[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

hmm.. I think that the idea of dropping containers with a parachute onto kerbin would be cool. but doesn't everything that hits the atmosphere outside a few klom from an active vessel just disapear?

There are a couple modders that have a somewhat working solution to parachuting down debris and such, (DebRefund and StageRecovery) There a on the alpha side, buggy and not always working, but its being adressed =)

The simple solution is to attach a probe core to the tank your chuteing down and follow it down so it doesnt despawn.

magico13 made KCT and released a part of it, StageRecovery as an independent mod. This would make orbital drops possible and awesome.

Fire off a Karbonite container on a collision course with Kerbin, make sure it has parachutes and you're golden.

Like literally, you would rake in cash and would probably be able to cover yourself in gold.

oohhh! that is so very damned usefull! for 'realism' sake I already fit my stages with chutes, this'd mean that actually helps recover costs. sweet! with that addon, this mod comibned with the MKS would really allow for 'shipping' of goods back to kerbin.

I've been eagerly following this tread for the last couple of days. I have a kethane add-on which adds Water as well as other elements to its scanning, mining and conversion systems and its been a bit of a headache skirting around the licence and now the issue of mod statistics too.

I would very much like to 'port over to kerbonite at some point and would like to help or provide input if you need it.

hmm.. I think that the idea of dropping containers with a parachute onto kerbin would be cool. but doesn't everything that hits the atmosphere outside a few klom from an active vessel just disapear?

I just slap a probe on it, but definitely mods out there.

I've been eagerly following this tread for the last couple of days. I have a kethane add-on which adds Water as well as other elements to its scanning, mining and conversion systems and its been a bit of a headache skirting around the licence and now the issue of mod statistics too.

I would very much like to 'port over to kerbonite at some point and would like to help or provide input if you need it.

Awesome, let us by all means talk. I would ideally like to make sure there are no conflicts between mods (EL, MKS, Karbonite, etc.) and foster good interoperability. So while Karbonite will be the one-element mod, I can see a place where there's a whole pallete of compatible extensions for realism, variety, what have you.

Wanted to start a new game with 0.24, now I'm waiting for this! Can't wait to test Karbonite :)

If only those two mods X-37B Mass Driver could be completed aswell, it would be perfect (sending back Karbonite and space products from MKS/OKS back to Kerbin :D).

Edit: Hey RoverDude, if you run out of stuff to do (in a couple of years ;)), you could make a Cargo Return System (CRS), a launch module for a space station/Colony with rebuildable heatshielded cargo containers and a little RCS for course correction...and parachutes :)

Edited by Stage

Aaah, you just spammed my mailbox :confused:. 25 new 'issues'

Those are just working notes so I can track the stuff I need for launch, especially as I am coordinating efforts of multiple modelers and coders ;)

I'll be handling all of the initial configs and test parts, plus the ORS stuff (most of which is done).

Side note - for the Karbonite engines, they will be smoky, low efficiency brutes more for convenience than for replacement. A real world analogue would be the multi-fuel engines that can take in truely horrible things and produce power, albeit at a low efficiency. So these will be low ISP engines where there's a real consideration for whether to use one of them for simplicity, or to stack them with an inline converter and generator.

Side note - for the Karbonite engines, they will be smoky, low efficiency brutes more for convenience than for replacement. A real world analogue would be the multi-fuel engines that can take in truely horrible things and produce power, albeit at a low efficiency. So these will be low ISP engines where there's a real consideration for whether to use one of them for simplicity, or to stack them with an inline converter and generator.

Noted. time to dig up the rapier engine config file again. :)

Awesome, let us by all means talk. I would ideally like to make sure there are no conflicts between mods (EL, MKS, Karbonite, etc.) and foster good interoperability. So while Karbonite will be the one-element mod, I can see a place where there's a whole pallete of compatible extensions for realism, variety, what have you.

First off ModuleManager is your friend - if you can make sure that elements are tagged so they can be accessed through this if anyone needs to change any settings - also have folders where putting files will get picked up by the karbonite mod for things such as resources and be open for other users to modify your parts if they so wish - the main problems I have with kethane is that its very against modulemanager interactions with the converters - if I want to change one conversion there is no proper way to refer to it as they lack tags that MM can pick up on. Also I wasn't allowed to create new parts using the kethane parts as templates - for example I wasn't allowed to take the kethane tanks and change the green trim to blue as this violated the agreement - even when I asked the person who created the tanks for the kethane mod he was told that he's not allowed to create tanks for anyone else as this violated his agreement with Mojjiiirrrolrr WTH -.-

magico13 made KCT and released a part of it, StageRecovery as an independent mod. This would make orbital drops possible and awesome.

Fire off a Karbonite container on a collision course with Kerbin, make sure it has parachutes and you're golden.

Like literally, you would rake in cash and would probably be able to cover yourself in gold.

I think StageRecovery is going to be abandoned/absorbed in favor of DebRefund, which is a pretty awesome product.

I think StageRecovery is going to be abandoned/absorbed in favor of DebRefund, which is a pretty awesome product.

Well magico13 said it in his post http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86677?p=1283286&viewfull=1#post1283286 but he will keep updating as long as he can (and on demand).

- - - Updated - - -

2.5m converter! Imagine spinning fans and old-gas-pump style numbers.

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/karboniteconverter1.png

awesome, keep up the good work.

Those are just working notes so I can track the stuff I need for launch, especially as I am coordinating efforts of multiple modelers and coders ;)

I'll be handling all of the initial configs and test parts, plus the ORS stuff (most of which is done).

Actually that is a good direction, you can make them look like the nasty smoke coughing engines the Reavers use in Firefly.

I've been working on a radial air scoop for Karbonite.

wDv8b1e.png

Is that texture good? It's based off of Nertea's colour scheme. It probably needs to be shrunk some and modified a bit, but for an hours work it's not bad :).

http://i.imgur.com/wDv8b1e.png

Is that texture good? It's based off of Nertea's colour scheme. It probably needs to be shrunk some and modified a bit, but for an hours work it's not bad :).

The texture looks like it could use some work. In my opinion there is too much white. Maybe make it black with an orange stripe down the middle.

http://i.imgur.com/wDv8b1e.png

Also I'd want to see how it fits on 1.25/2.5m cylinders because it does look a bit flat, so it may have issues with curvature

Whipped up 2.5m engine taking some ques from Nertea's tank and converters, keeping to the same color scheme. more of a workhorse engine, low efficiency and packs a decent punch. will create two sets of FX for Karbonite and LFOX modes.

Hi4huOe.png

Whipped up 2.5m engine taking some ques from Nertea's tank and converters, keeping to the same color scheme. more of a workhorse engine, low efficiency and packs a decent punch. will create two sets of FX for Karbonite and LFOX modes.

http://i.imgur.com/Hi4huOe.png

Look at that gorgeous thing! I can never heap enough praise upon you modders. I hope you realize how much enjoyment you add to the game for so many others. :)

http://i.imgur.com/Hi4huOe.png

Top notch! Feel free to do a pull request to the Models folder in Karbonite, or just send me a dropbox link to the assets :) Either the mu and textures or even fbx if that's easier and I can handle the PartTools bit in Unity