[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

that could be potentially cool :D. instead of steady thrust, the Karbonite based thruster blocks would work in discreet charges. each charge imparting some impulse. player can adjust the impulse with the thrust slider. we can link a nice explosion sound and a burst of flames and sparks to it.

Heck yes, that sounds too Kerbal!

So, I'm thinking about taking the Karbonite parts and ORS and rejuggle the whole thing to produce RealFuels resources in a moderately realistic-ish manner (i.e. without the Karbonite resource -- electrolize Water to get LiquidH2 and LiquidOxygen, etc). I know KSPI does something vaguely similar, but it's not exactly what I'm aiming at.

Is anyone else doing something like this already? If not, I'm going to jump right in on it.

So, I'm thinking about taking the Karbonite parts and ORS and rejuggle the whole thing to produce RealFuels resources in a moderately realistic-ish manner (i.e. without the Karbonite resource -- electrolize Water to get LiquidH2 and LiquidOxygen, etc). I know KSPI does something vaguely similar, but it's not exactly what I'm aiming at.

Is anyone else doing something like this already? If not, I'm going to jump right in on it.

Awesome! btw - go see my post RE Community Resource Pack, as there are some complexities to ORS that may cause sadness if we are all not careful.

dooooo it! :D

I can handle the visuals... is there anything in stock or otherwise that allows the impulse mechanic? every key press fires off one shot thrust until next time key is pressed. can't think of any modules that would allow me to do this.

that could be potentially cool :D. instead of steady thrust, the Karbonite based thruster blocks would work in discreet charges. each charge imparting some impulse. player can adjust the impulse with the thrust slider. we can link a nice explosion sound and a burst of flames and sparks to it.

Pehaps Nyrath's Orion Nuclear Pulse Rocket plugin could help with that.

I can handle the visuals... is there anything in stock or otherwise that allows the impulse mechanic? every key press fires off one shot thrust until next time key is pressed. can't think of any modules that would allow me to do this.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/28428-Orion-aka-Ol-Boom-boom

those engine has similar mechanic that what u wana do a litlle presentation

may help

Awesome! btw - go see my post RE Community Resource Pack, as there are some complexities to ORS that may cause sadness if we are all not careful.

I've got some resource chains planned right now and I think the only resource that's not already in either RealFuels or TACLS/MKS is a "Hydrogen" resource for gaseous H2, and maybe a "Nitrogen" resource for atmospheric nitrogen (or is that already in ORS?). Universal Storage has a "Hydrogen" resource used for its fuel cell, and I'll stick to the stats of that until told otherwise:

// Mol: H2
// State: Gas at STP
// Units: Liter
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Hydrogen
density = 0.0000000899
unitCost = 0.015
flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = true
}

I've got some resource chains planned right now and I think the only resource that's not already in either RealFuels or TACLS/MKS is a "Hydrogen" resource for gaseous H2, and maybe a "Nitrogen" resource for atmospheric nitrogen (or is that already in ORS?). Universal Storage has a "Hydrogen" resource used for its fuel cell, and I'll stick to the stats of that until told otherwise:

// Mol: H2
// State: Gas at STP
// Units: Liter
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Hydrogen
density = 0.0000000899
unitCost = 0.015
flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = true
}

Thanks - I think there's one in KSPI already btw, I have to do a run through of all of their stuff - although I think they do horrible things like convert Hydrogen into LFO....

So my thought was to go through KSPI/ORS and remove anything that is not used by KSPI (i.e. any demo fluff) and do a pull request.

Thanks - I think there's one in KSPI already btw, I have to do a run through of all of their stuff - although I think they do horrible things like convert Hydrogen into LFO....

So my thought was to go through KSPI/ORS and remove anything that is not used by KSPI (i.e. any demo fluff) and do a pull request.

if i good remember they make from it liquid fulel and from absorbed oxygen oxidiser...

Help - I am having some difficulty in getting the SCANsat integration working. I followed the instructions in the Youtube video that RoverDude posted. However, when I try to turn on the Karbonite overlay in the big SCANsat map, the whole window goes transparent gray. None of the SCANsat buttons are there, etcetera. If I turn off the ORS layer, the window returns to normal. I honestly have no idea what's going on here.

A Project Karbonite sounds awesome! I can see not just RCS but a karbonite powered pulse rocket.

Help - I am having some difficulty in getting the SCANsat integration working. I followed the instructions in the Youtube video that RoverDude posted. However, when I try to turn on the Karbonite overlay in the big SCANsat map, the whole window goes transparent gray. None of the SCANsat buttons are there, etcetera. If I turn off the ORS layer, the window returns to normal. I honestly have no idea what's going on here.

Try this in the SCANSat dev thread as it sounds.. weird

KSPI uses the ORS resource Hydrogen as the KSP resource LiquidFuel.

I know representing hydrogen as LiquidFuel isn't perfectly realistic - LF is closer in density to RP-1, and the LF/O mixture ratio is closer to RP-1/N204 or UDMH/N204 - but I haven't found an alternative that I like better, mainly because there are a lot of engines in stock and other mods that are based on or similar in performance to hydrogen-burning engines. If you leave those burning LF, you're left with the incongruity of hydrogen being used for everything except chemical rockets. If you try to convert them, that's a pretty big zoo of configs to maintain if you're not otherwise interested in RealFuels.

One request, can we get the:

deactivateIfFull = true

changed to false on the converter parts to bring it in line with the behavior of the KSP-I (ISRU) and MKS parts? The reason is so you can set up a production chain and leave it running just adding parts/fuel and taking away finished product as needed.

So say I have a station I use for Karbonite refining, and I am using the MKS orbital logistics part. I set up the converters and set up a orbital delivery of Karbonite, the way it is now the converters will stop before the Karbonite arrives.

deactivateIfFull = true

changed to false on the converter parts to bring it in line with the behavior of the KSP-I (ISRU) and MKS parts? The reason is so you can set up a production chain and leave it running just adding parts/fuel and taking away finished product as needed.

So say I have a station I use for Karbonite refining, and I am using the MKS orbital logistics part. I set up the converters and set up a orbital delivery of Karbonite, the way it is now the converters will stop before the Karbonite arrives.

Well they stop if the fuelt anks youa re convering into are full so you don't waster karbonite.

deactivateIfFull = true

(See below)

Well they stop if the fuelt anks youa re convering into are full so you don't waster karbonite.

Also bear in mind MKS has an on-rails converter, this particular converter does not.

(Edit) provide me some samples of KSP-I parts that work on rails please so I can see what converter they are using. Although KSPI itself unfortunately does not have a permissive license.

(See below)

(Edit) provide me some samples of KSP-I parts that work on rails please so I can see what converter they are using. Although KSPI itself unfortunately does not have a permissive license.

I'm pretty sure KSPI Antimatter collector works on rails.

I know representing hydrogen as LiquidFuel isn't perfectly realistic - LF is closer in density to RP-1, and the LF/O mixture ratio is closer to RP-1/N204 or UDMH/N204 - but I haven't found an alternative that I like better, mainly because there are a lot of engines in stock and other mods that are based on or similar in performance to hydrogen-burning engines. If you leave those burning LF, you're left with the incongruity of hydrogen being used for everything except chemical rockets. If you try to convert them, that's a pretty big zoo of configs to maintain if you're not otherwise interested in RealFuels.

My thought would be that Hydrogen is Hydrogen, and if a mod wants to convert it to LiquidFuel, go for it with a standard converter. Especially since there are lots of uses for Hydrogen and by having it transform into LiquidFuel it pulls it off of the list of stuff people can play with. But I want to see what comes with KSPI stock vs ORS stock.

I'm starting a new playthrough with Karbonite, and it looks like BasicRocketry has the BSP-1 karbonite Converter. Most of the basic tech seems to be under fuel systems, which I haven't reached yet. With no drills or tanks or collectors yet, it might make sense to have the converted listed under fuel systems, where most of the basic tech seems to be. Right now, having the converter under basic rocketry is like having a teaser. :)

I'm starting a new playthrough with Karbonite, and it looks like BasicRocketry has the BSP-1 karbonite Converter. Most of the basic tech seems to be under fuel systems, which I haven't reached yet. With no drills or tanks or collectors yet, it might make sense to have the converted listed under fuel systems, where most of the basic tech seems to be. Right now, having the converter under basic rocketry is like having a teaser. :)

Ahh that should be under Heavy Rocketry