[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

imo i would rather see it have instead of 1 resouce what about alot of ones thats already being used by other mods that would make it easy for others to keep their mods up to date.

basialy imo start out with 3 basic resouces that can be then used by modders to make other stuff so say

1 is ore

2 is liquids

3 is something

process would be something like ore----->to what the mod wants then after taht they could branch it even farther if they want

by doing it that way the moders if they didnt want to wouldnt have to add a new recouse scan just have a refinery to change it. for example say a mod uses iron,alumium and 1 other. they could have where a refinery breaks down the normal ore into differnt ammounts of each so iron would be most common followed by less of others. with that process it can get fairly complicated depending on what the modder wants but keep it simple enough to not break either mod when updated roll out

Edited by sidfu

basialy imo start out with 3 basic resouces that can be then used by modders to make other stuff so say

1 is ore

2 is liquids

3 is something

Just as suggestion as it fits:

1) Any metal (iron, magnesium, titanium ...)

2) Water

3) Helium3

:)

Just as suggestion as it fits:

1) Any metal (iron, magnesium, titanium ...)

2) Water

3) Helium3

:)

i was just throwing out names u want something to stand roughly for all of that type thats why ore is good since could cover nearly every resouce mined from ground

You can use any of that for logos if you like :)

http://i.imgur.com/CXARFiR.png

Beautiful!

Karbonite as fuel for long term cryopods?

...actually, why not?

Sooo tempting... but after the first release ;) I honestly want something scrappy out there in less than a week.

Why not give it different properties if refined in zero-g environments? something along the lines of "if you refine it in orbit you get more" or much more interesting "if you refine it in orbit you get a fuel with better properties"?

oh and it would be a lot of fun if we could sell it, import style!

Selling would be a go with recovery. Other bits I'd hold off on due to keeping within the constraints of ORS

Since Kethane has the KH4 thing (I think that is the chemical recipe or somehting like that), what will karbonite have?

Dunno, somone suggest something :D

Let me know when you have finalized anything related to the specific resources you'll be using.

Will do. My belief is for the sake of simplicity, to just do Karbonite. Any other resources are already handled by other mods (MKS, KSP-I, etc.)

Would model stockalike parts for this :).

PLEASE!!! I would be incredibly grateful! I can already use BahamutoD's drills since those are CC licensed, and stock dishes as detectors for starters.. so I'd just need a few more parts to do a scrappy startup version - figure a tank, a converter, a jet engine, an atmospheric scoop, and something to suck Karbonite out of oceans and we're golden. Let me know what parts you can do and how soon :)

@RoverDude : how will you deal with the presence of ModStatistics in ScanSat ?

I can't (nor would I) control the choices of other mods, and if other mods want to support or use Karbonite then that's fine (sharing is good), but I am going to be incredibly careful about any dependencies or bundling things that go in the box with Karbonite. i.e. ORS has permissive licensing, as does FireSpitter if that ends up as a dependency for any parts.

Honestly the reason I won't use Kethane is due to its :one resource to rule them all" policy. Its boring. Why do the same thing again?

A good resource system mod, IMHO:

1) Diversity of resources

2) Diversity of conversion of resources

3) optional support for a wide range of parts and containers from other mods

4) open API to allow other mods to work with

Using ORS is a huge step in the right direction as it provides that Open API, it just needs a mod to provide models and implementation. If you do decide to go with one resource only, then I hope you build the system in such a way as to allow seamless expansion to multiple resources by a companion mod.

Since Kethane has the KH4 thing (I think that is the chemical recipe or somehting like that), what will karbonite have?

Carbonate has the chemical formula (CH3)-2, which means that it's a molecular ion; it forms ionic salts such as Ammonium Carbonate. "Carbonite" doesn't exist; it's a trademark for a backup company. Quite frankly, it won't make a fuel, although you could harvest other ions from Carbonate materials that are of various uses. (KH3)-2 would work, although it would make more sense to say that you're harvesting fuels from "Karbonite based salts/materials."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonate

Edited by Raven.

Will do. My belief is for the sake of simplicity, to just do Karbonite. Any other resources are already handled by other mods (MKS, KSP-I, etc.)

I have to release a quick update to fix some RPM problems, so I'll add Karbonite to the list of ORS resources and give you the required SCANtype to use.

Love the idea. I liked kethane, but had no real reason to use it. Now that you'll have it paired with the MKS/OKS mods, you'll essentially have a complete permanent-base-mod-in-a-box going!

@Alexusta & Mihara: you two are some of the most creative modders in the KSP community. Have some rep for helping others.

EDIT: Apparently I can't give you any more rep Roverdude. Still, you are on par with Majir,Sumghai, and zzz in terms of making fucntional, good-looking parts, and having responsive coding skills. Keep improving the modding community dude!

Edited by sharpspoonful

Also, just my own thoughts on all the people saying that there are already several resource systems out there:

There are also several life support mods out there and everyone gets along fine. People pick the one they like best that they have the fewest problems with and move on with their lives.

I don't run Kethane because it's honestly fairly boring to me. I've used it, but my personal feeling was that it made things too easy for the way I play. So I don't use it. I kinda like the way you can gather multiple resources with Interstellar, but I feel like the mod itself is rather bloated for parts and features, there's too much in the mod that I just don't want to play with.

I'd love for this to be somewhere in between those two. More than one resource, means of in-situ resource extraction and processing that isn't so easy as just dropping a lander with a drill and tanks, and not a ton of kooky sci-fi parts. I'd also hope that the number of resources doesn't balloon into something ridiculous.

Just my thoughts though.

Also, just my own thoughts on all the people saying that there are already several resource systems out there:

There are also several life support mods out there and everyone gets along fine. People pick the one they like best that they have the fewest problems with and move on with their lives.

I don't run Kethane because it's honestly fairly boring to me. I've used it, but my personal feeling was that it made things too easy for the way I play. So I don't use it. I kinda like the way you can gather multiple resources with Interstellar, but I feel like the mod itself is rather bloated for parts and features, there's too much in the mod that I just don't want to play with.

I'd love for this to be somewhere in between those two. More than one resource, means of in-situ resource extraction and processing that isn't so easy as just dropping a lander with a drill and tanks, and not a ton of kooky sci-fi parts. I'd also hope that the number of resources doesn't balloon into something ridiculous.

Just my thoughts though.

Honestly the reason I won't use Kethane is due to its :one resource to rule them all" policy. Its boring. Why do the same thing again?

A good resource system mod, IMHO:

1) Diversity of resources

2) Diversity of conversion of resources

3) optional support for a wide range of parts and containers from other mods

4) open API to allow other mods to work with

Using ORS is a huge step in the right direction as it provides that Open API, it just needs a mod to provide models and implementation. If you do decide to go with one resource only, then I hope you build the system in such a way as to allow seamless expansion to multiple resources by a companion mod.

So to answer both of these :) Bear in mind I would already have MKS/OKS's Minerals, Ore (also used by EL), Substrate, and Water. So we start at four, plus Karbonite being the new fuel based one in the box. And since this is nice and open, I leave it as an exercise for other people to extend, change, and improve this as they see fit :)

So someone may just want Karbonite on it's own to replace Kethane, or they may choose to add a mod that adds a half dozen new parts and resources, or maybe they add that plus MKS for more stuff... either way, with restrictive licensing removed it means people can get creative and have fun.