuchi

Just as a point of interest, graphics cards (i.e. GPUs) use a separate RAM cache than the rest of your computer. Mine is an nVidea GeForce GTX 660M with 2GB of RAM, but my CPU has 8GB of RAM (though as mentioned I'm about to expand this to 16GB). Actually I'm also looking into an SSD to decrease load times, but that'll be a while. I was already able to play KSP on max graphics settings so I don't think that'll change, but the new RAM on my CPU should make my giant 1000+ part space stations run a lot smoother. :D

Talking about 64bits and v.0.24 there's one other thing that puzzles me when looking at the Mod section and the upgrades to this new version there. One would expect that, since most use a *.dll format that there would be issued two flavors starting with v. 0.24 compatebility, one compiled for 32bits and one compiled for the new 64bits format to take optimal advantage. Up to now that doesn't seem to be the case.

dll itself is just a packaging. KSP uses .NET/mono for all the plugins, the plugins all target the generic .NET framework rather than a specific CPU architecture, KSP itself would now include a 64 bit version of mono and any supporting libraries which use native code, but that doesnt change which dll's it then has to load. Hypothetically the plugins could be loaded in Mono on ARM or MIPS rather than x86. Think about it, we never had to distribute mods for different operating systems either.

I just ordered 8GB of extra RAM just so I could get the most out of this 64 bit! Will be keeping my eye on the various bugs and mods I love so much. Planning to go insane!

Just adding more RAM wont make anything any quicker, you only need more RAM if you were running out of RAM before

dll itself is just a packaging. KSP uses .NET/mono for all the plugins, the plugins all target the generic .NET framework rather than a specific CPU architecture, KSP itself would now include a 64 bit version of mono and any supporting libraries which use native code, but that doesnt change which dll's it then has to load. Hypothetically the plugins could be loaded in Mono on ARM or MIPS rather than x86. Think about it, we never had to distribute mods for different operating systems either.

Okay, obviously my old C and C++ programming days roared it's head here. The whole .NET and related Microsoft's C# environment is a little from past that time for me and I admit I'm not very acquainted with it's inner workings. When the file extension *.dll, or dynamic link library to be precise, is mentioned I obviously have other associations programmer wise then mere plug-in packaging. Thanks for clearing that up. :wink:

Greets,

Jan

Some combinations of mods are working fine for me, other combinations simply fail. Then there are some mods that others say work fine but I cannot get them to work past the loading screens, even with a clean install.

All in all, I suspect I'll be back to x86 once Active Texture Management is working correctly. This does make me sad, but we have many, many more eyes looking at the x64 issues so I'm sure it will all end well :)

Can someone pm me with info on how to run it 64 bit? I've gotten it through steam. Do I have to use amod or is there something I can change?

You have an executable in the KSP folder where it installed: \steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe

Just run that or add a shortcut to your desktop

Running it in window mode can be done with adding the command -popupwindow in the shortcut target:

"D:\Kerbal\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe" -popupwindow [don`t change the path, this is my exe location]

Some combinations of mods are working fine for me, other combinations simply fail. Then there are some mods that others say work fine but I cannot get them to work past the loading screens, even with a clean install.

All in all, I suspect I'll be back to x86 once Active Texture Management is working correctly. This does make me sad, but we have many, many more eyes looking at the x64 issues so I'm sure it will all end well :)

Try this fix and report how it works, please

You have an executable in the KSP folder where it installed: \steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe

Just run that or add a shortcut to your desktop

Running it in window mode can be done with adding the command -popupwindow in the shortcut target:

"D:\Kerbal\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe" -popupwindow [don`t change the path, this is my exe location]

Or, you can right-click on the game in your STEAM library, go to Properties. Then, in the properties window, select "Set Launch Options" button. Inside that, type the path to your KSP like in Kamuchis post:

"D:\Kerbal\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe" -popupwindow %command%

Be sure to change the above path to YOUR install location for KSP. If you don't want the game fullscreen-windowed, remove the -popupwindow text, but leave the %command%

Now, each time you launch KSP from your STEAM library, it'll run the 64 bit version, track your time, allow for the STEAM overlay and save pics in STEAM rather than not having the functionality if you run it outside STEAM.

And back to the topic, KSP x64 is running just fine for me, other than the known issues (loading screen "bug" where the Astronaut Facility graphics show up, decoupler bug, etc..). Only crashes have been due to an un-updated mod (which is MY fault).

Edited by Ignath
Replying to the original topic

And back to the topic, KSP x64 is running just fine for me, other than the known issues (loading screen "bug" where the Astronaut Facility graphics show up, decoupler bug, etc..). Only crashes have been due to an un-updated mod (which is MY fault).

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/87127-Fixed-Decoupler-for-KSP-x64-on-Windows-v2-%28July-20%29 ;)

So far 64-bit is really smooth but it crashes so much that I have switched back to 32-bit until it's a little more stable. Over all though I'm really happy that it's a thing now, keep up the good work guys. :)

Well, I don't know what is going on but just ask if wish at some future date the gift of my 1st born.

The 0.24 update to KW was released a short time ago so I tried adding it to my stable configuration. Crash during game start <grrrr>

Created a fresh KSP install, added KW and all was good - oh my, that 5m engine :) - Next I added MechJeb... Crash during game start.

Okay, this really is getting stupid.

Added ATM 3.1 and applied your truecolor fix. All looked fine.

Added MechJeb. Okay.

Added toolbar, chatterer... Strange, everything is still ok.

Editor Extensions. SCANSat. DMagic Orbital Science... Everything still good.

Finally added the current IS mod, this has never run for me in x64 even on a clean install... Party!!!!!!!

More testing needed of course but at the moment this is all working :)

I need to test KAC and IR but I can live without them if necessary.

Edited by ecat

Know the annoyance with the click issue, but personally it`s a iniminitiny issue when I can crank up the graphics to the maximum, and beyond :sticktongue:

Decoupler for 64 is sortof fixed, note the top post on page 5 for a better config: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/87127-Fixed-Decoupler-for-KSP-x64-on-Windows-v2-%28July-20%29

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.