[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

Awesome. Karbonite devouring monster!
Those magificent kerbals and their flying machines, they go upitty up up, they go to Jooly Jool Jool...

The way things are rolling, Jool is going to be one amazingly entertaining planet when this mod hits.

The way things are rolling, Jool is going to be one amazingly entertaining planet when this mod hits.

Agreed! I can't wait to put up an orbital refueling station around Jool, with a fleet of cloud catcher ships dipping down for raw fuel to convert. Should be fun! :)

Also, dat turboprop! I may have squeed a bit when I saw it, looks and sounds amazing!

Edit: Avoiding double post...

I was thinking about the whole xenon issue, and I tend to lean toward the the side of being able to produce it, but at a severe conversion rate. At that same rate, I would think Argon and Hydrogen would be doable, at the same rates, or maybe a bit higher for hydrogen since it's more abundant. But it got me thinking, since there are a few inconsistencies between mods as far as resources, would it be possible to have an MM config to have the game convert one to another, like the KSPI version of Hydrogen and the Near Future one? I can't run them together right now anyway (stupid slow computer), but if I did, I figured it would be easier to mine one resource for both mod parts than two resources that are essentially the same thing.

Edited by Ghostshark27

Looks out of date. If you use MKS and Karbonite, make sure you completely delete OpenResourceSystems and UmbraSpaceIndustries. Then reinstall the mods. The ORS I use is the same one as KSPIO-Experimental to avoid conflicts, etc.

I had exactly the same issue as Ringkeeper. Also found my extractor didn't work today.

Uninstalling ORS and Umbra folders and reinstalling fixed it. Cheers.

Also, once again, congratulations guys on a solid mod.

Wow, this mod is looking really great! I have it in my current save but haven't got to mining yet. I like that you put the change log because each day this thread gets a whole lot of posts and I don't really have the time to dig through all of it. :)

In spite of my earlier trepidations, that still looks likes a ton of fun!

search for Antonov AN-70 or Tupolev on youtube for some real applications of the design. You'll see where I borrowed the sound from too. :D

I stand corrected! My apologies. I didn't know how to raise my eyebrows without coming off like a jerk, so I will humbly eat my words! :)

Propellers work like this:

Efficiency of a propeller, is inversely related to the number of blades it has.

So a 2 blade prop is the most fuel efficient possible, however, you get massive performance increases as you up the blade count. Contra-Rotating(Technically, counter rotating props are only on multi-engined craft, where 1 prop turns one way, and the other prop turn the opposite direction, to counter adverse yaw) props are way to pack as many propeller blades onto the same drive shaft as possible. The british experimented with it prior to WWII, and produced a fairly successful aircraft with them(http://www.warbirdalley.com/images/Shackleton-Bomber.jpg). There's even a raced-out P-51H(http://i.imgur.com/DWbWE6L.jpg) that uses them.

Is this compatible with the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod? Or someone got a MM compatibility patch?

I believe a couple of folks are working on community patches to switch EL over to ORS. It would be nice if eventually it becomes one of those out of the box options for EL.

Well I remade the generator, that first one was a tad shameful even for a first go. Main changes: Less awful textures (no more flat textures), better model overall (less sharp angles), an animation (coils in the middle spin)

Stats for the generator as per my part cfg *subject to change/balancing*

mass = 0.5

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 7

maxTemp = 3000

Cost = 5000

Power output: 100 EC for .2 Karbonite

Give me feedback on any changes you guys might have! Remember, Be Brutal!

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvfburpsy0dgjy5/DerpShield%20Mk2.rar

http://imgur.com/a/W1ou9

My honest opinion would be no writing on parts. No start, no Do not press this button. The texture shading on the part isn't monotone, it looks like it got sanded down and is waiting for a paint-job. I think all exceptionally crafted parts need to have some kind of change in appearance when they are powered off/on. I can't tell from those picture, but are those copper coils in the center of the unit? Maybe have them change color as the unit is turned on and heats up.

So who wants to fly a jet on Eve?

http://i.imgur.com/R4LGVRC.png

I know I want the atmospheric Karbonite engines for it! I'd probably just use them on Jool and Laythe. Since Laythe has Karbonite in it's atmosphere the Karbonite atmospheric engines make a karbonite fueled Laythe SSTO Possible (Atmospheric engines using karbonite and rockets fueled by karbonite converted into fuel).

I know I want the atmospheric Karbonite engines for it! I'd probably just use them on Jool and Laythe. Since Laythe has Karbonite in it's atmosphere the Karbonite atmospheric engines make a karbonite fueled Laythe SSTO Possible (Atmospheric engines using karbonite and rockets fueled by karbonite converted into fuel).

That ship above is absolutely a blast on Jool (since it's a Karbonite-rich atmosphere). Result is that at around 30K altitude, I can infiniglide at 75% thrust. Granted, getting the fuel OUT o the atmosphere is a whole different problem, but I expect there will be some incredibly crazy stuff within about fifteen minutes of the next release, which wil lbe happening as soon as I can test the particle collector...

So I made the model for the scramjet but for some reason the .mu exporter I used didn't work, but I'll look into it.

real scramjet that neeed go preete fast to work properly? that would be somethink

So I just kept detailing, and radiators, and then more radiators, then doors, then.... well, this is going to be an unwrapping pain.

radialDrill.png

These are more boring, but still serviceable. They all match the stock 1.25m tank lengths.

karboniteTanks.png

So I just kept detailing, and radiators, and then more radiators, then doors, then.... well, this is going to be an unwrapping pain.

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/radialDrill.png

These are more boring, but still serviceable. They all match the stock 1.25m tank lengths.

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/karboniteTanks.png

So so sweet! As far as unwrapping, I tend to unwrap as go before doors and radiator fins are duplicated/mirrored. saves UV space and time later.

Everything mirrored is instanced, so that's what I'm effectively doing :). I prefer to unwrap at the end generally, it helps me lay out the texture sheet most efficiently for baking.