If mods are .24 compatible does that mean they work with x64 too?

SpaceSmith

Very probably. It really depends on the mod; there's no formal definition that says "it's not 0.24 compatible unless these criteria are met". That said, the OP will probably say if it doesn't work on x86-64, and if it doesn't say anything about it it probably works fine.

Nearly all do.

There are ofcourse rare exceptions and I only know of one: Goodspeed pumps

For some reason it doesn`t works in x64, but only time befor it gets fixed :)

How to know in advance, impossible ;)

The only significant difference between the 32- and 64-bit builds of KSP is the number of bits used by the system when executing the application, leading to other resulting differences in the builds (think RAM limits, performance, etc). Therefore mods generally need not be rebuilt to work on 64-bit vs 32-bit KSP. Granted, not every mod will work out-of-box, but for the most part things should be compatible with all versions since they're just expansions on the game itself.

TL;DR: Mods should work the same because Unity and KSP are made well and 64-bit is just an operational difference, but not everything will work 100% of the time.

Edited by OrbitusII

No, because I can't find anything saying whether it's been updated or not, and don't have time to hunt through thread after thread to find it.

Well, I suggest you take another look at the main KER release thread or the sticky "Community Mods and Plugins Library" thread in the "Add-on Releases and Projects Showcase" sub-forum and see what they say. Do you really think that any mod would be clearly listed as compatible with a particular version of KSP if it still had such a serious bug?

So if I've downloaded the 32bit version of some mods and start running 64bit down the line when it's a bit more stable, will I need to hunt down which ones I've done 32bit on and replace them with their 64bit versions or should I be good to go? Should I just say screw it and default to choosing 64bit versions?

So if I've downloaded the 32bit version of some mods and start running 64bit down the line when it's a bit more stable, will I need to hunt down which ones I've done 32bit on and replace them with their 64bit versions or should I be good to go? Should I just say screw it and default to choosing 64bit versions?

You just need to keep them at the latest versions. For the mods that support 64bit, its the same mod for both.

All KSP mods are written in C# (or at the very least, another language that also uses .NET or Mono so it can call the same API routines as C#).

One of the features of this is that when they're compiled to a DLL, the DLL isn't *really* machine language like old-school DLLs in Windows used to be. It's much more like how Java Classes work. The DLL contains opcodes in a hardware-abstracted psuedo-machine-language that won't be converted into actual machine language instructions until runtime.

What this means is that the mods' DLLs don't really contain 32-bit or 64-bit code. They're abstracted generically. The act of turning them into 32-bit instructions or 64-bit instructions happens dynamically when you launch the game.

This is why the mods' GameData folder doesn't have a separate _x64_ version of it for the 64-bit mods like KSP_Data does. In principle, the mods shouldn't care whether they're being run 32-bit or 64-bit. It's only when doing something deeply hardware-specific (like mucking with the OS timings, or communicating with video cards' hardware acceleration) that the difference matters, thus Unity needs work to be 64-bit compatible, but the mods generally don't.)

What this means is that the mods' DLLs don't really contain 32-bit or 64-bit code. They're abstracted generically. The act of turning them into 32-bit instructions or 64-bit instructions happens dynamically when you launch the game.

Pretty much this. When you have a mod that works in 32-bit mode but not 64-bit mode, the mod is probably tripping over a Unity bug in the 64-bit target that doesn't exist in the 32 bit target. It's possible that the bug may exist in KSP itself, but having seen the kinds of bugs that Unity has been turning up that are 64-bit win specific, it tends to be my "usual suspect."

• 2 weeks later...

I know when I build a plugin DLL in Visual studio it asks for the target CPU if I use x86 it will crash on 64bit KSP and a x64 will crash 32bit KSP but you can also choose any cpu and it will run in both with no problems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.