-UPDATED- Kerbomax Rockodyne: Super-Large Stockalike Parts pack concept art.

Kerbomax Rockodyne is a combined company co-headed by both the former vice-president of Kerbodyne and the former executive of Rockomax. Their combined resources are ideal for making extremely gigantic rocket parts, up to Size 4 (5 meters in diameter). They are very competitive, especially against Rockomax and Kerbodyne.

They are also known for a well-respected line of toys, G.I. Jeb action figures and My Little Spaceship dolls.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

If you would like to model these parts, please contact me first and make sure you produce them faithfully and with Stockalike textures.

1.5 Year Later EDIT: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/123643-wip-kolossal-yet-another-5m-launcher-pack/

Edited by GregroxMun

Great sketches, but... Saturn V again? Sure, it's a great rocket, but how about make something different? There is at least 5 Saturn Vs (Lovad, DannyTX, KW, NP, FASA), how about Energia and its derivatives (Uragan and Vulcan-Hercules)?

Great sketches, but... Saturn V again? Sure, it's a great rocket, but how about make something different? There is at least 5 Saturn Vs (Lovad, DannyTX, KW, NP, FASA), how about Energia and its derivatives (Uragan and Vulcan-Hercules)?

KSP's parts are mostly based on American NASA rockets. Also, none of those are proper stockalike packs. STX has parts to make a Saturn V, but I feel they're too specific to the Saturn V.

I think segmented SRBs would be a great idea. You might need a plug-in to adjust the thrust based on total segments, but you could also just set the thrust really high so it can be lowered with tweakables to an appropriate amount. Also, if some were to make segmented SRBs, *please* make them 1.875 meters! It's close in proportion to the real Space Shuttle SRBs compared to the 3.75 meter fuel tanks (which should really be 4.125 meters instead). We already have 1.25 meter SRBs for 2.5 meter fuel tanks.

Best of luck with this project. :)

First off, I don't think more Saturn-like parts is bad. Also, nobody's done one in Stock-alike style yet, so the basic design idea here is still unique even if it IS "more Saturn-V parts".

Besides, I don't think that KSP has seen a native 3.75m SRB yet, except possibly players running RSS/RO.

Also, Career mode means making a rocket not cost a million Funds is important, and SRB's are basically the cheapest expendable delta-V source, full stop. Whatever stats it ends up having, I'm sure I could find some way to use it, even if it's just to start impractically large fuel depots on their journey into orbit.

NovaPunch might have a couple of 2.5m SRBs, but there's plenty of room for more in that department, too.

Somehow I think the idea for these gigantic SRBs came from a Saturn-V upgrade study that proposed using up to four ~260-inch SRBs to get bigger payloads off the pad. Launchers from that study start with MLV-xxx IIRC.

Those same studies proposed stretched versions of the S-IC first stage, S-II second stage, and the S-IVB third stage. Those stretched stages also had proposed engine upgrades. The F-1A was an upgraded and up-rated F-1, the J-2T was a J-2 with a toroidal aerospike nozzle, and the HG-3 was a high combustion chamber pressure engine based on the J-2 which was used as the basis for the RS-25 SSME.

If ever there was a US-designed rocket proposed IRL that Jeb wouldn't add more boosters to, the MLV-series Saturn-V derivative launchers would probably be it.

Edited by SciMan

First off, I don't think more Saturn-like parts is bad. Also, nobody's done one in Stock-alike style yet, so the basic design idea here is still unique even if it IS "more Saturn-V parts".

Besides, I don't think that KSP has seen a native 3.75m SRB yet, except possibly players running RSS/RO.

Also, Career mode means making a rocket not cost a million Funds is important, and SRB's are basically the cheapest expendable delta-V source, full stop. Whatever stats it ends up having, I'm sure I could find some way to use it, even if it's just to start impractically large fuel depots on their journey into orbit.

NovaPunch might have a couple of 2.5m SRBs, but there's plenty of room for more in that department, too.

Somehow I think the idea for these gigantic SRBs came from a Saturn-V upgrade study that proposed using up to four ~260-inch SRBs to get bigger payloads off the pad. Launchers from that study start with MLV-xxx IIRC.

Those same studies proposed stretched versions of the S-IC first stage, S-II second stage, and the S-IVB third stage. Those stretched stages also had proposed engine upgrades. The F-1A was an upgraded and up-rated F-1, the J-2T was a J-2 with a toroidal aerospike nozzle, and the HG-3 was a high combustion chamber pressure engine based on the J-2 which was used as the basis for the RS-25 SSME.

If ever there was a US-designed rocket proposed IRL that Jeb wouldn't add more boosters to, the MLV-series Saturn-V derivative launchers would probably be it.

yes, SRBs were meant tobe similar to Saturn MLV.

• 3 weeks later...

The stockalike look should be on the lines of the ARM parts, or the RLA parts. The 2.5m stock parts and some of the 1.25 parts should be retextured or thrown out completely. These parts look great, keeping along that style. Saturn-style is the best look, in my opinion, but also one that is the most realistic while retaining the stockalike feel.

Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:
The stockalike look should be on the lines of the ARM parts, or the RLA parts. The 2.5m stock parts and some of the 1.25 parts should be retextured or thrown out completely. These parts look great, keeping along that style. Saturn-style is the best look, in my opinion, but also one that is the most realistic while retaining the stockalike feel.

I disagree with you. 2.5 and 1.25 meter parts look great. They are a perfect Kerbalized Style.

EDIT 1.5 Years later: No they don't. 2.5m rocket parts are horrible.

Edited by GregroxMun

• 3 months later...

Sorry to necro this thread, but since it sort of faded out, I just thought for those who were following, it's worth pointing out that I went ahead and made a 5m "ARM-like" parts pack. It's not based on the concept art in this thread, but it's an alternative for those who were hoping to get a 5m pack. ;)

Release Thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100408

ONe4glk.jpg

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.